PDA

View Full Version : a plague of trendster fans?

sld7c
11-01-2004, 12:24 AM
So after the regrettable win of the Red Sox, who seemed more Cubslike every time I saw them, I've seen a fair amount of White Sox gear around here and by here I mean Charlottesville, VA. Now I think there are two possibilities: 1. The people jumping on the Red Sox bandwagon are too dumb to realize that there are two teams with "Sox" in the name and mistakenly believe they are wearing Red Sox stuff. 2. The Red Sox aren't trendy anymore now that they've won and we're getting these dregs of baseball fandom. Don't laugh, Sox to Sox, and they can tell their superstitious selves a curse story from the Black Sox scandal. I figured they'd jump ship when Boston won I just thought they'd all become Cubs fans. Could be bit from column A and a bit from B, but it could be that Sox fans will know how those poor old decent Cubs fans from way back feel now that every idiot in the greater midwest must make some pilgrimmage to Wrigley. Of course maybe the genius of Reinsdorf will save us. Nothing scenic about the Cell.

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 12:39 AM
As long as those fools buy Sox hats and jerseys, and make a couple pilgrimages yearly to the Cell, I could care less. That being said, the first time I see someone at a game holding up a "reverse the curse" sign, I will punch them in the face.

StillMissOzzie
11-01-2004, 12:59 AM
As long as those fools buy Sox hats and jerseys, and make a couple pilgrimages yearly to the Cell, I could care less.
No, you couldn't care less. [/soapbox]

SMO
:gulp:

Unregistered
11-01-2004, 01:22 AM
So after the regrettable win of the Red Sox, who seemed more Cubslike every time I saw them, I've seen a fair amount of White Sox gear around here and by here I mean Charlottesville, VA. Now I think there are two possibilities: 1. The people jumping on the Red Sox bandwagon are too dumb to realize that there are two teams with "Sox" in the name and mistakenly believe they are wearing Red Sox stuff. 2. The Red Sox aren't trendy anymore now that they've won and we're getting these dregs of baseball fandom. Don't laugh, Sox to Sox, and they can tell their superstitious selves a curse story from the Black Sox scandal. I figured they'd jump ship when Boston won I just thought they'd all become Cubs fans. Could be bit from column A and a bit from B, but it could be that Sox fans will know how those poor old decent Cubs fans from way back feel now that every idiot in the greater midwest must make some pilgrimmage to Wrigley. Of course maybe the genius of Reinsdorf will save us. Nothing scenic about the Cell.
I'd put it all on #3: they are wearing Sox stuff cause it's FASHIONABLE.

My guess is that the people you are seeing in Charlottesville, VA wouldn't know Jose Valentin from Jose Cuervo - probably not even baseball fans at all.

PavanoBeltran'05
11-01-2004, 08:21 AM
I swear to God this has happened FOUR times in Memphis these last two weeks:

I am out at a local watering hole, and I see people wearing '83 Sox gear. I walk up to them and compliment them on the great selection of a baseball team. They look at me like they just lost their mother and say..."I thought this was the old Red Sox logo."

So, we're even getting bandwagon fans that don't know they're sporting White Sox gear.

soxnut
11-01-2004, 10:03 AM
A couple of weeks ago, Baron Davis was on Cold Pizza, he was wearing a sox cap. The interviewer noticed, aksed if he was a White Sox fan, he said " No, it just goes with the rest of what I'm wearing today.":(:

ode to veeck
11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
I met a waiter in Cozumel, Mexico last week wearing a tan Sox cap, but we could lose him if we don't resign Maggs

TDog
11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
In Septemer I saw more Sox gear for sale in Harrods on Knightsbridge Road in London than I've seen at sporting goods stores in Northwest Indiana in recent years.

fusillirob1983
11-01-2004, 12:59 PM
It was great during Bears training camp when Grossman was on tv wearing a Sox hat. It upset my girlfriend a lot, who's a huge Grossman fan and a real Cubs fan (probably is more knowledgeable about the Cubs and the Bears than most guys).

eshunn2001
11-01-2004, 01:10 PM
If a STUPID curse brings more fans to the Cell so be it. As long as people show up it's cool with me. And for people wearing White Sox gear, As long as it is being worn, I couldn't care less why. If the media/people want a new team to make national sweethearts, I am all for it being the Whitesox. I do not understand why everyone is soooooo against this. If it brings attention to the southside we should all be for it. (as long as the new found profits are thrown into making the SOX a better club.)

sld7c
11-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Point taken about more fans being good. Still I always mocked people who were Red Sox fans, even if they were from Boston and had grown up on the Red Sox, just for being associated with idiots who think ERA is a terrorist group or retirement plan. It's likely some if not most of our "new fans" are just too dumb to realize their wearing *White* Sox stuff. Especially since the 80s gear often has red on it.

MUsoxfan
11-02-2004, 12:25 AM
I think that we as a whole (as WSIers) have to differentiate ourselves from alot of people. We love a team so much that we sign-up on a website to do little more than bitch/moan/celebrate/chastise baseball. Not just the White Sox, but baseball as a whole. That being said....lots of people think that the White Sox logo is an especially nice logo (namely the 1983 one). Regardless of the reasoning that people are wearing the apparel with the Sox logo on it, they're advertising the White Sox. Would everyone rather Baron Davis wear a Cubs hat or a Twins hat because it matches his outfit? Absolutely not. I encourage everyone to wear Sox stuff. I don't care about their reasoning. Whether it be the curse, or their likening of the logo, or their actual allegiance to the team. We are not in a position as a fan base to be judging people as to why they wear Sox stuff. Just so long as it's being worn, it shouldn't matter to any of us what the reason is. If the Sox logo has TV time, then I'm happy. I still enjoy seeing Dr. Dre wearing a Sox hat in one of his videos about 10 years ago, and I'm quite sure he's not tuning into many games.

schmitty9800
11-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Twista's got a Sox hat/jacket on in his new video with Trick Daddy. I've got no problem with him representing the south side.

santo=dorf
11-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Twista's got a Sox hat/jacket on in his new video with Trick Daddy. I've got no problem with him representing the south side.Yeah, but he also wore a Cubs throwback in the "Slow Jamz" video. I was listening to "Dre. Day" the other day, and this lyric got my attention:
Now you might not understand me
Cause I'ma rob you in Compton and blast you in Miami
Then we gon creep to South Central
On a Street Knowledge mission, as I steps in the temple
Spot him, got him, as I pulls out my strap
Got my chrome to the side of his White Sox hat
You tryin to check my homey, you better check yo self
Cause when you diss Dre you diss yourself, MOTHER****ER P Diddy also wore this Sox jacket in B2k's "bump, bump, bump" video.
http://buy.mnnstore.com/images/WS59JKT_W.jpg

Kanye West (also from the South Side) wore this Jacket in the "Through the Wire" video.
http://buy.mnnstore.com/images/WS34JKT_W.jpg

balke
11-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Eh, people wear what they want, leave em' alone. Sox don't get worn a lot, so they probably are fashionable. I see a lot of Green and White Sox hats, oh well.

I admit I almost bought an Expos shirt this summer simply cause it looked "cool". Kinda wish I had it now, but wasn't in my size. So long spos.

Thus far, I do only have apparel of "My teams" being White Sox and Rockies. I stole my cousin's Black and Silver Cards hat for the playoffs, but can't seem to find it now. oh well. LEave faux sox fans alone, nothing but good can come from the free advertising.

soxnut
11-02-2004, 01:23 AM
I don't mind that Baron Davis was wearing the Sox stuff as I am just disappointed that he wasn't a fan. If he or others want to wear it then fine. As, for rappers wearing the stuff, oh well, I hate the crappy music, but whatever.

dcb33
11-02-2004, 01:29 AM
It shouldn't surprise anyone that RED Sox bandwagon jumpers are confusing RED Sox and White Sox gear. One of the things that irritates me the most is how journalists in general refer to the RED Sox as the Sox. Although shortening RED Sox to Sox saves ink and allows people to be lazy, the omission is not inconsequential. The White Sox have always had SOX on their cap and home uniform and thus lay claim to being called the Sox. The RED Sox on the other hand, have a B on their cap and RED SOX across their home uniform and have usually been referred to as the RED Sox until people figured out that it is easier to say Sox/Yanks than it is RED Sox/Yankees. Of course, if you're fool enough to jump on a team's bandwagon in the final week of the season, you'd probably be fool enough to buy anything with the word SOX on it and the way baseball is presented, you wouldn't be given reason to know better.

batmanZoSo
11-02-2004, 01:42 AM
I don't mind that Baron Davis was wearing the Sox stuff as I am just disappointed that he wasn't a fan. If he or others want to wear it then fine. As, for rappers wearing the stuff, oh well, I hate the crappy music, but whatever.

Yeah, man let's get David Bowie or Charlie Parker to wear Sox hat.. :cool: :?: :D:

sld7c
11-03-2004, 12:19 AM
I think that we as a whole (as WSIers) have to differentiate ourselves from alot of people. We love a team so much that we sign-up on a website to do little more than bitch/moan/celebrate/chastise baseball. Not just the White Sox, but baseball as a whole. That being said....lots of people think that the White Sox logo is an especially nice logo (namely the 1983 one). Regardless of the reasoning that people are wearing the apparel with the Sox logo on it, they're advertising the White Sox. Would everyone rather Baron Davis wear a Cubs hat or a Twins hat because it matches his outfit? Absolutely not. I encourage everyone to wear Sox stuff. I don't care about their reasoning. Whether it be the curse, or their likening of the logo, or their actual allegiance to the team. We are not in a position as a fan base to be judging people as to why they wear Sox stuff. Just so long as it's being worn, it shouldn't matter to any of us what the reason is. If the Sox logo has TV time, then I'm happy. I still enjoy seeing Dr. Dre wearing a Sox hat in one of his videos about 10 years ago, and I'm quite sure he's not tuning into many games.

As I type this on my Mac I stand ready to roundly condemn those who allow aesthetic considerations to play a role in important choices, i.e. baseball allegiance or computer purchases. Okay enough sarcasm. Yeah the Sox logo is nice, especially the turn of the century one (with the O and X in the S). I guess I just hate that whole genre of baseball fans. I mean okay I got into baseball late in life, but I know what's going on. I could tell you Willie Harris' batting average or Neal Cotts ERA to a pretty reasonable number for most of the season. I just resent it when anyone, regardless of the team says, "I'm into Cubs/Orioles/White or Red Sox", etc., and doesn' know anything about their team or even baseball. I don't want to be a snob but it does irk me. Maybe I'm just harsh cause I came to this so late who knows.

MUsoxfan
11-03-2004, 02:42 AM
As I type this on my Mac I stand ready to roundly condemn those who allow aesthetic considerations to play a role in important choices, i.e. baseball allegiance or computer purchases. Okay enough sarcasm. Yeah the Sox logo is nice, especially the turn of the century one (with the O and X in the S). I guess I just hate that whole genre of baseball fans. I mean okay I got into baseball late in life, but I know what's going on. I could tell you Willie Harris' batting average or Neal Cotts ERA to a pretty reasonable number for most of the season. I just resent it when anyone, regardless of the team says, "I'm into Cubs/Orioles/White or Red Sox", etc., and doesn' know anything about their team or even baseball. I don't want to be a snob but it does irk me. Maybe I'm just harsh cause I came to this so late who knows.

That's why we have to separate those people from us. They like baseball but they don't love it. We love it and sit here and bicker about it on a constant basis. People don't have to memorize stats to enjoy watching a team play baseball or rooting them on.

SOXSINCE'70
11-03-2004, 08:19 AM
That's why we have to separate those people from us. They like baseball but they don't love it. We love it and sit here and bicker about it on a constant basis. People don't have to memorize stats to enjoy watching a team play baseball or rooting them on.
They're too busy waving at the cameras and
talking on their cell phones to memorize anything.:angry: :angry: :angry:

sld7c
11-03-2004, 11:23 AM

Yeah but no one would get away with claiming they were a fan of chess if they didn't know how the Knight moved. I'm not saying you ought to know the stats of the minor leaguers or anything like that but there's some basic level of knowledge anyone should have if they're going to call themselves a baseball fan. At the very least the phrases "bunt" and "sacrifice fly" should not elicit blank stares. Then again they seem to get that from some White Sox players.

JKryl
11-03-2004, 12:05 PM
:bandance:If a STUPID curse brings more fans to the Cell so be it. As long as people show up it's cool with me. And for people wearing White Sox gear, As long as it is being worn, I couldn't care less why. If the media/people want a new team to make national sweethearts, I am all for it being the Whitesox. I do not understand why everyone is soooooo against this. If it brings attention to the southside we should all be for it. (as long as the new found profits are thrown into making the SOX a better club.)
You want more of these "fans" to show up? Not me. These are the idiots who get drunk at a Cubs game, then run out onto our field resulting in management closing off the lower deck to upper deck ticket holders, adding to costs by quadrupeling (at least) the security on the field, and starting fights because they don't know how to act. Additionally, assuming they do show up, what's going to happen with all the extra money? Do you think JR is going to spend it on the team? If so, you haven't been paying attention to the White Sox for long.:bandance::supernana::bandance:

eshunn2001
11-03-2004, 12:56 PM
:bandance:
You want more of these "fans" to show up? Not me. These are the idiots who get drunk at a Cubs game, then run out onto our field resulting in management closing off the lower deck to upper deck ticket holders, adding to costs by quadrupeling (at least) the security on the field, and starting fights because they don't know how to act. Additionally, assuming they do show up, what's going to happen with all the extra money? Do you think JR is going to spend it on the team? If so, you haven't been paying attention to the White Sox for long.:bandance::supernana::bandance:As long as they are paying, cheering for the Whitesox, They are fans. U.S cellular will never be filled with 45,000 die hards like you and I. It just is not going to happen. And, C'mon people are goint to get drunk at baseball games no matter what. I am in Anahiem i see it all the time over here. Same at dodger stadium. I have seen fights break out at times here as well. So it is not limited to stupid Cub fans.

Number 2 i disagree with the upper deck being allowed to come down to the fan deck. Alot of people were buying a cheap ticket and just coming down to the fan deck and getting better seats. It sucks. I am happy it is how it is.

Number 3 I said i do not mind as long as the extra profit was put towards the team.

soxnut
11-04-2004, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=eshunn2001]As long as they are paying, cheering for the Whitesox, They are fans. U.S cellular will never be filled with 45,000 die hards like you and I. It just is not going to happen. And, C'mon people are goint to get drunk at baseball games no matter what. I am in Anahiem i see it all the time over here. Same at dodger stadium. I have seen fights break out at times here as well. So it is not limited to stupid Cub fans. QUOTE]

You're right. I think it's unrealistic to think that there would be 45,00 die hards for ANY sporting event. You know, as much as people like to criticize the organization for not being fan-friendly, maybe some of the fans should take a look at themselves in the same capacity. No wonder casual fans don't show up.:(:

JKryl
11-06-2004, 12:42 AM
So after the regrettable win of the Red Sox, who seemed more Cubslike every time I saw them.
Yeah, except the Red Sox won it all. AH, hahahahahahahahah.:redneck

fuzzy_patters
11-06-2004, 12:53 AM
During the World Series I was congratulated three times about how well my team was doing. I usually wear my 1959 White Sox jacket. When people saw the red and black "Sox," they naturally assumed Red Sox. When I pointed to the patch on the sleeve that reads "Chicago-1959-American League Champions," they seemed to get it, but it was still annoying. The stupid part of it was that this happened in Indiana. How could anyone in the midwest have not known the "SOX" on my jacket meant White Sox?

Fenway
11-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Yesterday afternoon I saw more Red Sox hats than any other team while walking on Michigan Ave ( I am in town doing work for Comcast )

I did see as many White Sox hats as Cubs however. ( and one young lady in her South Side hitman tshirt )

Best part for me is how Yankees hats have vanished and if I do spot a NYY fan he looks at my new World Series hat and looks away with hurt in their eyes.

It will take a long time for NYY to recover from this.

04 chokers clap clap clap clap clap will replace 1918 as the chant in the Bronx.