PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox consider


Daver
10-10-2001, 09:19 PM
Bringing in Rod Carew as hitting coach for next year?

He is available.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by daver
Bringing in Rod Carew as hitting coach for next year?

He is available. yes or tony gywmn(sp)

FarWestChicago
10-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
yes or tony gywmn(sp) Tohy has a job at San Diego State, where his son is going.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2001, 09:33 PM
Good idea, and he has coaching experience already. Our young players would benefit and respect Rod Carew.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Tohy has a job at San Diego State, where his son is going. i know, but to coach in the majors............ but then again, he can always coach later....... yeah i can see your point.

Daver
10-10-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i know, but to coach in the majors............ but then again, he can always coach later....... yeah i can see your point.

I heard an interveiw with Tony and he outright said that the only coaching job he would consider was at San Diego state.He turned down an offer from the Padres.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by daver


.He turned down an offer from the Padres. i didn't know about the first part, but i thought he was mad at padres for the way they treated him in the off-season and the beginning part of the yr.... i was reading something like that in BA

Vsahajpal
10-11-2001, 12:47 AM
I think that's a bad choice, he didn't exactly work wonders with a team that struck out the most times in MLB history. Granted he had some free swingers like Jose K Hernandez and Sexson, but you'd think he'd be able to instill some semblance of pitch recognition in them.

The teams a lot with different with the Hurt in the lineup; they'll score more than 850 runs next year.

doublem23
10-11-2001, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The teams a lot with different with the Hurt in the lineup; they'll score more than 850 runs next year.

Well, think of how scary this offense could be with both Frank and Carew for the young guys to follow!

:hitless
I don't care who this "Carew" guy is. If I want to listen to my tunes, I'm gonna blow of BP to do so!

Vsahajpal
10-11-2001, 01:04 AM
I guess my point is Carew isn't exactly the man who should be teaching young guys to hit. The buzz down here is that the Sox are interested in Johnny Damon. He'd be a good leadoff hitter, which is what the Sox need. They could probably package Caballo with Ginter and get a good pitcher, possibly a Vasquez or someone along those lines. In a year, Borchard will be brought up to play center, and considering he's a free swinger, would you want Rod Carew molding him?

I say no.

OfficerKarkovice
10-11-2001, 01:12 AM
How many years our left on Damon's contract? Lee and Ginter and other prospects seem to be a lot to give up for a guy who is notorious for terrrible starts to the season and then get hot late. And we all know how Sox fans feel about guys like that...
:hitless (with sheepish grin on face)

Vsahajpal
10-11-2001, 01:16 AM
Damon will be available as soon as the playoffs are finished. Vasquez would be a legitimate 20 game winner if he were on the Sox, or any respectable squad for that matter.

LongDistanceFan
10-11-2001, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Damon will be available as soon as the playoffs are finished. Vasquez would be a legitimate 20 game winner if he were on the Sox, or any respectable squad for that matter. what team does he pitch for? isn't johnny damon agent scott boras?

jklm
10-11-2001, 03:13 AM
I think he is talking about Javier Vázquez of Montreal.

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5/5947/

1.08 WHIP; inning eater; potential ace material

Considering the Expos traded RonDL White (a good player nonetheless) for Scott Downs, Clee + Ginter may be too much for Vázquez... (j/k).

Seriously, Ginter is a good bet to improve a lot next season, considering opponents only bat .238/.329/329 against him. He has a WHIP of 1.21 and allowed only 2 HRs in 39.2IP. He has pitched brilliantly in his young minor league career. To me, he has also pitched pretty well in the second half. He did have a 5.22ERA mainly due to his "luck"- 23 runs allowed, all earned in 39.2IP. I understand the Sox need to trade their young pitchers but Ginter is not Kevin Beirne/Aaron Myette/Scott Eyre etc...

Boras is indeed Damon's agent.

Randar68
10-11-2001, 12:58 PM
The buzz down here is that the Sox are interested in Johnny Damon.

I believe it, but who knows. Interested and signed are 2 different words. I would love to see it, but would also put Borchard in RF and move Maggs to Left. Maggs would be one of the top LF in baseball, and Borchard's arm would do well in RF where he would also be able to bulk up without becoming too cumbersome to play the field.

I love Carlos Lee, but If we could package any of our second tier prospects or a Kip Wells (Not confident he'll ever have it straightened out in his head) and get a Javier Vazquez, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Could you imagine a rotation in 2003 of:

Vazquez
Buehrle
Rauch
Malone
WHO CARES!

Unstoppable...

LongDistanceFan
10-11-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


I believe it, but who knows. Interested and signed are 2 different words. I would love to see it, but would also put Borchard in RF and move Maggs to Left. Maggs would be one of the top LF in baseball, and Borchard's arm would do well in RF where he would also be able to bulk up without becoming too cumbersome to play the field.

I love Carlos Lee, but If we could package any of our second tier prospects or a Kip Wells (Not confident he'll ever have it straightened out in his head) and get a Javier Vazquez, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Could you imagine a rotation in 2003 of:

Vazquez
Buehrle
Rauch
Malone
WHO CARES!

Unstoppable... he gave up 24 hrs........ that a lot. but if you guys are confident in him, i will give way to your thoughts. i don't know much about him.

Tragg
10-11-2001, 04:44 PM
We need someone who understands and appreciates the concept of walking and bat control. Carew should fit that bill.

What about a pitching coach? Our d.l. list keeps growing and growing and growing.

Tragg
10-11-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68




I love Carlos Lee, but If we could package any of our second tier prospects or a Kip Wells (Not confident he'll ever have it straightened out in his head) and get a Javier Vazquez, I would do it in a heartbeat.



I think we need to do something like that, instead of keep trying to get these players on the cheap - a few second tier prospects here for a clayton, another there for an embree. Hell, you use a lot of prospects, and get a bunch of crap.

Make a REAL move. It would probably involve trading lee or konerko - one caution on trading lee, he's coming off of a poor second half so he is at the bottom of his trade value. That isn't the time to trade someone. Lee should be able to play 1B - I'm more inclined to deal konerko, who should bring a lot.

An of of borchard - damon - maggs would by effing dynamite.

doublem23
10-11-2001, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Could you imagine a rotation in 2003 of:

Vazquez
Buehrle
Rauch
Malone
WHO CARES!

Unstoppable...

My heart just skipped a beat.... Not to mention the 2003 lineup we're praying for in this thread of:

C - Olivio? Perhaps, more than likely Mark Johnson (though Charles Johnson would be a stellar reacquisition)
1B - Konerko
2B - Durham - Hummel maybe
3B - Crede
SS - Valentin
LF/CF - Borchard/Damon - 1 of these guys could do it
RF - Ordonez
DH - Hurt

My heart just skipped another beat.

Jerry_Manuel
10-11-2001, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Could you imagine a rotation in 2003 of:

Vazquez
Buehrle
Rauch
Malone
WHO CARES!

Unstoppable...

:jon
I take it I am who cares.