PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone--HE GONE!!!!!

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
It's reported the Steve Stone has resigned from his positon. :cool:

Jjav829
10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
It's reported the Steve Stone has resigned from his positon. :cool:Reported where? If so, good for Stone. I don't have a very strong opinion on Stone either way. I think he's a good color man. I suppose if he was a Sox announcer I'd like him. But regardless, no announcer should have to go through what he went through. I guess this means he goes to Arizona. Unless JR is planning a surprise for us....

:reinsy
"Surprise! I didn't want to announce it so soon as I was hoping to wait for Soxfest but here it is....the White Sox big acquisition of the 2004-2005 offseason, Steve Stone."

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 07:17 PM
He went on 720 AM. I'm listening to ESPN 1000 right now.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Reported where? If so, good for Stone. I don't have a very strong opinion on Stone either way. I think he's a good color man. I suppose if he was a Sox announcer I'd like him. But regardless, no announcer should have to go through what he went through. I guess this means he goes to Arizona. Unless JR is planning a surprise for us....

:reinsy
"Surprise! I didn't want to announce it so soon as I was hoping to wait for Soxfest but here it is....the White Sox big acquisition of the 2004-2005 offseason, Steve Stone."
What's really funny/sad about this situation is that Stone would probably be a more effective starting pitcher than a few of the turds the Sox have been sending out there the past few seasons.

MUsoxfan
10-28-2004, 07:28 PM
I'll welcome him with open arms to the southside. That would create a hell of a tandem

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Stone's letter of resignation, from chicagosports.com:

Dear Cubs fans:

Since I put on a Cubs uniform in 1974, I've seen lots of Cubs history. There has been heartache and joy, agony and ecstasy, not to mention 21 managers and 10 general managers.

Through all of these years and more than a few broadcast partners, I have always felt a strong connection to the greatest, most loyal fans in baseball, Cubs fans.

My love for the city of Chicago and the people who came to beautiful Wrigley Field has been a constant. Over three million of you Cubs fans came to the ball park in 2004 and the TV ratings showed you watched the Cubs broadcasts in staggering numbers.

Unfortunately, the 2004 season did not end as we had hoped. It was devastating for all of us who invested our hearts, our time and in many cases our lives, in the hopes and dreams of the Cubs winning a world championship.

I am sure you have read many things about this past season and my involvement in one or two controversies. However, you have never heard my story or my perspective of the events that have brought us to this point in time.

As has always been my personal policy, it is not my intention to divulge the content of private conversations I've had with others. Likewise, I do not want to be forced into sharing my side of the story.

I came to Chicago on the high road with my credibility and integrity. Thirty years later, I choose to leave the same way.

The phrase I used that angered certain people was "I regret nothing." Well folks, I was wrong about that and want to set the record straight. I regret I won't be calling another Cubs game on WGN-TV for the greatest fans in baseball…the fans of the Chicago Cubs.

It's been a great ride. I will never forget you. Most importantly, I thank you all for every minute of happiness, you, the fans have given me.

Best regards,

Steve Stone

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 08:28 PM
I just heard this on the radio in the car. Good for Stone. That whole organization mistreated him. I don't see it happening, but I'd love to see him on the South Side.

duke of dorwood
10-28-2004, 09:54 PM
The fans complained about the Joe Carter types they had without Stone, a bunch of underachieving, not-accountable ego maniacs, including the dolt manager win this one

schmitty9800
10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Anyone listen to Mike Murphy tonight? A former WGN sports anchor (can't remember his name now and he was around in the mid-80's, from before when I'd remember, Hillmeyer I think) called in and talked about how Dallas Green got him fired. This was his first time telling the story.

He had asked Green a tough question about collusion, which was a big issue back then. Green dodged the question, not wanting to implicate Tribune Co. Later, Green called him at home and was furious about the interview. He apologized, but refused to say that it was an inappropriate question. Green wasn't satisfied, and kept harassing him. It didn't go on for too much longer, since the season was almost over.

When spring training started up the next year, upon Hillemeyer's arrival, Green confronted him and picked up right where he left off last season. He berated the guy in front of a crowd of people. Finally, Hillemeyer was fired from WGN that May, for pretty much no reason except the fact that he wanted to ask challenging questions and not simply spew the company line. Keep in mind Hillemeyer didn't work for the Cubs at all...just WGN News.

There's no reason not to suggest Stone had the same kind of pressure put upon him. Typical Tribune company behavior.

In my opinion there aren't any better color men today than Stone. Hopefully he'll get something where he'll get national exposure (him doing the world series instead of McCarver would've been such a better broadcast).

StillMissOzzie
10-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Finally, Hillemeyer was fired from WGN that May, for pretty much no reason except the fact that he wanted to ask challenging questions and not simply spew the company line. Keep in mind Hillemeyer didn't work for the Cubs at all...just WGN News.
Both the Cubs and WGN are owned by the Tribune. Still shocked?

SMO
:gulp:

inta
10-29-2004, 12:21 AM
I wish hawk would take a few pages from stoney's book... be less of a homer or better yet, just freakin retire already.

the bad thing about chip leaving is now we have the worst announcer in baseball... hawk.

JoseCanseco6969
10-29-2004, 01:11 AM
I wish hawk would take a few pages from stoney's book... be less of a homer or better yet, just freakin retire already.

the bad thing about chip leaving is now we have the worst announcer in baseball... hawk.
yeah Hawk is so horrible my ass. Im sick of you people who love to listen to the medias picture of hawk and DJ as these morons who have so many dead silences and are just a bunch of homers always. I watch almost every game and thats just a bunch of BS. Yes they can be homers at times but arent the ones that our crappy radio stations make them out to be as well as these damn newscasters we have in Chicago. I couldnt imagine a Sox game without hawk calling it. I think one of these days when he does call it quits or dies, people will truly miss hawk and his hawkisms that we have come to know and some of us love as a tradition that we very much lack on the southside. Stoney was a good broadcaster and Id love to see him with Hawk, but doubt it will happen since hes already pissed off WGN pretty good.