PDA

View Full Version : Question on Rowand

RichH55
10-31-2004, 08:35 AM
Just wondering, in reference to the nickname "Crash"....A) How many times has he run into the wall, and B) In those times, how many time has he successfully caught the ball?

Thanks

I can also be emailed at RichH55@aol.com if you are feeling hospitable

Soxzilla
10-31-2004, 09:07 AM
I was under the assumption he got the name because of his dirtbike accident.

Jjav829
10-31-2004, 09:25 AM
I was under the assumption he got the name because of his dirtbike accident.
I think someone here called him by that nickname before the accident because of his aggressiveness which led him to crash into walls. Then he got into the dirtbike accident, and the team started calling him that. KW also gave him a jersey with Crash on it. If you ask me, KW stole the nickname from WSI. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Just wondering, in reference to the nickname "Crash"....A) How many times has he run into the wall, and B) In those times, how many time has he successfully caught the ball?

Thanks

I can also be emailed at RichH55@aol.com if you are feeling hospitable
If I remember correctly,"Hawk" was calling him "Crash" in 2001.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-31-2004, 09:30 AM
If I remember correctly,"Hawk" was calling him "Crash" in 2001.
He ran into the wall at least twice that season because he routinely made a little leaguer's mistake, locking his eyes on the ball and never checking where he was on the field. Hawk named him Crash and it stuck with the fans. Meanwhile his teammates nicknamed him Robocop for the way he fielded.

RichH55
10-31-2004, 09:43 AM
He ran into the wall at least twice that season because he routinely made a little leaguer's mistake, locking his eyes on the ball and never checking where he was on the field. Hawk named him Crash and it stuck with the fans. Meanwhile his teammates nicknamed him Robocop for the way he fielded.
PHG,
Do you have a cite for where teammates called him Robocop....I would very much appreciate that if you had it

Thanks

PaleHoseGeorge
10-31-2004, 10:27 AM
PHG,
Do you have a cite for where teammates called him Robocop....I would very much appreciate that if you had it

Thanks
I'm pretty sure it was the Cubune's beat writer (Paul Sullivan?) who wrote about it in his daily Sox odds & ends feature back during Rowand's rookie season. This is the same time the nickname Crash was just getting started, too.