PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone is available.

jabrch
10-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Anyone want to fire DJ?

Wealz
10-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Anyone want to fire DJ?
Stoney could also serve as GM in waiting. Might be enough incentive for him to jump to the south side as a color announcer.

SEALgep
10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I'd take Stone in pretty much any role he wanted. Nothing would piss the Cubs off more and he could help the club in a major way IMO. Not to mention it's a good trade off. They can have Harry Carey, and we'll take Stone. :bandance:

nodiggity59
10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Anyone want to fire DJ?
Is it official? Link?

Just curious.

SEALgep
10-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Is it official? Link?

Just curious.Tribune
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041028stoneyletter,1,81978.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

LongLiveFisk
10-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I usually detest all things Cub, but I have to give Stone props as being a smart baseball man and I definitely wouldn't mind him on the South Side...

:KW
"You mean in the booth, right? So my job's still safe, right?"

Ozzie the Clown
10-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Hire him!!!! Finally, we can get a little revenge for them getting Harry.
Plus, the guy is good.

cburns
10-28-2004, 09:14 PM
I hope we hire Stone...nothing against DJ, but Steve Stone is a really good color man, and has a good baseball mind. Can you imagine Hawk and Stone in the same booth?

Parrothead
10-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Anyone want to fire DJ?
Count me in !

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-28-2004, 09:17 PM
now its time to RUB IT IN THEIR FACE: Cubs fans: Harry carray was always a cubs guy Sox Fans: Steve stone was always a sox guy

Lip Man 1
10-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Grab Stone in a second (although it's rumored he's headed to Arizona) and can that goofy mush mouthed Darrin Jackson. If for no other reason then the P.R. value.

Lip

cburns
10-28-2004, 09:19 PM
IF we got Steve Stone, can you imagine how the Cubs/Tribune would paint the whole situation?

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I hope we hire Stone...nothing against DJ, but Steve Stone is a really good color man, and has a good baseball mind. Can you imagine Hawk and Stone in the same booth?
We can imagine, but I don't think it would work. Stone would be a great addition, but something tells me that Hawk wouldn't be so happy to have a big name like Stone in the both with him.

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
I would love this, as would many other people I'm sure.

faneidde
10-28-2004, 10:00 PM
What a class act. He would be an asset to the Sox or any club for that matter. Although not the most exciting color guy in baseball, he always seemed to know his stuff. I'll miss Stoney when my roomates are watching Cub games next year.

soxtalker
10-28-2004, 10:05 PM
We can imagine, but I don't think it would work. Stone would be a great addition, but something tells me that Hawk wouldn't be so happy to have a big name like Stone in the both with him.

That might be an issue, but wouldn't a bigger problem be the potential criticism of the home team? I'm not trying to bash JR here, but isn't that what sent Carry and Piersal over to the northside?

Having said that, it would be a great, bold move by JR to hire him.

cornball
10-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I have been trying to like DJ, but I just can't. He has to go.

Stone would be a great replacement.

I was hoping when they were interviewing for Whimpy's replacement they would have given the job to Tommy John, who is experienced, articulate and a good baseball man ....and we got DJ. Water over the damn now.

mdep524
10-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I have no big problems with DJ, but it would be great to get Stoney in the Sox organization in some capacity for next year. I have a lot of respect for the guy, and think he could make a great announcer, bench coach or general manager.

Memo to JR and Brooks: Go out and get Stoney!!

soxnut
10-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm all for dumping DJ and hiring Stone. I wonder what is going to happen when the Sox are on Comcast. Who will be their post-game analyst? Maybe that would be a role for DJ to fill and then get Stone up in the booth.

Of course I'd prefer Melton getting the Comcast gig---but who knows? For Bulls post-game they have----Stacey King as analyst. I don't understand why Norm Van Lier isn't there. :(:

mike squires
10-28-2004, 11:55 PM
So with Cary and Stone gone, who's in the booth for the cubs this year?

DrCrawdad
10-28-2004, 11:59 PM
I saw a few Cubbie fan friends tonight. They hadn't heard that Stone told the Cubbies to, "Take this job and shove it!"

I told my Cubbie fan friends that I recalled seeing Stone in the booth with Hawk when the Cubbies had that break. I then said that Stone is friends with Reinsdorf. They both are cigar smokers and members of "the Tribe." So I said that maybe Stone will be a Sox broadcaster next season. Oh, the grimaces on their faces were priceless. These friends were stunned that Stone would leave the Cubbies then the thought that he could possibly join the Sox broadcast just sent them into shock.

MEMO TO THE WHITE SOX: SIGN STEVE STONE AS A BROADCASTER. GIVE DJ A JOB SOMEWHERE IN THE SYSTEM. BUT GET STONE!

SoxFan78
10-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but on SportsNite on Comcast sports net, Bruce Levine said in his opnion, he said that he thought that in wouldn't be unlikely if Steve Stone came to the Sox in some capacity. I guess Stone has a great relationship with Jerry Reinsdorf, and allegdedly met with Jerry at Comiskey around ten days ago.

Like I said, this came from Bruce Levine, so I dont know how official it is.

Hitmen77
10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
:reinsy
Get real, guys! The Sox will NEVER make a smart move like that while I'm still owner! Don't you get it yet, we're the team that always does everything wrong!

Kilroy
10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
What is with this obsession w/ Steve Stone?? He doesn't want the Sox job, and quite frankly, I don't really care to have him switch sides. Sure, he's a very good analyst, but the buy bleeds Cub blue. His heart wouldn't be in it.

And the best way to stick it to Cub fans is for the Sox to win, not hire their former announcer.

jordan23ventura
10-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Sure, he's a very good analyst, but the buy bleeds Cub blue.
Not anymore.

DrCrawdad
10-29-2004, 12:29 AM
What is with this obsession w/ Steve Stone?? He doesn't want the Sox job, and quite frankly, I don't really care to have him switch sides. Sure, he's a very good analyst, but the buy bleeds Cub blue. His heart wouldn't be in it.

And the best way to stick it to Cub fans is for the Sox to win, not hire their former announcer.

It's not an obsession with Steve Stone. I've in fact have mocked the guy, calling him Steve Drone for his nasal pomposity. Will I flip-flop and love Stone suddenly should he join the Sox? No, but Stone is much better than DJ. Stone won't let Hawk run over him. Plus, watching Cubbie fans moan about the loss of Stone to the Sox would be priceless.

Cubbie fans and the media have fawned endlessly over Stone. Seeing the reactions to their beloved broadcaster joining the Sox would be fantastic.

Kilroy
10-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Cubbie fans and the media have fawned endlessly over Stone. Seeing the reactions to their beloved broadcaster joining the Sox would be fantastic.
That would all end as soon as he signed on with the Sox.

HITMEN OF 77
10-29-2004, 12:36 AM
When people are saying, that will teach the Cubs, stick it to the Cubs, that makes it even for taking HC, all that talk is just stupid!! It's not about taking something from Cubs its about adding something valuable to our organization. I know I'm a huge minority, but I'm all for keeping DJ, I like the guy. A big head like Stone in the booth with Hawk won't work out.

fusillirob1983
10-29-2004, 01:11 AM
For the person who asked about Norm Van Lier, I heard Comcast gave him a pretty bad offer to work for them. He's still doing ads for the Bulls I heard, but he's just not doing broadcasts for Comcast.

WinningUgly!
10-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Sure, he's a very good analyst, but the buy bleeds Cub blue. His heart wouldn't be in it.
Doesn't look like Cubbie blue to me.:)
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass9.jpg

Kilroy
10-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Doesn't look like Cubbie blue to me.:)
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass9.jpg
That picture means just about as much as this one does...

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/7502.jpg

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 10:01 AM
And do this ASAP. The guy speaks his mind, and clearly, the cubs
didnt want a guy like that in the booth, but a RahRah Cheerleader.
This is the fallout were seeing with years of Media Lust and Cubpoganda,
the cubs, their players, and their "fans" expect NO CRITICISM.
Good. Hire Steve Stone ....... and DO IT NOW. THIS move alone
would have me buy a Weekend Package ......... Book it, you heard it
here first.

Tekijawa
10-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Why are we looking at him to replace DJ when we should be looking for him to replace someone much higher up? Kenny Williams has about 1/3 the baseball knowledge that Steve Stone does, my guess is that he wouldn't trade any more prospects for the Alomars next year to bring them back either.

Mickster
10-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Why are we looking at him to replace DJ when we should be looking for him to replace someone much higher up? Kenny Williams has about 1/3 the baseball knowledge that Steve Stone does, my guess is that he wouldn't trade any more prospects for the Alomars next year to bring them back either.
Interesting. Sign him for the booth for 2005 and look at him possibly long term as a replacement to KW. Let's face it, KW will not be here forever....

Brian26
10-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Anyone want to fire DJ?

I think everyone is missing out on the real potential here...

Keep DJ and pencil Stone in as our #5 starter! :D:

Kilroy
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
THIS move alone
here first.
That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post. That's like buying Hawks season tickets because they got new pucks.

Justafan
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM
That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.

After reading some of the crap he posts, it's hard to say.

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 10:59 AM
That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post. That's like buying Hawks season tickets because they got new pucks.
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lets look at the BIGGER picture here .....
the possibility of Stone being our GM is very tantalizing, we need to get
him here asap ........... are you with me now?

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 11:19 AM
After reading some of the crap he posts, it's hard to say.
(thinks justafan posts crap also, but keeps to himself)

SoxFanTillDeath
10-29-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't care who we get, but anyone would be an upgrade over what we have now. I watch a lot of sox games, and if you want a teltale sign on how boring our announcers are, turn around. "Watch" an inning without looking at the screen, and tell me if you: A) fall asleep, and B) have any idea what just happened during the inning.

I'd take stone for his abilities in the booth anyday. You don't pick him up just to stick it to the cubs, because that is absolutely the lamest thing I've ever heard. They were sick of the guy by the end of the season, so do you think they'd care if we hired their ex-analyst? You don't make this move because he used to be a cub, you make it because he's good at what he does.

CubKilla
10-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Kenny Williams has about 1/3 the baseball knowledge that Steve Stone does.
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, I think Ozzie Guillen has about 1/8 the baseball knowledge that Steve Stone does.

SoxFanTillDeath
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
(thinks justafan posts crap also, but keeps to himself)

Nice. :wink:

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Listening to the moron right now. Cubbie fan is crying about Stone and says he will not tune into WGN next year. Dedicated sports fans I tell ya'!

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Another Cub fan calls in saying he's going to cancel his season tickets and will never go to another Cubs game for the rest of his life.

Levine is now talking about Stone working on the South Side, and he believes there is room for Stone here.:smile:

Flight #24
10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Another Cub fan calls in saying he's going to cancel his season tickets and will never go to another Cubs game for the rest of his life.

Levine is now talking about Stone working on the South Side, and he believes there is room for Stone here.:smile:
Can you expand on that for those without radio access? Is he saying that the Sox aare interested (and/or that Stone is?) Or just that they "could make room" if they wanted to?

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Can you expand on that for those without radio access? Is he saying that the Sox aare interested (and/or that Stone is?) Or just that they "could make room" if they wanted to?Levine said there is room on the South Side for him, but it's not like he "be replacing a broadcaster." He also touched only Stone good relationship with Reinsdorf.

http://www.espnradio1000.com/listenlive.asp

Flight #24
10-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Levine said there is room on the South Side for him, but it's not like he "be replacing a broadcaster." He also touched only Stone good relationship with Reinsdorf.

http://www.espnradio1000.com/listenlive.asp
Thanks for the link, I was unaware that they were now streaming live. Cool.

Uncle_Patrick
10-29-2004, 11:49 AM

Why, was Steve Stone talking to him at the games? That's dedication, giving up on your team because the announcer is gone.

Kilroy
10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lets look at the BIGGER picture here .....
the possibility of Stone being our GM is very tantalizing, we need to get
him here asap ........... are you with me now?
Ummm no, I'm not. The list of teams that Stone has been GM for is as long as the list that Kenny Williams had been GM for when he took the Sox job. I'd think you'd have had enuf of GMs w/ zero experience.

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Ummm no, I'm not. The list of teams that Stone has been GM for is as long as the list that Kenny Williams had been GM for when he took the Sox job. I'd think you'd have had enuf of GMs w/ zero experience.

So your willing to Stay with Kenny as GM rather than Roll the Dice with Steve Stone?

"depends on how much Stony wants ...... "

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Don't give Reinsdorf any ideas now...

"Steve, it is our understanding that you don't have any previous experience. We must follow company policy regarding this issue, which is why we are GIVING YOU THE JOB!!!"

Ozzie the Clown
10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
?

Exactly. Do you think he'd be willing to work for minimum wage like KW? That is how he got/keeps the job, right?

Brian26
10-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I can't think of anything that would make the White Sox franchise look more minor-league than firing their current GM, in his 4th year of tenure, to hire a former Cubs tv announcer days after he quit his job with the Tribune Company. This is supposed to *help* our franchise? I find the very notion of that to be embarassing. Now, if Stone is brought in as a special assistant or lands a job with the broadcast team, that's another story.

white sox bill
10-29-2004, 02:36 PM
So your willing to Stay with Kenny as GM rather than Roll the Dice with Steve Stone?

Do I have to remind everyone what happened last time we hired an announcer for GM? 1986, the yr of the Hawkeroo...low time in Sox history. We don't need a repeat

wdelaney72
10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm all for Stone in the booth, but not as a GM.

DJ is still under contract, so it would be an interesting move. Maybe DJ could suddenly "accept more national games with Fox", which would give Stone room to be in the booth on a regular basis.

Forget the egos, I think Hawk and Stone would get along just fine. I'd love to see it happen.

JKryl
10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Stone would bury Hawk, but I'm sure Hawk would throw a hissy fit over Stone the same way he did over Pachoric(sp?) when he started to get popular. In any event, over the years, the Scrubs have taken Harry and enough players to start another team. PAYBACK TIME!

JKryl
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Do I have to remind everyone what happened last time we hired an announcer for GM? 1986, the yr of the Hawkeroo...low time in Sox history. We don't need a repeat
Well, there is one big difference, Steve sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and with his experience vs Kenny's, I'd take a chance. Of course, JR would have to convince him to work on the cheap.

Foulke29
10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
I like DJ. He's grown on me quite a bit, and he's a hell of a nice guy!

yadosoxfan
10-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Anyone else wonder what Hawk would think about losing his buddy DJ in the booth and having the team give steve stone the job? I'd be worried about Hawk's loyalty towards DJ and messing up that chemistry that they have. I've never been DJ's biggest fan and I'm all for seeing Stone on the southside, but the last thing I wanna see is getting Hawk pissed off about the situation.

mike squires
10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
So no news on who will be in the crappy cub booth next season? Should be interesting!

bigfoot
10-29-2004, 04:35 PM
So no news on who will be in the crappy cub booth next season? Should be interesting!Are Cookie and Bozo still available?

KWilliams:A'sFan
10-29-2004, 04:40 PM
I'd be worried about Hawk's loyalty towards DJ and messing up that chemistry that they have. I've never been DJ's biggest fan and I'm all for seeing Stone on the southside, but the last thing I wanna see is getting Hawk pissed off about the situation.
Hey, this reminds me... does anyone have that Hawk and DJ argument remix that they were playing ad nasuem on the Score a couple of years back. That was hilarious...

mdep524
10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree we really don't need to mess with Hawk and DJ. And its unrealistic to expect KW to be fired so Stone can become GM. So to me, the best scenario would be to make Stone "Special Advisor to the GM." That way, KW keeps his job, and gets a lot of help form a very knowledgeable guy. Stoney would be in on strategy, trades, etc., on a very significant level, while gaining experience in a front office capacity. Then, if KW isn't getting the job done, Stone could replace KW in a year or two as "number 1."

mike squires
10-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Sorry if it's allready been mentioned but to be honest I don't have the time to look back on 50 some posts with a slow computer, but is it on bad terms??? Does Stone have bad feelings about Cub management? Not getting what he's worth? What exactly happened?

DannyCaterFan
10-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Just Hire him!!!! What a perfect way to grab some headlines away from the Flubs and make up for the Harry Caray hiring. I would imagine if we signed Stone as a broadcaster, the flubs would really go after Maggs really hard. For once Jerry, do something the fans want!

mikef1331
10-30-2004, 07:06 AM
So no news on who will be in the crappy cub booth next season? Should be interesting!
Steve Bartman, a Goat and a pile of concrete.

SEALgep
10-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Sorry if it's allready been mentioned but to be honest I don't have the time to look back on 50 some posts with a slow computer, but is it on bad terms??? Does Stone have bad feelings about Cub management? Not getting what he's worth? What exactly happened?They didn't back him when the players started confronting him, and even went to the extent of embarrassing him by saying he was the one who made the issue personal (Hendry and Dusty). Basically, there was no discipline in the clubhouse, and little was done to make assurances that this activity wouldn't happen again. Also, he was upset the Cubs didn't match Carey's offer from the Braves. Probably some other built up BS over the years we don't even know about.

SEALgep
10-30-2004, 09:28 AM
I agree we really don't need to mess with Hawk and DJ. And its unrealistic to expect KW to be fired so Stone can become GM. So to me, the best scenario would be to make Stone "Special Advisor to the GM." That way, KW keeps his job, and gets a lot of help form a very knowledgeable guy. Stoney would be in on strategy, trades, etc., on a very significant level, while gaining experience in a front office capacity. Then, if KW isn't getting the job done, Stone could replace KW in a year or two as "number 1."That's pretty much what I believe too. Hope it's able to go down that way.

Wsoxmike59
10-30-2004, 09:43 AM
I would snap up Steve Stone in a heartbeat if he wanted the job. I feel there's enough of a Sox connection with Stoney that warrants bringing him in. He pitched 2 stints with us in between his stay with the Cubs.

I remember after his playing days were over in Baltimore, Stone immediately joined the ABC Monday Night Baseball crew as a color analyst and he was absolutely horrible. He was bland and monotone, and wasn't quite comfortable behind the mike.

By the time Stone came to the Cubs, he had improved immensely and became very adept at pointing out a lot of the finer points of the game. Subtleties that the average fan might miss out on.

I learned a lot about baseball strategy while listening to Stone, his insight to the game was 2nd to none. I always enjoyed Jimmy Piersall's analysis when he was in the booth, but Steve Stone's approach and delivery on how he described and dissected a play on the field was a lot less abrasive than the highly critical Piersall.

I would like to see the Sox fit Stone in the broadcast booth somehow without forcing anyone out of a job. I like Hawk and D.J. along with John Rooney and Ed Farmer. Maybe Stone could split his time between the TV and radio booth the way WGN did with Harry Caray.

My vote is for Sox fans to get Stoned.......:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Just Hire him!!!! What a perfect way to grab some headlines away from the Flubs and make up for the Harry Caray hiring. I would imagine if we signed Stone as a broadcaster, the flubs would really go after Maggs really hard. For once Jerry, do something the fans want!I agree the Sox should sign him. Stone would be a huge upgrade over Darrin Jackson for TV color or Ed Farmer for radio color. Here are the Big Three reasons it will never happen.

#3. Stone wants to own a team but the opportunities are few. He would probably accept a GM's position if he was given wide authority by ownership. Neither of these will happen with Jerry Reinsdorf owning the Sox.

#2. Stone is a known commodity in the broadcast booth and will command a premium salary for accepting any offer. He expects wide latitude to speak his mind, too. Neither of these is available with Jerry Reinsdorf owning the Sox.

And finally,

#1. Hawk Harrelson's ego is far too large to accommodate an assertive color man even as humble as Tom Paciorek, forget about the squirrelly Darrin Jackson. Hawk has JR's undivided support because he shills for Reinsdorf at every opportunity going all the way back to his infamous days as Sox GM.

:hawk
"There can only be one rooster in the hen house, Feisty. Don't piss me off."

All you defenders of Hawk Harrelson need to come clean about what we lose by feeding his giant ego inside the Sox broadcast booth. You also need to come clean that his shilling has gotten WORSE this past year, too.

Personally I don't care whether Hawk stays or goes. I listen to Rooney on the radio even when I'm watching the game on TV, so it's no skin off my nose regardless of what happens.

Hawk is good for nothing but telegraphing what Jerry Reinsdorf is thinking and some low-grade entertainment with his faux-homespun country banter. I would rather watch (and listen) to the Sox game. I'm a Sox Fan, not a Hawk fan.

Brian26
10-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Personally I don't care whether Hawk stays or goes. I listen to Rooney on the radio even when I'm watching the game on TV, so it's no skin off my nose regardless of what happens.
The only problem with this, as happened many times this year, is that the tv broadcast is sometimes on a one or two second delay. The radio broadcast has to be live (so people listening at the park with their headphones can follow along). I know that seems backwards (radio is usually on the delay), but it's the truth. It was annoying this year when it happened, which was quite often.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2004, 10:37 AM
The only problem with this, as happened many times this year, is that the tv broadcast is sometimes on a one or two second delay. The radio broadcast has to be live (so people listening at the park with their headphones can follow along). I know that seems backwards (radio is usually on the delay), but it's the truth. It was annoying this year when it happened, which was quite often.
Yes, this is true. In fact the radio is a good 4 seconds ahead of my DirectTV satellite dish's TV signal. However I see that as a positive, too. I rarely just sit on the couch and watch a game. I'm busy with other things, like reading the WSI boards or working on the site. I'm listening while doing something else.

Thus when I hear the yelling and screaming start on the radio, I can look up and catch all the action even before it happens. In fact I can even watch for specific things (like whether Konerko had his foot on the bag on a bang bang play at 1B) even before the instant replay is shown.

Like Bill Gates might say, "Those aren't bugs with the system, they're features."

:cheers:

soxtalker
10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
#3. Stone wants to own a team but the opportunities are few. He would probably accept a GM's position if he was given wide authority by ownership. Neither of these will happen with Jerry Reinsdorf owning the Sox.

Does Stone have access to enough resources to own a team at this time?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Does Stone have access to enough resources to own a team at this time?It depends on how you define "resources" to own a team. Certainly Stone doesn't have the money himself, but neither did Jerry Reinsdorf when he tossed in a small fraction of the whopping $20 million it cost his syndicate to buy Veeck's Sox back in 1981. JR and the rest of his pauper investors are now sitting on $250 million -- not that they can afford a new Cadillac every year or anything like that until they sell, so I'm told by some of the financial wizards who post here.
:wink:

Stone wanted to get a team for Las Vegas but it's not going to happen. He seems like a smart and pragmatic sort of guy. He'll do just fine with other opportunities waiting for the next Big One to come along. Just don't expect him associated with Reinsdorf's Sox in any sort of official or unofficial capacity.
:cool:

Mickster
10-30-2004, 11:33 AM
JR and the rest of his pauper investors are now sitting on $250 million -- not that they can afford a new Cadillac every year or anything like that until they sell, so I'm told by some of the financial wizards who post here.
:wink:
JR is loaded. He has made money from the Sox. He will not walk away having made "hundreds of millions" from his $1M investment. :wink:

kitekrazy
10-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Make Steve Stone the new bench coach, or fire Cooper and make him the pitching coach. I'd give him an organization job for future considerations as a GM.

bobj4400
10-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I hope we hire Stone...nothing against DJ, but Steve Stone is a really good color man, and has a good baseball mind. Can you imagine Hawk and Stone in the same booth?They wouldnt last a single telecast. Not enough room in the booth for their egos.

JKryl
10-31-2004, 11:59 PM

Wait a minute Kilroy, you really don't know that Steve wouldn't want to come over. How do you think Harry felt when JR and Eddie dumped on him? Remember, "no hate burns like that born from a spurned love".

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Stone just invterviewed on Comcast. When asked what he would do next, mind you he was at his home back in AZ, he said "I dont know. I will have to weigh my options. Chicago is a big town." After the interview, the anchor said "maybe he will end up on the south side".

He will be a member of the Sox organization very soon.

JKryl
11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
And do this ASAP. The guy speaks his mind, and clearly, the cubs
didnt want a guy like that in the booth, but a RahRah Cheerleader.
This is the fallout were seeing with years of Media Lust and Cubpoganda,
the cubs, their players, and their "fans" expect NO CRITICISM.
Good. Hire Steve Stone ....... and DO IT NOW. THIS move alone
here first.
Hangar, be carefull here. Remember the Cubs aren't the only organization that dumps commentators for speaking their minds. Does the team Harry and Jimmy bring back memories?

ode to veeck
11-01-2004, 10:12 AM
IF we got Steve Stone, can you imagine how the Cubs/Tribune would paint the whole situation?

three sentance byline at the bottom of page 14 in the Metro section

Kilroy
11-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Wait a minute Kilroy, you really don't know that Steve wouldn't want to come over. How do you think Harry felt when JR and Eddie dumped on him? Remember, "no hate burns like that born from a spurned love".
Check your facts.

Cubs: We want Stone back.
Stone: I quit.

Who spurned who?

Sox-on-TV44
11-01-2004, 10:30 AM
:D: I could see Steve Stone on Sox games.No offense to DJ,but I think his time is up.You know,the day Stone resigned from the Cubs,I already envisioned him with Hawk,and it wouldn't be bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:shower
Hitting the showers,Comiskey style.

mdep524
11-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Stone just invterviewed on Comcast. When asked what he would do next, mind you he was at his home back in AZ, he said "I dont know. I will have to weigh my options. Chicago is a big town." After the interview, the anchor said "maybe he will end up on the south side".

He will be a member of the Sox organization very soon.
Man, I hope you're right. "Chicago is a big town"... if Stoney is alluding to him joining the Sox that is a sweet cryptic comment!!
:)

Flight #24
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Check your facts.

Who spurned who?
I believe you mean-

Cubs to media/fans: "We want Stone back"

Cubs to Stone: "Watch your back on the team plane, the guys don't like what you say and you're on your own when they physically harass and threaten you. Plus, if anything leaks, we'll just have our GM say that you had personal issues with the players involved. On the other hand, if you blow sunshine up everyone's rear end - we're all good! Oh yeah, and we won't entertain any contract extension talks even though you're entering your last year."

Stone to Cubs:"Ummmm.... ok, I guess I'll just leave then"

Cubs internally: "Excellent"

jabrch
11-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Check your facts.

Who spurned who?
Well - they only offered him the one year option - they didn't step up and support him and show that they were 100% behind him despite him being physically intimidated by players. Had they really wanted him back, they'd have extended him 3 years.

jabrch
11-01-2004, 03:03 PM
I believe you mean-

Cubs to media/fans: "We want Stone back"

Cubs to Stone: "Watch your back on the team plane, the guys don't like what you say and you're on your own when they physically harass and threaten you. Plus, if anything leaks, we'll just have our GM say that you had personal issues with the players involved. On the other hand, if you blow sunshine up everyone's rear end - we're all good! Oh yeah, and we won't entertain any contract extension talks even though you're entering your last year."

Stone to Cubs:"Ummmm.... ok, I guess I'll just leave then"

Cubs internally: "Excellent"
Don't forget...
Cubs Internally: "Dan Roan, Dave Otto or David Kaplan will be very cheap"

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-01-2004, 04:09 PM
:D: I could see Steve Stone on Sox games.No offense to DJ,but I think his time is up.You know,the day Stone resigned from the Cubs,I already envisioned him with Hawk,and it wouldn't be bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:shower
Hitting the showers,Comiskey style.
wow...thats the first time i've acually seen that tag used...:o:

jdm2662
11-01-2004, 06:25 PM
DJ still has two years left on his contract. I don't see a change in the booth anytime soon, unless they go three way, which won't happen. I don't know Farmer's contract status, but if they could move him, then maybe I can see it happening.

JKryl
11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Check your facts.

Who spurned who?
He quit because he and the Chipster were physically threatened, and he got no support from management. What does that tell you? It tells me management thinks a third string reliever is more important to them than Steve was. That's not just quitting, that's being forced out.

jabrch
11-01-2004, 10:47 PM
He quit because he and the Chipster were physically threatened, and he got no support from management. What does that tell you? It tells me management thinks a third string reliever is more important to them than Steve was. That's not just quitting, that's being forced out.
Add to that the fact that management only offered to pick up his option year, not to extend his contract at all.

jabrch
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Anyone want to fire DJ?

Hmmmmm

kitekrazy
08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Stoney could also serve as GM in waiting. Might be enough incentive for him to jump to the south side as a color announcer.

You haven't heard enough of Stone. He has no desire to be in any organization's office. I wouldn't doubt he has been approached about this many times.

voodoochile
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
You haven't heard enough of Stone. He has no desire to be in any organization's office. I wouldn't doubt he has been approached about this many times.

This thread is 4 years old. I have no idea why jabrch brought it back to say hmmmmm...