PDA

View Full Version : Is Frank holding us back?

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Now I heard this from a non-sox fan....

He speculates that the mere fact that Frank Thomas is still in the lineup destines us for failure, just because Thomas has been associated with us not succeeding throughout his career.

In addition, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Thomas's style has changed....and IMO not for the better.....I don't particularly love Thomas's all homer no avg. stats, it's not helping us win and resembles a mini sosa

opinions...

Deadguy
10-28-2004, 07:40 PM
I wonder what held us back the 70 years prior to Thomas joining the team, or the 48 years prior to Thomas being born?

It's 2004, not 1994. Thomas can't carry this team anywhere, all he can be is a contributor. Anyone who expects more will be left disappointed.

NSSoxFan2
10-28-2004, 07:43 PM
No.

Frank is definitely not the problem on this team. The Big Hurt does everything that would help a winning baseball club: takes walks, creates situations, provides 100+RBI/BB/RUNS.

There are holes on our team, Hurt is not one of them.

ondafarm
10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
In addition, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Thomas's style has changed....and IMO not for the better.....I don't particularly love Thomas's all homer no avg. stats, it's not helping us win and resembles a mini sosa

opinions...
Thomas still has an OBP better than most leadoff hitters. His avg was hovering in the 290s before his injury. He makes everyone else on the team better because of his getting on base so often. He scores runs at the same rate as derek Jeter and I've never heard of anyone saying he was the Yankee's problem.

Frank Thomas is not a hole on this team.

Palehose13
10-28-2004, 07:58 PM

He speculates that the mere fact that Frank Thomas is still in the lineup destines us for failure, just because Thomas has been associated with us not succeeding throughout his career.

opinions...
It's obvious that your friend isn't a Sox fan. If he was, he would realize that Frank is nothing like Sammy Sosa.

You know, I think Wade Boggs was teh reason the Red Sox didn't win all those years... :rolleyes:

MRKARNO
10-28-2004, 08:01 PM
:threadsucks
:threadblows:

Frank Thomas is the best thing the White Sox have going on the hitting side of things. If you'll recall, Thomas was up near .300 in AVG and had one of the BEST OBPs in Baseball before he went down. He's one of the best hitters in baseball when healthy and any more of such talk is ludicrous.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Allow me to say a few things about Frank Thomas:

1. He is still amongst the elite power hitters in baseball.

2. He routinely posts 40 HR/100 RBI/.400 OPB seasons, and would have done so last season had he not been injured.

3. He is not the problem on this team.

The White Sox have several holes. The 1B/DH position is not one of them. Your friend is either not a Sox fan, or he doesn't follow baseball closely.

balke
10-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Frank wasn't going for HR's this season. It was partially Manuel's idea to let Frank rip away. Frank seemed to have his swing corrected when he was playing this season, not getting called out on the inside pitch nearly as much. He was fighting away, and had like 70 walks in half a season.

I was watching Sportschannel's greatest hitters of the 90's, and Frank Thomas was #3 on the list, behind Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. That's right where I would put him. I would take him any day, for more than we're paying him. It's just a shame with both him and Griffey, that they get injured so frequently.

People say he's getting over the hill, blah blah blah. But Frank was still the most productive Hitter on the team this season when everyone was healthy. He doesn't have an attitude, he doesn't swing away. He gets on base, and wins Games for the WHite Sox. Then the media picks on him because his team gets nowhere, and Frank gets hurt a lot. Hopefully we have him next season. His injury seems pretty serious.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Hopefully we have him next season. His injury seems pretty serious.
Don't worry. Frank will be back for 2005. The only question is whether he will be availible for Opening Day. He is slated to return sometime in March or April. It depends on fast his ankle heals now that he has had the surgery.

Jjav829
10-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Yes. The big loser has to stop getting on base so much. Less walks, more big hacks! That's the solution. O, and if he could steal a base once in a while he could manage to make himself useful. :rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Yes. The big loser has to stop getting on base so much. Less walks, more big hacks! That's the solution. O, and if he could steal a base once in a while he could manage to make himself useful. :rolleyes:
Hey! Don't criticize Ozzie-ball. It's an attitude, remember?

faneidde
10-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Um, no. Frank Thomas is much closer to the solution than the problem. The guy just gets on base, which is something a lot of other guys on this team do not. If I could only keep one player from this year's team for next year, it would be Frank in a one year situation only. Also, the guy is a life-long Sock, getting rid of him would not be a good PR move for the organization.

soxtalker
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
For a few years recently, I actually did think that Frank was holding us back. His average was dropping, and he always seemed to be unhappy. Even with that, he was a pretty good hitter, but it seemed to limit our flexibility to have a player that really couldn't play the field. (I know -- lots of people were calling for him to play the field, as this seemed to increase his average. All I can say is that they tried this in the 90's, and the Sox aren't going to go there. Think of our last play of the 2000 play-offs.) This past year, however, he was awesome. He went back to taking pitches, and his OBP was incredible. That's exactly the kind of player I'd like to have holding us back.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2004, 08:56 PM

opinions...

This post sets the human race back.

cburns
10-28-2004, 09:17 PM
You can't ask for much more from a DH

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
This post sets the human race back.
I agree with batmanZoSo.

Please, when Frank is on, the Sox are on.

Maybe we found our curse, the Curse of Frank Thomas!

You shouldn't not be associated with people who say such stupid things. This non-Sox fan has made all of us little dumber.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2004, 09:59 PM

opinions...What color is the sky on the planet where you live? Thomas is easily the most productive hitter the Sox have. And not only is your friend a non-Sox fan, he doesn't know diddle about baseball.

DSpivack
10-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Wasn't the Big Hurt's OPS around #3 in MLB when he got injured?

Baby Fisk
10-29-2004, 03:22 PM
There's too many goddam Hall of Famers like Frank Thomas dragging this team down. These selfish bastards with their home run power and their superhuman ability to draw walks...all that OBP just makes the rest of the team look weak and ineffective. Besides, what the hell has Frank Thomas done for the Sox since the all-star break? *****.

The Franchise = :hurt

Rocky Soprano
10-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Frank Thomas is The White Sox. He is the only Sox player that can carry the entire team. When Thomas is Hot the whole team just follows his lead.

Your friend is retarded.

Foulke29
10-29-2004, 03:49 PM
:threadsucks Idiots post nonsense!

Big Frank is the single best player ever to wear a White Sox Uniform. Don't you forget it. Show some respect! And take your shoes off before walking on the carpeting.

RKMeibalane
10-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Wasn't the Big Hurt's OPS around #3 in MLB when he got injured?
Yes. People were taking about him as an early-season MVP candidate.

gosox41
10-29-2004, 05:00 PM

opinions...
.430 career OBP. OPS in the .950-1000 range. Ability to work a pitcher and face 6-7 pitches in an at bat.

He's not holding anything back. It's the cast around him (and no, not all the cast) that's preventing this team from winning. I'd take those numbers from anyone.

Bob

DumpJerry
10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
If Hurtis Maximus is holding us back, then we will finish with a worse record than the Roylas did in 2004. The only way you can argue that he is holding us back is the at he cannot make hits and runs when out with injuries.

santo=dorf
10-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Your friend is either not a Sox fan, or he doesn't follow baseball closely.
I think being a Cubs fan would cover both of those descriptions. :cool:

pinwheels3530
10-29-2004, 07:05 PM

opinions...

Your friend is probably a Cub fan and is pissed off because Sammy Sosa has been exposed to be the fraud & selfish player that Frank has been accused of all these years........the truth hurts!!!!

1951Campbell
10-29-2004, 10:30 PM
I honestly can't believe that we're having this conversation again. If a 1.000 OPS "holds a team back", then I'm sure there are about 25 MLB teams that would love to be held back by Big Frank.

samram
10-29-2004, 10:35 PM
It's obvious that your friend isn't a Sox fan. If he was, he would realize that Frank is nothing like Sammy Sosa.

You know, I think Wade Boggs was teh reason the Red Sox didn't win all those years... :rolleyes:

I blame Ted Williams. Screw batting .400- play some defense and get out there and pitch a few innings.

voodoochile
10-30-2004, 12:10 AM
And that about covers that...

I got nothing left. You folks all did it for me. Nice to see WSI as a whole step up and defend the big man...

Just to clarify my stance...

:threadrules:

It's merely the first post that sucks...:o: :cool: :bandance: