PDA

View Full Version : WSI Is the Go-To Source

TornLabrum
10-29-2004, 06:00 PM
It's beginning to become apparent that WSI is becoming the go-too source for reporters who want to know how Sox fans are thinking. I was contacted by the same AP reporter who interviewed PHG, but was unable to connect with her because I was out of the house.

However, a quote from one of my recent columns concerning curses appeard in yesterday's Kansas City Star. George has been interviewed on numerous occasions, most notably, IMHO, in a very long interview a few years ago on The Score. I was interviewed this past summer and was quoted extensively in the online Mudville Magazine.

Then there are numerous local newspaper articles in which topics on our message boards have been cited, and in many cases quoted.

The only conclusion I can reach about this is that if the Sox don't get much respect in the media, at least WSI does!

DrCrawdad
10-29-2004, 06:06 PM
It's beginning to become apparent that WSI is becoming the go-too source for reporters who want to know how Sox fans are thinking. I was contacted by the same AP reporter who interviewed PHG, but was unable to connect with her because I was out of the house.

However, a quote from one of my recent columns concerning curses appeard in yesterday's Kansas City Star. George has been interviewed on numerous occasions, most notably, IMHO, in a very long interview a few years ago on The Score. I was interviewed this past summer and was quoted extensively in the online Mudville Magazine.

Then there are numerous local newspaper articles in which topics on our message boards have been cited, and in many cases quoted.

The only conclusion I can reach about this is that if the Sox don't get much respect in the media, at least WSI does!

I remember back during VineGate Ron Rappaport quoted WSI posters comments.

WSI is an awesome site!

Daver
10-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I have been contacted more than a few times to help the media, either by supplying an opinion, or in helping find volunteers for various projects. Wilkes was on TV in a panel discussion of Sox/Cubs fans from my recomendation.

I think it speaks volumes about the legitimacy of this website, and for what it stands for.

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 06:29 PM
I have been contacted more than a few times to help the media, either by supplying an opinion, or in helping find volunteers for various projects. Wilkes was on TV in a panel discussion of Sox/Cubs fans from my recomendation.
Was Wilkes on that CLTV special where they had 3 Cubs fans and 3 Sox fans talk about each other teams and ballparks around 2003?
One part I remember about it.

Lou Canellis: "Cub Fan #1, what do you like about Comiskey Park?"

(chunky) Cub Fan #1: "Well, their ballpark food is pretty good."

Sox fan immediately replies: "Yeah, it sure looks like it."

:rolling:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2004, 09:06 PM
I still fondly remember the night back in 1999 when WSI was still just a one man operation. I was conducting the polling for WSI's Sox Fans' Hall of Fame and I was accepting votes for all-time starting third basemen. I was calmly listening to Dave Wills' Sox post-game show when he suddenly mentioned the name of the website and how he was going to vote for his partner, Beltin' Bill Melton. Then he went to the website and told everyone he was going to stuff the box a few more times for Meltie.

Ah, vote early and vote often. :wink:

That was quite a thrill, the first time the website got any media attention, and it sent shivers up my spine. Naturally Melton won the voting, too.

:gulp:

:wills
"That's right, laddy. You don't have to be from the 11th Ward to know how it's done."

:knue
"Damned technogeeks!"

Brian26
10-29-2004, 09:07 PM

:rolling:
LOL!!!!

hsnterprize
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I still fondly remember the night back in 1999 when WSI was still just a one man operation. I was conducting the polling for WSI's Sox Fans' Hall of Fame and I was accepting votes for all-time starting third basemen. I was calmly listening to Dave Wills' Sox post-game show when he suddenly mentioned the name of the website and how he was going to vote for his partner, Beltin' Bill Melton. Then he went to the website and told everyone he was going to stuff the box a few more times for Meltie.

Ah, vote early and vote often. :wink:

That was quite a thrill, the first time the website got any media attention, and it sent shivers up my spine. Naturally Melton won the voting, too.

:gulp:

:wills
"That's right, laddy. You don't have to be from the 11th Ward to know how it's done."

:knue
"Damned technogeeks!"And being a Sox fan in the media is surely a proud tag to wear when you refer to WSI for more info than you can shake a stick at. George, this is a helluva site, and I'm one of many who are proud to call it my "on-line home" when it comes to White Sox baseball. Keep up the good work.

BTW...I've been interviewing over the past couple of months for a producer gig at WLS AM 890. If I get a legit position over there, I'll make sure I spread the WSI gospel to folks like Roe Conn, Jay Marvin, Jim Johnson, and the rest of the crew. Marvin, by the way, is a confirmed White Sox fan. He is on the air with Eileen Byrne (Cub fan...blech!!!!!) from 9 to 11 AM Monday thru Friday.

hsnterprize
10-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Was Wilkes on that CLTV special where they had 3 Cubs fans and 3 Sox fans talk about each other teams and ballparks around 2003?
One part I remember about it.

Lou Canellis: "Cub Fan #1, what do you like about Comiskey Park?"

:rolling: That WAS Wilkes on that panel dicussion. And...I was invited by Red Eye columnist Jimmy Greenfield to participate in that forum, but I couldn't make it due to prior commitments. I've e-mailed Jimmy over the past couple of years to ask if there would be another such forum. So far, no dice.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2004, 11:52 PM
We couldn't be better represented in the national media than by you guys. We may fight amongst ourselves from time to time, but when push comes to shove, I've got your backs.

hold2dibber
10-30-2004, 12:45 AM
We couldn't be better represented in the national media than by you guys. We may fight amongst ourselves from time to time, but when push comes to shove, I've got your backs.
As always, well said Nellie.

FarWestChicago
10-30-2004, 12:58 AM
I just bought us a new server. We'll be upgrading soon. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

hose
10-30-2004, 07:42 AM
George Washington Bova, founding father and commander in chief .

TornLabrum
10-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I couldn't have said it any better than this. We all share a common bond, and that that somehow, most of us at an age when we didn't know any better, we all became White Sox fans. That means we all share in the annual futility of the pennant race and the occasional futility of a short post-season.

Heck, if nothing else, I have to like Nellie because he has taken the name of the man I regard as the player most representative of the Sox...and my favorite player growing up.

hsnterprize
10-30-2004, 09:20 AM

The only conclusion I can reach about this is that if the Sox don't get much respect in the media, at least WSI does!I'd like to post a Sun-Times "Instant Message" quote from someone openly disgusted with the Steve Stone debacle at the Urinal.

Scott writes...

Steve Stone was the one and only thing that was right about the Cubs. No matter how bad the team was, Stone was always on top of hos game. The nudging out of Stone should be the last straw for Cubs fans. For the first time, it makes me glad that Chicago has another baseball team to support.

The reason why I'm posting that here instead of a Steve Stone board is because I'm thinking we shouldn't be surprized if this person comes to WSI in the near future. Not to mention, he's saying what we've been saying about the Cubs and their greediness for the longest time. Hopefully, Scott will check out WSI, and read all our stuff about how we can see the stuff we've written about the Cubs. Maybe then, everything will start to sink in, and he'll see the Cubs aren't even worth the ink that's used to print in the paper.

joeywpb
10-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Nice. On the yahoo front page there is a story about the sox/cubs. In the AP story the last quote is from PHG, and I might add a very good quote at that.

ondafarm
10-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Nice. On the yahoo front page there is a story about the sox/cubs. In the AP story the last quote is from PHG, and I might add a very good quote at that.
A good quote indeed, thank you George for doing such a good job here (and cutting me some slack, occasionally.)

Mickster
10-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Link?

SSN721
10-30-2004, 10:37 AM
I have to say thanks as well George. I know that the subject of this thread is true because I found this site due to the same John Kass article quoted on the home page. Ever since then I have been checking in here at least once a day to see how things are going and the sentiments of the fans of the team here. Its a great place and everytime I meet a fellow Sox fan I pass on the website for them to check out. Even had a couple chances on IMDb when I met a few Sox fans there. Although one told me that he was a soxtalk afficianado. I must ask since this is the only board I frequent, he brought up there was a bitter rivalry between this site and soxtalk, just wondered if anyone can elaborate on that since I have never looked at the site and was unaware of it. Anyway, great site keep it up, glad to see that we get new members everyday and even though we can all disagree on the front office, players, etc. the vigorous and intelligent debates always keep me coming back and wanting to participate. Thanks George and keep up the phenomonal work.

TornLabrum
10-30-2004, 10:43 AM
I have to say thanks as well George. I know that the subject of this thread is true because I found this site due to the same John Kass article quoted on the home page. Ever since then I have been checking in here at least once a day to see how things are going and the sentiments of the fans of the team here. Its a great place and everytime I meet a fellow Sox fan I pass on the website for them to check out. Even had a couple chances on IMDb when I met a few Sox fans there. Although one told me that he was a soxtalk afficianado. I must ask since this is the only board I frequent, he brought up there was a bitter rivalry between this site and soxtalk, just wondered if anyone can elaborate on that since I have never looked at the site and was unaware of it. Anyway, great site keep it up, glad to see that we get new members everyday and even though we can all disagree on the front office, players, etc. the vigorous and intelligent debates always keep me coming back and wanting to participate. Thanks George and keep up the phenomonal work.
AFAIK if there is any "rivalry" between WSI and SoxTalk, it's coming from the SoxTalk folks. If you look around the message boards here, you rarely find a reference to that web site, and the references I've seen here haven't been derogatory.

I know I have no animosity for that web site. I lurk there occasionally, and it's okay, I guess, but I've been a WSIer from the start, and spend my limited time daily here and on the AOL message board (a good group of fans) and the White Sox Mailing List.

cornball
10-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Thats right, we are behind you .........way behind you. Seriously, you guys have been great, I love the site and thank everyone involved.

Paulwny
10-30-2004, 10:53 AM
The "rivalry" is a one way street possibly started by former WSI posters who have been banned from this site and now post on soxtalk.

SSN721
10-30-2004, 11:11 AM
The "rivalry" is a one way street possibly started by former WSI posters who have been banned from this site and now post on soxtalk.

Ah I see, that definitely makes a lot of sense. Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I was just curious about that. Especially when he specifically said "bitter rivaly" just because I have never really seen any references to that site on here.

SoxxoS
10-30-2004, 11:31 AM

I think it speaks volumes about the legitimacy of this website, and for what it stands for.
That WAS true...when we had PI as one of the forums...

Soxheads
10-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Ah I see, that definitely makes a lot of sense. Thanks for shedding some light on the situation. I was just curious about that. Especially when he specifically said "bitter rivaly" just because I have never really seen any references to that site on here.

Just like over here at ST we're trying to quell the bitterness. Both sites have postitives and negatives. It's just whatever a person wants. Both sites are doing well with 1 million combined posts. WSI is certainly one of the most reputable sites out there....I check it every so often....we're just trying to do the same with ST and FS.

Of course, there's going to be a churro eating contest between the two sites next season. Tickets are 5 bucks a pop. Winner gets the golden banana..... :smile: