PDA

View Full Version : Providence Journal on White Sox fans

Fenway
10-29-2004, 11:17 AM
The White Sox have their own tortured history with the World Series. Eight players were accused of participating in a gambling scheme to throw the 1919 World Series and were banned from baseball for life in a saga known as the "Black Sox Scandal."

White Sox fan George Bova, 43, of suburban Elmhurst called curses "goofy" excuses and said they aren't to blame for the performance of the White Sox, who last made an appearance in the World Series in 1959.

"There were tangible reasons that our team wasn't good enough as opposed to cursed baseballs or Babe Ruth being traded. All these reasons don't wash for White Sox fans," said Bova, who runs a White Sox fan Web site. "Unlike a Cubs fan, we have never turned our losing into some sort of lovable attribute."

soxfan26
10-29-2004, 11:47 AM
The same story appeared today in the Washington Times here in D.C. Here is the national media attention about "curses" so many of us hope to avoid.

Nice to see the first story about it include a quote from a real sox fan :redneck

Baby Fisk
10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I wonder what first time visitors to WSI will think when they discover the 17 different "curse" threads that popped up here since Wednesday night! :redface:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I wonder what first time visitors to WSI will think when they discover the 17 different "curse" threads that popped up here since Wednesday night!
"Thank you. I'll be here all week."

<rim shot>

"And be sure to tip your cocktail waitress. Thank you."

:gulp:

hitlesswonder
10-29-2004, 12:25 PM
That was a great quote. I'm glad it made it to the national media. I hope the new "curse" story the media pick up is that the Cub fans believe in one while the Sox fans just blame bad management and poor play :smile:

Nick@Nite
10-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Here's a link if anyone wants it.

Focus of cursed teams turns to Cubs, White Sox (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1362&e=6&u=/usatoday/20041029/sp_usatoday/focusofcursedteamsturnstocubswhitesox&sid=95747887)

Btw, great quote PHG.:cool:

DrCrawdad
10-29-2004, 06:10 PM
"Thank you. I'll be here all week."

<rim shot>

"And be sure to tip your cocktail waitress. Thank you."

:gulp:

Hear here for the rimshot. (http://faultgame.com/images/rimshot.wav)

jackbrohamer
10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Very cool, we need to avoid a "curse" media label by any means necessary. I sent the article to my Dad, now he knows he's not the only Sox fan in Elmhurst!

jdm2662
10-29-2004, 07:15 PM
There are more.. Me, my uncle and my cousins are all Sox fans living in Elmhurst (but I'm really from Hillside, so maybe I don't count)...
________
Lesbian Orgy (http://www.****tube.com/categories/740/orgy/videos/1)

Dub25
10-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Is there a way to get huge media coverage to help this team by being anti-curse? Is there something we can do to tell the nation up yours, we don't believe in curses?

balke
10-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Is there a way to get huge media coverage to help this team by being anti-curse? Is there something we can do to tell the nation up yours, we don't believe in curses?
Keep on doin what you're doing. The message will get passed along. I believe that's why we don't get all the curse crap, cause sox fans don't celebrate the curse, and if some did, there'd be some white sox fans right there to stop them.

Frankfan4life
10-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Why can't we have a "jinx?" It's like a curse but a little different.

The White Sox Jinx! It's because we're jinxed, that's why. Lift the jinx. No more jinxes. Darn jinx! Jettison the Jinx!

Huh! You like?

Mohoney
10-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Is there something we can do to tell the nation up yours, we don't believe in curses?
Win a World Series?