PDA

View Full Version : Cards popularity in Illinois

Fenway
10-29-2004, 01:33 PM
The Boston media was remarking that outside of Chicago, St Louis may have more fans in Illinois than either the Cubs or White Sox. Looking at the radio networks, they maybe right

White Sox
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/schedule/radio_affiliates.jsp

Cubs
http://www.tribuneradio.com/cubsaffilliates.htm
St Louis
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/schedule/stl_schedule_tv_radio_affiliates.jsp#radio

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 01:47 PM
I dunno, ESPN 1000 is probably a much larger powerhouse than any of those stations, so there really isn't a need for affliates stations in the Chicago area. I also notice how the Sox and Cubs listed a "flagship" station, whereas St. Louis just had a bunch of affliates. Does St. louis have a flagship station?

I remember driving through Ohio a couple years ago, and it was weird to hear the Indians on 5 different stations.

PaulDrake
10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
It has been my experience that there are very few Sox fans in Illinois outside of the Chicagoland area. The Sox are not shut out but they are a distant third to the Cubs and Cards. It was a long time ago, but when I lived in Central Illinois, down to Peoria, Bloomington-Normal and Champaign the Cubs were the main team. Once you got to Decatur, Springfield and points south the landscape changed and it was Cardinals country. I was fairly close to some folks from Lincoln, Illinois and they were diehard Cardinal fans, and had lots of company.

LongLiveFisk
10-29-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm sure it doesn't hurt that St Louis has had a more successful franchise the past century. Winning tends to draw interest.

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm sure it doesn't hurt that St Louis has had a more successful franchise the past century. Winning tends to draw interest.
:reinsy
"Really? You guys promise to come out if I actually build a World Series contending team?"

Wealz
10-29-2004, 02:31 PM
There's no glory in just "being a White Sox fan" and I'm okay with that.

thepaulbowski
10-29-2004, 02:52 PM
It has been my experience that there are very few Sox fans in Illinois outside of the Chicagoland area. The Sox are not shut out but they are a distant third to the Cubs and Cards. It was a long time ago, but when I lived in Central Illinois, down to Peoria, Bloomington-Normal and Champaign the Cubs were the main team. Once you got to Decatur, Springfield and points south the landscape changed and it was Cardinals country. I was fairly close to some folks from Lincoln, Illinois and they were diehard Cardinal fans, and had lots of company.
Go East for Sox fans. Northwest Indiana has a lot of Sox fans. Also Northcentral (Michiana as it is referred to) has a lot of "Chicago" fans who don't get the whole Sox vs. Cubs thing, they like both teams.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2004, 02:57 PM
As already mentioned, northern Indiana is far more fertile ground for Sox Fans than anyplace downstate in Illinois. It's a function of how the interstate highways are laid out, the location of the ballparks, and the long-time AAA affiliation the Sox had in Indianapolis.

As for Cards and Cubs fans in Illinois, the old dividing line used to be someplace between Peoria (predominately Flubs fans) and Springfield (predominantly Cardinals fans). The allegiance of central Illinois is pretty much 50/50 between the Flubs and the Cards with the Sox getting hardly any support at all.

Obviously northern Illinois goes for the Flubs and southern Illinois goes for the Cards. This opinion is coming from someone who has traveled nearly every corner of the state the last 15 years on business.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2004, 02:59 PM
I dunno, ESPN 1000 is probably a much larger powerhouse than any of those stations, so there really isn't a need for affliates stations in the Chicago area. I also notice how the Sox and Cubs listed a "flagship" station, whereas St. Louis just had a bunch of affliates. Does St. louis have a flagship station?

I remember driving through Ohio a couple years ago, and it was weird to hear the Indians on 5 different stations.
St. Louis does have a flagship station- KMOX.

thepaulbowski
10-29-2004, 03:24 PM
As already mentioned, northern Indiana is far more fertile ground for Sox Fans than anyplace downstate in Illinois. It's a function of how the interstate highways are laid out, the location of the ballparks, and the long-time AAA affiliation the Sox had in Indianapolis.
Also, don't forget about the former team known as the South Bend Whitesox. They have since become a Diamondbacks affiliate, but the reason I am a Sox fan is because of going to those games when I was younger.

Ozzie the Clown
10-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Illinois has approx. 12 million people. Over half of which live in the Chicago metropolitan area. Their are not more St. L fans.

Plus, who really cares?

cburns
10-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I live not too far from Peoria, and I can tell you that in the local newspapers they always have the Cubs/Cardinals stories on the front page, and the Sox are always on page 2 or 3. I'm definately one of few Sox fans around here.

CubKilla
10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
St. Louis does have a flagship station- KMOX.
Which you can get at night even all the way up here in Chicago..... AM 1120.

balke
10-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Of that 12 mil, not all are chicago fans, and certainly not fans of the same team.

When you get to mid Illinois, and anything below, you are in Cardinals country, and it does go to the tip of the south and beyond. I mentioned this the other day, that if the SOx had a rival in ST. Louis it would really help bolster fan support throughout the state. There are very few Sox fans South of the Southside. If you're lucky you'll see someone wearing a Green Sox hat to look fashionable in fubu wear.

I would say overall, it's about tied between the amount of Cubs and Cards fans in the state of Illinois. Unfortunately the Sox don't have the same kind of stretch. I flaunt my flags and caps all around Springfield, and it never fails that a new sports fan I meet will say "You gotta be the only White Sox fan in town". Same for Carbondale, and the majority of kids there are from Chicago.

There's always a moronic drunk flub fan around to say something about the Cards, so they do have some stretch. But they don't have near the flood of fans as the Cards do outside of Chicago.

MrRoboto83
10-29-2004, 05:27 PM

As for Cards and Cubs fans in Illinois, the old dividing line used to be someplace between Peoria (predominately Flubs fans) and Springfield (predominantly Cardinals fans). The allegiance of central Illinois is pretty much 50/50 between the Flubs and the Cards with the Sox getting hardly any support at all.

Obviously northern Illinois goes for the Flubs and southern Illinois goes for the Cards. This opinion is coming from someone who has traveled nearly every corner of the state the last 15 years on business.

I live in NW Indiana and all I see is people walking around with Flub hats on, it makes me sick!! Here we live only 25 mins from the Cell!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I live in NW Indiana and all I see is people walking around with Flub hats on, it makes me sick!! Here we live only 25 mins from the Cell!!
Move.

:cool:

ChiSoxRowand
10-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I have heard that Champaign is the dividing line.

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 06:56 PM
I have heard that Champaign is the dividing line.I've always heard that it's Springfield, but it is weird to see Cardinal bars down here at U of I.