PDA

View Full Version : Would the Sox be interested in Glaus

SoxxoS
10-31-2004, 12:23 PM
2 years ago...W.S. MVP. Today: Completely fallen from grace. The Angels plan on starting rookie Dallas McPherson this year and releasing Glaus.

So, Glaus has surgery last season in May, doesn't have a very good year b/c of the shoulder, and still posts a .930 OPS for the year.

Granted his fielding has been pretty bad the past two years, but I think a lot of that can be attributed to that shoulder. He played with a labrum tear :o: :o: in 2003, and didn't have the surgery until May. Once again, he posted a higher OPS than Joe Crede did all year, minus May where he had a 1.018.

Here is where Jose Guillen comes into play. Stoneman was just quoted saying he wants major league talent in return for Guillen. I don't know if I would count Joe Crede as major league talent, but he is cheap and he brings a good glove. I am not sure how good the McPherson guy is supposed to be, but he is still going to be a rookie.

We are going to have to offer more than Crede for Guillen, but Stoneman wants him gone, and possibly he will get desperate.

We can then make a move for Troy Glaus off a down year and see what his salary demands are looking like. They shouldn't be rediculous...

Comments?

Jjav829
10-31-2004, 12:38 PM
I doubt it. He's basically Paul Konerko and if the rumors are true that he might have to move to 1B/DH, then he is Paul Konerko. I can think of better ways to spend the money he would want. I'm still not sold on Crede being a bust. With his newfound swing, I think we'll see him have a much better year in 2005.

I do kind of like the Jose Guillen idea if we trade Lee. He's due $3.5 million next year and the difference between Guillen and Lee isn't that big. Obviously there are some attitude problems, but maybe Ozzie could straighten him out. Guillen would be a better fit in right, and allow Everett to slide over to left. That $4.5 million we would save in the tradeoff of Lee to Guillen (combined with the money already set aside) would allow us to sign a starter and reliever.

beckett21
10-31-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm only guessing here, but I think that Glaus' days at 3B are all but over. I would look for him to make a move to 1B or DH. Too bad, because he has a decent glove IMO. That shoulder is just too beat up. Despite the injury and surgery, he had a nice year at the plate when he played. He will command more in salary than we can afford for another DH/1B.

I have always liked him, but I just don't see where he would fit unless the Sox move Konerko in a deal somewhere. Guillen would be a better option to go after in trade.

Also, I would have to agree with you that Joe Crede does not qualify as *Major League Talent*. By all accounts, McPherson is going to be a good one. They don't need Joltin' Joe.

beckett21
10-31-2004, 12:39 PM
I doubt it. He's basically Paul Konerko and if the rumors are true that he might have to move to 1B/DH, then he is Paul Konerko. I can think of better ways to spend the money he would want. I'm still not sold on Crede being a bust. With his newfound swing, I think we'll see him have a much better year in 2005.

I do kind of like the Jose Guillen idea if we trade Lee. He's due $3.5 million next year and the difference between Guillen and Lee isn't that big. Obviously there are some attitude problems, but maybe Ozzie could straighten him out. Guillen would be a better fit in right, and allow Everett to slide over to left. That $4.5 million we would save in the tradeoff of Lee to Guillen (combined with the money already set aside) would allow us to sign a starter and reliever.
Yeah, what he said. :redneck

jabrch
10-31-2004, 01:01 PM
We have bigger needs than 3B. Right now, Crede has to have one more shot. And Fields isn't so far off. Glaus would get 3 years at least. So having him might block Fields a bit. And in any case, the prospect of Glaus moving to 1B/DH clogs up what is already a logjam there that we have (Frank, PK, Gload, etc.)

MrKinsella
10-31-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm with these guys on Glaus no being a viable option, but I posted on this Guillen thing last night with hopes that we could get him and some of that great pen for Lee. People thought that was crazy because of Guillens attitude, but money saved and bullpen relief are things I find hard to argue with. Lee is 3rd in the AL in OPS and Guillen is 4th, just thought it was worth mentioning.

beckett21
10-31-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm with these guys on Glaus no being a viable option, but I posted on this Guillen thing last night with hopes that we could get him and some of that great pen for Lee. People thought that was crazy because of Guillens attitude, but money saved and bullpen relief are things I find hard to argue with. Lee is 3rd in the AL in OPS and Guillen is 4th, just thought it was worth mentioning.The only thing that scares me about Guillen is the way he seems to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes. His talent, however, is without question in my book. That bazooka he calls an arm would be a welcome addition, not to mention his bat which should more than offset that of C Lee.

Seems like the kind of move KW might make, high risk/high reward. Who knows, if Guillen comes into a situation where he would unquestionably be the man (Thomas nonwithstanding), he could thrive. Anaheim has driven his market value down thanks to their public stance regarding his status with the team. I would imagine that someone is going to get a helluva deal for him.

That said, I am not trying to push El Caballo out the door. But in the hypothetical scenario in which the Sox would trade Lee for Guillen and bullpen help...I don't know how anyone could not at least explore that possibility.

Unless they want Everett instead! :cool:

SoxxoS
10-31-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm still not sold on Crede being a bust. With his newfound swing, I think we'll see him have a much better year in 2005.
Jjav...you are going to believe that propoganda BS? A newfound swing? Come on, he has been playing baseaball for over 20 years. Changing a swing isn't that easy.

munchman33
10-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Jjav...you are going to believe that propoganda BS? A newfound swing? Come on, he has been playing baseaball for over 20 years. Changing a swing isn't that easy.
LOL, yeah, but most of those were his childhood. The kid's still young, give him another chance. If we sign a shortstop, we'll have somewhat of an insurance policy. If Crede falters again, Uribe can spend the season at 3rd with Willie at 2nd. Willie's not the greatest option at 2nd, but he's servicable and does bring other things to the table if he's not hitting.

SOXBOY
10-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Forget Glaus with Crede and Fields it makes no sense but Lee for Gullien/BP help sounds good.If the Angels go after Nomar the Sox should try and go after Eckstien.He a grinder the kind of guy KW always talks about getting and i think a better fit than Vizquel.

soxwon
10-31-2004, 04:58 PM
If we trade both PK and LEE we are screwed

just one fellas

SoxxoS
10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Forget Glaus with Crede and Fields it makes no sense but Lee for Gullien/BP help sounds good.If the Angels go after Nomar the Sox should try and go after Eckstien.He a grinder the kind of guy KW always talks about getting and i think a better fit than Vizquel.
Fields isn't going to be ready (if ever...not saying he is a bust but I am not counting on any of our prospects) for at least until mid 2006...most likely 2007. I think Glaus's repaired shoulder has at least 2 more years left in it at the hot corner.

We won't resign Konerko, in which we would move Glaus over to 1B when needed. Great times.