PDA

View Full Version : Grudzielanek?

eriqjaffe
10-29-2004, 01:29 PM
I saw that the Cubs have declined their option on Grudzielanek, making him available...anybody else think he might be a decent fit at 2B? Here's what ESPN.com has to say about him:

Grudzielanek is a line-drive hitter who uses the whole field. He doesn't have much home-run power, but gets his share of doubles on hard-hit balls down the lines and into the gaps. He is an aggressive hitter who rarely walks, although he did a better job of reigning in his aggression last year. He does his best hitting on the first pitch but does a good job of protecting the plate with two strikes. He's able to bunt a runner over when asked.

The long grass at Wrigley kept Grudzielanek's lack of range from being as much of a liability as it might have been. He's an otherwise above-average second baseman with a strong arm and a good double-play pivot. He still runs fairly well but has been known to run into outs at times.

Sure, he's not the best guy out there...but I think the Sox could certainly do worse.

Brian26
10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
No f'n way.

His tendon is messed up. He'll never be fully recovered. 2003 was a career year for him anyway.

Why would you, in a million years, want to pick up a scrubs castoff like this? Terrible, terrible move.

eriqjaffe
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
No f'n way.

His tendon is messed up. He'll never be fully recovered. 2003 was a career year for him anyway.

Why would you, in a million years, want to pick up a scrubs castoff like this? Terrible, terrible move.

:weewillie

GiveMeSox
10-29-2004, 02:01 PM
I saw that the Cubs have declined their option on Grudzielanek, making him available...anybody else think he might be a decent fit at 2B? Here's what ESPN.com has to say about him:

Sure, he's not the best guy out there...but I think the Sox could certainly do worse.
Im not against the idea, becuase he is a consitent 290 to 300 hitter. However he is injury prone and older. I would rather a take a left handed todd walker for 1 to 2 mil. I mean if we would get grudz starting at 2nd for 3 mil or less i would take it becuase that is still a 100x increase in production over willie next year. We need to whatever it takes to not have a lineup next year with the 4 or 5 easy outs we had last. Any lineup with borchard, willie, valentin, crede, and davis is asking for a disaster.

Justafan
10-29-2004, 02:07 PM
If the choices are Wille Harris or Grudzielanek, I would take Grudzielanek. Harris is a stiff. That said, we are talking about a guy who is might have two good years left in him.

duke of dorwood
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I'd sign him as the new Graffanino-he can play several positions in a reserve role-THEN get Todd Walker for full time 2B.

wdelaney72
10-29-2004, 02:37 PM
If you can be sure he's healthy, I'd take him over Uribe or Willie.

Brian26
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
You guys aren't doing your homework at all. Don't you think there's a reason the Cubs are letting him go?

Baby Fisk
10-29-2004, 02:55 PM
This would hamper us in the post-season by adding another ex-Cub to the roster. The Sox are dangerously high in this factor already.

Justafan
10-29-2004, 03:03 PM
You guys aren't doing your homework at all. Don't you think there's a reason the Cubs are letting him go?
Yeah, Todd Walker and the fact they want to clear payroll so they can make a run at Beltran. He's a good player who doesn't yap and plays hard. I'm not saying to sign him, I'm just saying you can do much worse(see Harris).

GiveMeSox
10-29-2004, 03:20 PM
You guys aren't doing your homework at all. Don't you think there's a reason the Cubs are letting him go?3

Have you been doing your HW, there is a reason anyone but Willie should start. Maybe its cuz he hits .255 and had 8 stolen bases for being the fastest guy on the team.

GAsoxfan
10-29-2004, 03:22 PM
I'd pass on Grudzielanek. Against righties, Willie is a good player, he just can't hit lefties to save his life. Grudzielanek has the same problem (.220 avg./.281 OBP), and at age 34, I don't think he's going to get much better. If the Sox decide to replace Harris in the off-season instead of picking up someone to platoon him with, my choice would be Polanco. He bats well against lefties and righties (better against lefties), he's good in the field, and he's only 29.

GAsoxfan
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM

Have you been doing your HW, there is a reason anyone but Willie should start. Maybe its cuz he hits .255 and had 8 stolen bases for being the fastest guy on the team.
Actually neither of those numbers are right. I guess you didn't do your homework either, huh?

Brian26
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM

I've never ONCE said I want Willie Harris starting at secondbase. All I'm saying is that this cast-off from the Cubs isn't our answer there.

mdep524
10-29-2004, 06:34 PM
The only second baseman out there I would take a real look at is Baltimore's Jerry Hairston Jr. Is he healthy? Will he be a perennial injury risk? Can he be a solid OBP, SB threat? How is his defense at 2B?

Outside of that, it's probably going to be Uribe at 2B and Vizquel or... Guzman (please God no, please God no) at SS.
Oh, and Todd Walker will be a starting 2B in Chicago next year, but it won't be with the Sox.

kitekrazy
10-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Because he's easier to get rid of than Sosa?

johnny_mostil
10-30-2004, 02:22 PM
If you can be sure he's healthy, I'd take him over Uribe or Willie.
What the heck is wrong with a 24-year-old middle infielder who slugs .500+ and fields 2B well? You can't compare Uribe, who is a good ballplayer, to Willie Harris, who runs fast but doesn't use his speed in any productive way beyond beating out a few singles.

The difference between Willie and Juan's OBP is, in Willie's PAs, about 7 times on base. The difference between Willie's 132 total bases and Juan's 262 is a ton of runs even after you account for the 70-or-so difference in plate appearances.

So let's see. Uribe has excellent defensive range at both second and short, a much stronger arm, and hits the ball with authority. He needs to hit #7 or so. Willie has average defensive range, and despite being very fast, only stole 19 bases and hit the paltry totals of 15 doubles and 2 triples.

Harris doesn't hit the ball hard enough to dent a wall of styrofoam.

eriqjaffe
11-01-2004, 11:05 AM
What the heck is wrong with a 24-year-old middle infielder who slugs .500+ and fields 2B well? You can't compare Uribe, who is a good ballplayer, to Willie Harris, who runs fast but doesn't use his speed in any productive way beyond beating out a few singles.

The difference between Willie and Juan's OBP is, in Willie's PAs, about 7 times on base. The difference between Willie's 132 total bases and Juan's 262 is a ton of runs even after you account for the 70-or-so difference in plate appearances.

So let's see. Uribe has excellent defensive range at both second and short, a much stronger arm, and hits the ball with authority. He needs to hit #7 or so. Willie has average defensive range, and despite being very fast, only stole 19 bases and hit the paltry totals of 15 doubles and 2 triples.

Harris doesn't hit the ball hard enough to dent a wall of styrofoam.

One thing I've always liked about Grudzielanek (aside from the fact that it's a lot of fun to say his name) is that he always seems to give 100%. I remember when the Dodgers picked him up to play shortstop, Grudz did a ton of off-season work after 1998 to improve his defense, and his fielding percentage climbed by nearly 20 points. Considering that he's also a good bunter, he'd be a pretty nice guy to have in the #2 hole behind Rowand. It'd be a lot better for Paulie and CLee if they can come to bat with a runner in scoring position once in a while.

I certainly don't see Grudzielanek as a long-term solution, but I really feel he'd be a good pickup for a budget-conscious team. IMHO, the only reason the Cubs are letting him go is because Todd Walker is less expensive, and they want to clear up some salary room to make a run for a certain big-name free agent outfielder.

Heck, he can put the bat on the ball. Willie can come in as a defensive sub if the Sox are trying to hold a narrow lead.