PDA

View Full Version : What did we ever win WITH Maggs?

Bisco Stu
10-29-2004, 02:04 AM
1 AL Central crown in a season in which Frank was the team MVP.

C ya Maggs, enjoy Petco.

fquaye149
10-29-2004, 02:07 AM
ok but what have we ever won with any ballplayer?

dump the whole team?

although i agree....maggs is asking way too much and fans are treating him with too much respect as if he's not the one who wouldn't let kenny look at his knee and put money above everything (by hiring boras)...he has never been the best player on the white sox while frank was healthy and anyone that says so....well...

Rocky Soprano
10-29-2004, 10:49 AM
:threadblows: :threadsucks

balke
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I never got the hype over Maggs. I saw him his first two seasons, and people were all over him like he was the new Frank Thomas. I admit he's a great ballplayer, and I love having him on the team, but he was tagged instant superstar.

I was all about keepin him on the sox this season for 15 mil, but was in no hurry to pay him that kind of money again. SOx should have traded him for Soriano. Then all you Reed whiners would get your dream to come true, and we possibly could've tanked Valentin mid-season, and just used Uribe at SS.

It would be great if we have Maggs back next year at 5-8 mil + 5 mil in incentives.

Ozzie the Clown
10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif What did we ever win WITH Maggs?

Brilliant theory. Using that concept the Bulls should have traded Jordan oh about 1989.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the sloth, I mean slueth, didn't.

Jjav829
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I never got the hype over Maggs. I saw him his first two seasons, and people were all over him like he was the new Frank Thomas. I admit he's a great ballplayer, and I love having him on the team, but he was tagged instant superstar.

I was all about keepin him on the sox this season for 15 mil, but was in no hurry to pay him that kind of money again. SOx should have traded him for Soriano. Then all you Reed whiners would get your dream to come true, and we possibly could've tanked Valentin mid-season, and just used Uribe at SS.

It would be great if we have Maggs back next year at 5-8 mil + 5 mil in incentives.
Wait, wait, you didn't get the hype over Maggs, but you wanted Soriano for him? :?:

You are talking about Magglio Ordonez and the no defense, too strikeout-y, .323 OBP Alfonso Soriano right?

fusillirob1983
10-29-2004, 02:36 PM
To me, it seems like Mags didn't get as much recognition as he should have with the national media. It seems like he has never fit into the same superstar mold that other good players are placed into.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2004, 02:56 PM
This thread is just as bad as the thread about Frank Thomas holding the Sox back.

I'm going to say this once, and only once:

Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez are not the problem where the Chicago White Sox organization is concerned. Given the events of this past season, that much should be clear to the members of this board. The White Sox organization has many problems, but these problems do not include the two most productive members of this team. End of discussion.

Rocky Soprano
10-29-2004, 03:21 PM
This thread is just as bad as the thread about Frank Thomas holding the Sox back.

Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez are not the problem where the Chicago White Sox organization is concerned. Given the events of this past season, that much should be clear to the members of this board. The White Sox organization has many problems, but these problems do not include the two most productive members of this team. End of discussion.
I totally agree. RKMeibalane, if we ever meet, I want to buy you a beer or two. :gulp:

jshanahanjr
10-29-2004, 03:31 PM
What did the Bears ever win with Butkus & Sayers? Give me a break like Nel Carter! It's takes more than an outstanding right fielder to win the World Series, but it doesn't hurt. Good Luck Maggs!

fuzzy_patters
10-29-2004, 03:34 PM
1 AL Central crown in a season in which Frank was the team MVP.

C ya Maggs, enjoy Petco.I agree. The White Sox have never won anything with Maggs, so they should dump him. Similarly, the Expos did not win anything with Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez, so they are better off without them.

Foulke29
10-29-2004, 03:45 PM

Know what though? With that bum knee that Magglio has now - he may not be the problem with the organization - but he certainly will be one if he receives the amount of money that he was asking.

Think we have problems now? Imagine $15+ million a year being tied up to a guy that can play 50 to 70 games a year.

By signing with Boras and not allowing the Sox doctors to look at his knee 'without an acceptable offer made to him,' he is slapping Sox fans and the Sox organization in the face.

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out Mags.

Buh-bye!

OEO Magglio
10-29-2004, 04:02 PM
This is a stupid thread. Maggs is a great player and it'll be sad the first time I see him in another uni even though that's the right move. He's not worth the money he wants and there is better way to use the money but Maggs is and will continue to be a great player.

soxfan26
10-29-2004, 04:19 PM
The White Sox organization has many problems, but these problems do not include the two most productive members of this team. End of discussion.
Great Post. Why is this so hard for some Sox fans to accept?

idseer
10-29-2004, 04:25 PM
i agree with the initial poster. and while we're at it ... ted williams never won a thing either. can't imagine why boston held onto him for so long.

bigfoot
10-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Maggs can't pitch, so don't blame him for not winning. should the Cards blame Puhols for the WS sweep? Or the lackluster Cards pitching?

soxfan26
10-29-2004, 04:29 PM
i agree with the initial poster. and while we're at it ... ted williams never won a thing either. can't imagine why boston held onto him for so long.
:?: I don't even know how to begin...

idseer
10-29-2004, 04:42 PM
:?: I don't even know how to begin...no, seriously. these guys were over-rated. throw in ty cobb and ernie banks too. they never won the big one.

in fact all the hall of famers who never won the big one should be considered over-rated. kick em out of the hall i say!

balke
10-29-2004, 04:50 PM
To clarify... I think Maggs is great, but fear his cost to the team. Sox aren't in a position to pay 15 mil for multiple seasons to someone. I was happy to do it this past season, but in the future I thought (even uninjured) he was a 13-14 mil guy at best. 12 would be better.

He has been the face for the sox, and if he were not out w/ a broken leg I think he'd be all the talk this offseason, and be a superstar for the BoSox or Yanks. But since he's hurt, and likely not going to have a huge impact on the yanks, you won't hear his name as much, until he definitely is on a bigger market team.

Maggs will be missed, I just am kinda looking back sourly, cause we tried to dump him for a decent 2B, and then Maggs went out to Injury. Could've saved a bit of salary.

He hurt the team in no way. He was going to be the guy who put us over the top this season, you could tell. It wa just a tragic freak accident.

LAWSfan
10-29-2004, 04:55 PM
The case could made that a superstar player can hold back a team. ARod as an example. ARod leaves Seattle in 2000. 2001 the Mariners win 116 games. From 2001-03 ARod has three straight last place finishes with the Rangers. They trade ARod and with basically the same team returning, they finish a suprising third and was in the race for the AL West until the last weekend.

I'm not saying that Maggs is the reason we're not doing well. Frank too for that matter.

idseer
10-29-2004, 04:59 PM
The case could made that a superstar player can hold back a team. ARod as an example. ARod leaves Seattle in 2000. 2001 the Mariners win 116 games. From 2001-03 ARod has three straight last place finishes with the Rangers. They trade ARod and with basically the same team returning, they finish a suprising third and was in the race for the AL West until the last weekend.

I'm not saying that Maggs is the reason we're not doing well. Frank too for that matter.
even tho this happened ... it's hogwash to suggest arod was the CAUSE of these teams fortunes. and if you believe he IS, then you are as superstitious as they come.
i will take arod on my team ANY day.

balke
10-29-2004, 05:03 PM
even tho this happened ... it's hogwash to suggest arod was the CAUSE of these teams fortunes. and if you believe he IS, then you are as superstitious as they come.

How about next season? why do the Yankees need 2 all-star calibur shortstops? I wish we did have A-rod next season. When I heard all the Maggs talk last offseason, I thought maybe the Sox had the cajones to get A-Rod here. Too bad that didn't happen. If our team really thinks a SS is that important, then pull the freakin trigger. There's been Tejada talk, and we didn't do it, and we were in the midst of the A-rod deal, could've sucked out Soriano, Went after Nomar. Let's get something done, and get a leader at SS. Not a Vizquel or Uribe or valdez or valentin.

LAWSfan
10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
No I'm not suggesting that at all. The stats prove that the Mariners and Rangers were better without ARod than with him. He wasn't the cause but maybe he wasn't as valuable?

I would take ARod on the White Sox in a NY minute.