PDA

View Full Version : Levine on Chicago Cubune Live.

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 06:23 PM
He says the Sox top priority is a SS who is the top of the order guy. He brought up Vizquel and how he is a native Venezuelan. He said John Hart of the Rangers is looking at Omar because he used to be the GM back in Cleveland.
He says the Sox also looking for another ace for the pitching staff. One of the other guys on the panel talks about how the Sox don't have money to spend with the contract they have with Freddy and Contreras. Bruce Levine then mention how Magglio's $14 million contract is coming off of the books, and he didn't say anything about that $14 million is being used to pay Freddy and Jose. He says the Sox will look at Russ Ortiz and Carl Pavano (because of his ties with Ozzie and how Pavano has mentioned that he doesn't want to play for the Yanks.) He also said that Derek Lowe's agent is Scott Boras.
I was really surprised that Levine didn't say Magglio's money was already spent. :smile:

Dare I say JR is committed to winning big next year by increasing the payroll? :noevil:

SoxxoS
10-29-2004, 07:07 PM
, and he didn't say anything about that $14 million is being used to pay Freddy and Jose.
Jose is coming off the books as well. GET OUT. :bandance:

Lip Man 1
10-29-2004, 07:20 PM
If the Sox are upping payroll that seems to be news to Bob Foltman of the Tribune in his story today (actually I read it this morning on their web site.)

Lip

SoxxoS
10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
If the Sox are upping payroll that seems to be news to Bob Foltman of the Tribune in his story today (actually I read it this morning on their web site.)

Lip
That story sounded opinion based, Lip. Truthfully, I don't think Foltman knows any more than us.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Then again he might...after all I haven't seen many of us at WSI talking to baseball management, players, agents or owners lately...or have I missed something.

I'm not saying it's gospel but the fact is he has the opportunity to get information from people who DO know and we don't. So he may wind up really knowing something.

We'll see.

Lip

SEALgep
10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Then again he might...after all I haven't seen many of us at WSI talking to baseball management, players, agents or owners lately...or have I missed something.

I'm not saying it's gospel but the fact is he has the opportunity to get information from people who DO know and we don't. So he may wind up really knowing something.

We'll see.

LipOr maybe he's full of beans, or should I say probably. Lip, a lot of guys "may" know something.

Brian26
10-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Her name is Steff. :D:

Flight #24
10-29-2004, 09:03 PM

We'll see.

Lip
Foltman says one things, Levine another, both theoretically have access to people who would know. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Brian26
10-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Foltman says one things, Levine another, both theoretically have access to people who would know. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.
Levine is Chicago's only true baseball insider (tm).

mantis1212
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Levine is Chicago's only true baseball insider (tm).
Eh, I don't know if Levine knows much of anything. I remember a day after the Garcia trade Levine was asked by Jurko or Harry if there's any chance Garcia signs an extension with the Sox before the season is over:

Levine: "I'd say there's no chance in that. It just makes sense for Garcia to wait until the end of the season." About 5 days later, he signed.

Tragg
10-30-2004, 12:33 AM
He says the Sox top priority is a SS who is the top of the order guy. :noevil:
Vizquel to plug a gaping SS hole is one thing; to count on him as our desparately needed "top of the order guy" is something else.
Valentin needed to go, but his 25 homers and what would be Maggs production in an injury-free year is a lot of power to waive bye bye to. I doubt it's covered by a 37 year old SS at the top of the order even if he's above average (not great) at getting on base. And at 37, it's a risk- a big one - if we're counting on him to be a spark plug offensively.

A younger OBP leadoff hitter, please Kenny

munchman33
10-30-2004, 02:12 AM
Dare I say JR is committed to winning big next year by increasing the payroll? :noevil::reinsy
"You dare not."

mikef1331
10-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Vizquel to plug a gaping SS hole is one thing; to count on him as our desparately needed "top of the order guy" is something else.
Valentin needed to go, but his 25 homers and what would be Maggs production in an injury-free year is a lot of power to waive bye bye to. I doubt it's covered by a 37 year old SS at the top of the order even if he's above average (not great) at getting on base. And at 37, it's a risk- a big one - if we're counting on him to be a spark plug offensively.

A younger OBP leadoff hitter, please Kenny
Personally.. I don't want the Sox to get Vizquel. There are better options on the FA market that the Sox should go after before Omar. I'm tired of seeing old Indians players at the end of their careers on the Sox. I thought this was a baseball team not a "reservation".

Flight #24
10-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Personally.. I don't want the Sox to get Vizquel. There are better options on the FA market that the Sox should go after before Omar. I'm tired of seeing old Indians players at the end of their careers on the Sox. I thought this was a baseball team not a "reservation".
It's a question of resources. Vizquel theoretically allows you to go get pitching or a better offensive player. If you think there's a better fit from that standpoint, I'd be interested to know who you feel that is.

gosox41
10-31-2004, 08:38 AM

We'll see.

Lip
After 2003 I remeber reading the same stuff about how the Sox won't increase payroll, yet they did.

From what I've heard, payroll is going up. Until JR has a quote that says it isn't or until KW opens up the 2005 season with a $65.5 mill payroll, I'll believe what I heard.

Bob

cornball
10-31-2004, 08:48 AM
It's a question of resources. Vizquel theoretically allows you to go get pitching or a better offensive player. If you think there's a better fit from that standpoint, I'd be interested to know who you feel that is.
Not only that Vizquel maybe the cheapest alternative at the SS position. He is on the downside, but still solid.

jordan23ventura
11-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Not only that Vizquel maybe the cheapest alternative at the SS position. He is on the downside, but still solid.
I agree. For all the talk of Valentin's "production" and all of his big HR's, how many times has he struck out when we needed to get a runner over or in? And for the talk that we need someone younger and better, that's like saying "why not go out and sign Chone Figgins and Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols?" The answer is that at SS, our options (at the moment) are as follows:

Rich Aurilia - no way
Orlando Cabrera - have to outbid Boston
Miguel Cairo - might not be a bad idea
Craig Counsell - no way
Deivi Cruz - maybe a minor league invite to ST?
Nomar - too much
Alex Gonzalez - would bring bad luck to any ball that touched his glove
Christian Guzman - we've discussed this before
Denny Hocking - no way
Barry Larkin - if he can move around still would be a decent option
Neifi Perez - invite to ST?
Desi Relaford - nice backup/bench guy
Edgar Renteria - too much
Rey Sanchez - can't hit
Jose Vizcaino - decent, but not good enough
Omar Vizquel - could work
Tony Womack - could work

So, the way I see it, we have only a few viable options for SS(monetarial constraints considered):

Omar Vizquel, Tony Womack, Miguel Cairo, Barry Larkin

And as far as second basemen are concerned, the only ones worth mentioning are Mark Bellhorn (K's too much), Brett Boone (should be looked into, but will likley be too expensive), Mark Grudzielanek, Placido Polanco (would be a good fit) or Jeff Kent (will probably cost more than Boone).

Flight #24
11-01-2004, 01:50 PM
And as far as second basemen are concerned, the only ones worth mentioning are Mark Bellhorn (K's too much), Brett Boone (should be looked into, but will likley be too expensive), Mark Grudzielanek, Placido Polanco (would be a good fit) or Jeff Kent (will probably cost more than Boone).
I would take Bellhorn in a heartbeat, but I'd guess that he'll be highly valued after his decent playoff showing. The 2 times in his career when he's had consistent ABs, he's put up OBPs in the .370s. You want OBP, there it is. If you have 6mil tospend on O, and you go get Vizquel & Bellhorn, you can throw a ton of OBP at the top of the order in front of Frank, Lee, Konerko, ARow, Everett, Uribe. The onoly offensive hole will be C and your limeup will score a ton of runs.

But I don't think he'll be available, Boston will resign him and probably closer to 4mil than 2.

Unregistered
11-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Deivi Cruz - maybe a minor league invite to ST?
That would give me plenty of opportunities to do this:
http://www.stu-man.com/vintage/123cruz.jpg= http://members.aol.com/essobmcc/brakbook/tees/s-brak.gif

wdelaney72
11-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I would take Bellhorn in a heartbeat, but I'd guess that he'll be highly valued after his decent playoff showing. The 2 times in his career when he's had consistent ABs, he's put up OBPs in the .370s. You want OBP, there it is. If you have 6mil tospend on O, and you go get Vizquel & Bellhorn, you can throw a ton of OBP at the top of the order in front of Frank, Lee, Konerko, ARow, Everett, Uribe. The onoly offensive hole will be C and your limeup will score a ton of runs.

But I don't think he'll be available, Boston will resign him and probably closer to 4mil than 2.
Bellhorn? No thanks.

As far as the list of available FA SS goes, Royce Clayton is also available.

Renteria, too much?? I disagree, and I think the Cards will let him walk, but that doesn't really address the leadoff hitting situation.

I know this has been discussed on other threads, but Juan Pierre would be the solution to our leadoff problem.

Flight #24
11-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Bellhorn? No thanks.

As far as the list of available FA SS goes, Royce Clayton is also available.

Renteria, too much?? I disagree, and I think the Cards will let him walk, but that doesn't really address the leadoff hitting situation.

I know this has been discussed on other threads, but Juan Pierre would be the solution to our leadoff problem.
What about Bellhorn's .370 OBP don't you like in that lineup? I know he's no defensive wizard, but heck - platoon him there with Willie Harris and play him the rest of the time in RF. Or if you really like, make him a fulltime RF and go Crede-Vizquel-Uribe in the IF.

His K's dont' worry me so much since despite them he's got a very good OBP. He alone would be huge boost to turning all of those solo shots into 3-run dingers. Also, can you imagine him & Vizquel in front of Frank? We'd be seeing a ton of ropes by Hurt, or a bunch of 1st & 2d or bases loaded situations for Carlos.

Jerko
11-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Jose is coming off the books as well. GET OUT. :bandance:
I think he was talking about Jose Contreras, not Valentin.