PDA

View Full Version : Question about JR

LAWSfan
10-31-2004, 02:15 AM
Has anybody ever tried to buy the team from JR?

TornLabrum
10-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Has anybody ever tried to buy the team from JR?
Reinsdorf does not own the White Sox. The figure I've seen bandied about is that he owns about 5%. Reinsdorf is the CEO. This puts him in charge of the operations of the club. He and Eddie Einhorn put together the group that bought the Sox from a group that Bill Veeck fronted. IIRC some of the names are the same in both ownership groups (Lee Stern, for example, I think was in both). The club is not JR's to sell.

CubKilla
10-31-2004, 10:07 AM
I remember hearing or reading that, in the late 80's-early 90's, a one Jerry Colangelo asked Reinsdorf if the White Sox were for sale. Reinsdorf, of course, said no. Jerry Colangelo went on to own the Arizona Diamondbacks and has 1 WS ring to Reinsdorf's 0.

ewokpelts
10-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Reinsdorf does not own the White Sox. The figure I've seen bandied about is that he owns about 5%. Reinsdorf is the CEO. This puts him in charge of the operations of the club. He and Eddie Einhorn put together the group that bought the Sox from a group that Bill Veeck fronted. IIRC some of the names are the same in both ownership groups (Lee Stern, for example, I think was in both). The club is not JR's to sell.The sox were sold for 20 million in 1981. Jerry put 1 million in. It's 1/20th of the team, or 5%.
Gene

LAWSfan
10-31-2004, 03:50 PM
The sox were sold for 20 million in 1981. Jerry put 1 million in. It's 1/20th of the team, or 5%.
Gene
So what if the majority owner decides to replace JR as CEO? And while not doubting what you said, JR could have bought more shares of the team since 1981.

jdm2662
10-31-2004, 03:51 PM
I believe the exact figure is like 13% now. I remember hearing that on the old Sportswriters on TV.
________
GIUGIARO FORD MUSTANG PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Giugiaro_Ford_Mustang)

spataro51
11-01-2004, 01:20 PM
I really don't know if anyone has approached Jerry about selling the team to them. But i do know that last year their was a rumor floating around in the tabloids that Donald Trump was looking to invest and own a sports team. Well since he is building his tower here and he says he is going to buy up property and make more business in the downtown area, he says he wants to make chicago his second home. Why not make a run at it Don? Heck he would invest all kinds of money on players to win a championship, sort of like a war with steinbrenner.

Dolanski
11-01-2004, 01:52 PM
I really don't know if anyone has approached Jerry about selling the team to them. But i do know that last year their was a rumor floating around in the tabloids that Donald Trump was looking to invest and own a sports team. Well since he is building his tower here and he says he is going to buy up property and make more business in the downtown area, he says he wants to make chicago his second home. Why not make a run at it Don? Heck he would invest all kinds of money on players to win a championship, sort of like a war with steinbrenner.
Wow, replace a bad owner with another bad owner? Sounds like a great plan to me. Remember, Donald Trump was the one who overspent and destroyed the USFL. Also, he is an ego driven jerk with bad hair whose "empire" seems to always be one step away from bankruptcy in one way or another. Sounds like a great owner to me.

Jerry may be cheap, and has a terrible reputation, but he at least is a baseball fan. For that matter, it has been stated several times that he wants a WS more than anything.

Granted, we have nothing to show for it, but you can't completely ignore that the White Sox have been one of the better teams in baseball over the past few years. True, they haven't won a damn thing, but we are still far from being the Devil Rays or Kansas City. Furthermore, we have had a shot every year since 2000 to be in the playoffs and have crumbled for various reasons (injuries, bad managing, underperformance, bad moves, etc) but never for lack of trying.

I admit the whole budget thing is annoying and the PR of this team leaves something to be desired, but still, things could be a lot worse. I guess I just don't see a new owner making the grass greener around here.

cornball
11-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Where would we be now if DeBartolo was able to buy the team back in 1980?

That was JR and EE competition in 1981. In fact, (some of you older guys help me) I remember Ron LeFloure coming to the Sox with a large contract at the time because Bartollo wanted him and many thought his group was going to be approved.

They squashed the deal for seveal reason, but looking back I am sure we would have been better off.

DumpJerry
11-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I'd rather all my female relatives have an orgy with Sammy Sosa than allow Donald Trump own the White Sox. He would destroy the team and make us wish for Uncle Jerry. Trust me. The man (Trump) is an idiot.

samram
11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
I'd rather all my female relatives have an orgy with Sammy Sosa than allow Donald Trump own the White Sox. He would destroy the team and make us wish for Uncle Jerry. Trust me. The man (Trump) is an idiot.
Agreed. Trump's TV show is a cult of personality. I've heard he's close to insolvency again.

Mickster
11-01-2004, 04:23 PM
:nandrolone
"I would like that very much!"

TDog
11-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Where would we be now if DeBartolo was able to buy the team back in 1980?....
I would probably still be in Alaska. I don't know where you would be. But I do know Chicago would have only one major league team.