PDA

View Full Version : Shoring up the bullpen

The_Floridian
10-30-2004, 12:35 AM
The Yankees declined their option on Paul Quantrill today. Should we be looking to sign this guy?

Everyone has been talking about how we need to get our bullpen in shape. Who else should we be looking at this offseason? Any ideas?

Personally, I think the five guys we have coming back in our pen will do alright if they get some decent help. Adkins should be a decent long reliever. Marte and Shingo can close the door. Politte and Cotts can hold down the seventh or the eighth. I just don't want this to be ALL we have in there.

We need at least two guys in the pen. No disputing that.

So who do we get?

Discuss.

LAWSfan
10-30-2004, 12:54 AM
The Yankees declined their option on Paul Quantrill today. Should we be looking to sign this guy?

So who do we get?

Discuss.
Quantrill has injury problems. I think he hurt his knee and missed some games this year. Plus he's in his 30's.

I would like to see them develop the closer of the future. A lot of the best closers were set up men and then took over when they were ready. Rivera set up Wettland, Percival set up Lee Smith, heck Foulke set up Howry. Shingo is good but he'll be 36 next year. Let's develop our next closer.

nodiggity59
10-30-2004, 12:56 AM

Everyone has been talking about how we need to get our bullpen in shape. Who else should we be looking at this offseason? Any ideas?

Personally, I think the five guys we have coming back in our pen will do alright if they get some decent help. Adkins should be a decent long reliever. Marte and Shingo can close the door. Politte and Cotts can hold down the seventh or the eighth. I just don't want this to be ALL we have in there.

So who do we get?

Discuss.The option the Yankees declined is for 2006, he'll be with them this year. A little strange to have to decide a year before, but there it is. Would've been nice to take a shot at him.

I'd like to see Percival, Kline, or Wickman in White Sox unis for the right price. Maybe we could trade for Urbina. I've also got some interest in Braden Looper. Benitez will probably be swallowed up. I think the Sox could have a good pen so long as they add a proven closer. Percival would be ideal. I think we can get by in the regular season just fine with the likes of Shingo and Wickman closing, but that won't do it if we ever go anywhere.

Bottom line, w/ one nice pickup and Shingo-Marte-Politte-Adkins-Cotts-Grilli, I don't look for the pen to be a disaster.

FightingBillini
10-30-2004, 02:13 AM
I was upset when we got rid of Antonio Osuna. He was solid for us in '02 and he's a free agent. He can be had for relatively cheap.

munchman33
10-30-2004, 02:13 AM
The option the Yankees declined is for 2006, he'll be with them this year. A little strange to have to decide a year before, but there it is. Would've been nice to take a shot at him.

I'd like to see Percival, Kline, or Wickman in White Sox unis for the right price. Maybe we could trade for Urbina. I've also got some interest in Braden Looper. Benitez will probably be swallowed up. I think the Sox could have a good pen so long as they add a proven closer. Percival would be ideal. I think we can get by in the regular season just fine with the likes of Shingo and Wickman closing, but that won't do it if we ever go anywhere.

Bottom line, w/ one nice pickup and Shingo-Marte-Politte-Adkins-Cotts-Grilli, I don't look for the pen to be a disaster.
I may be wrong, but I think Urbina is a F.A.