PDA

View Full Version : Not the Yanks' year?

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2001, 12:40 AM
The Yankees looked decidedly human tonight, while the A's looked sharp (great pitching effort from Mulder, and Damon/Long/Giambi stepped up offensively).

Plus, more importantly, the breaks did not go the Yankees' way tonight, as they have the last half-decade of postseason play. They even had a few bad calls go against them, which NEVER happens in the playoffs. In short, they just didn't look like the swaggering, invincible Yankees of old.

I have faith that the A's can pull this off. I am certainly rooting for them to do it.

FarWestChicago
10-11-2001, 12:45 AM
If Izzy doesn't blow up, the A's will be tough to stop. And, he's been on the last few weeks.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2001, 12:51 AM
True, that. I witnessed a game against the Sox last year where Izzy balked in the tying run, and the Sox went on to win the game by 1 run.

But tonight? He was smoking the ball past the Yanks -- 96, 97 mph. I loved it.

Jerry_Manuel
10-11-2001, 12:53 AM
The Yankees looked old tonight.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The Yankees looked old tonight.

:harold :bashbro

You rang?

OutcastRadio
10-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Plus, more importantly, the breaks did not go the Yankees' way tonight, as they have the last half-decade of postseason play. They even had a few bad calls go against them, which NEVER happens in the playoffs.

Ain't THAT the truth....MAN, did the ump blow that call at first base!!!!

In 1998, there was a similar play involving my Tribe and the Yankees. Men on 1st and 2nd, 1 out, and Fryman bunts a ball down the 1B line. Tino Martinez gets it , turns and throws it into Fryman's back just before he gets to first. Fryman was inside the baseline, but the ump rules that he was close enough to the bag to warrant his running there.

the big problem was, Knoblauch stood there and pointed at Fryman, complaining to the ump while the ball rolled into right field. BOTH men scored and Fryman ended up at third while the argument carried on.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Outcast Radio

Ain't THAT the truth....MAN, did the ump blow that call at first base!!!!

In 1998, there was a similar play involving my Tribe and the Yankees. Men on 1st and 2nd, 1 out, and Fryman bunts a ball down the 1B line. Tino Martinez gets it , turns and throws it into Fryman's back just before he gets to first. Fryman was inside the baseline, but the ump rules that he was close enough to the bag to warrant his running there.

the big problem was, Knoblauch stood there and pointed at Fryman, complaining to the ump while the ball rolled into right field. BOTH men scored and Fryman ended up at third while the argument carried on.

Classic play. I still remember being in my car, coming home from Cub Foods, listening to the radio announcers screaming about Knoblauch's boneheaded play. It earned him the nickname "Knoblauch-head." I loved it.

Yes, Outcast, even *I* will root for the Indians, if they're playing the "right" team!

Bmr31
10-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

:harold :bashbro

You rang?

*****!!!