PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona

jcirish85
10-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I am so glad the Sox decided not to hire Terry Francona, after all, what has he done? I think we have one more reason to fire Kenny Williams...immediatley.

IlliniSox
10-28-2004, 05:13 PM
I am so glad the Sox decided not to hire Terry Francona, after all, what has he done? I think we have one more reason to fire Kenny Williams...immediatley.
I'm no Ozzie fan, but the Bosox did a lot of their work in spite of their manager. For instance, ask a Red Sox fan about the puke in their mouth when Pedro was in there in Game 7 at Yankee stadium-what was he thinking? "The crowds getting a little quiet, let's get 'em back into it with our team nursing a blowout"

Point is, I don't need any more reasons to fire KW.

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Don't blame Kenny. How could we possibly win a bidding war with Boston (who's payroll is double of what the Sox's is?)

:reinsy
"Look in the mirror? Why do you people keep saying that to me?"

Soxzilla
10-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Why is teal so hard to understand.

mdep524
10-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Hate to do it buddy, but come on.

:threadsucks

Learn your colors btw.

chisoxmike
10-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't think Francona would've been a good fit for this club. The players, at least through July seemed to be responding to Ozzie's "never say die" ways. It was working for half the season. Then we all know what happened.
(See 7/26-7/28)

ja1022
10-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I think the conventional thinking was that by hiring Francona you'd be hiring another Manuel; that their personalities and styles were very similar. In fact, at some point during the season, I remember Francona taking some hits from the media about his laid back approach. That kind of approach seems better suited for a very veteran team like the Bosox.

jabrch
10-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Yeah - Francona's excellent managing was what won Boston the series.

A.T. Money
10-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Ozzie would have won the World Series with that payroll.

You people never quit.

It's all about the money. Spend, and then you'll see it turn around.

guillen4life13
10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Hindsight is golden.

In other words... please, this is a futile argument you're shelling out. Who in the world would have thought Francona would be where he is today, first off. Secondly, if the White Sox had the players the BoSox have, then it wouldn't have taken such a great manager to pull this.

The sox need help with their players, not the manager. I like Ozzie. I just think the players need to get their heads out of their behinds and start playing to win.

jcirish85
10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Well calling him too layed back is a bad argument. The teams personality is reflexive of the managers and the Red Sox came back all the time, all year long. The White Sox only did for about half the year. Second, he was a huge reason why the Red Sox won the series. He never gave up, even when being down 3-0 and his team responded to him. He deserves alot more credit for all the great moves he made. The only bad move that comes to mind is when he put pedro in at Yankee stadium, but that probably so Pedro could get his confidence back. The fact is, the White Sox could of had this guy and they made another horrible move. But it's ok, we're playing ozzieball now.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2004, 07:55 PM

Blah, blah, blah, Francona wouldn't have had the same talent, blah, blah, blah...

SEALgep
10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I am so glad the Sox decided not to hire Terry Francona, after all, what has he done? I think we have one more reason to fire Kenny Williams...immediatley.Ya because Boston won because of Terry. Nothing against the guy, but I'll still take Ozzie. People seem to assume Boston is always the underdog with the second largest payroll in baseball. So in summarization :rolleyes:

IlliniSox
10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Why is teal so hard to understand.
My bad. Sarcasm noted.

Flight #24
10-29-2004, 10:06 AM
100% correct, because Terry Francona would obviously have run onto the field and tackled Willie Harris before he could collide with Maggs and spent all of his free time carrying Frank around on his back to minimize wear on his ankles....

MrKinsella
10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
100% correct, because Terry Francona would obviously have run onto the field and tackled Willie Harris before he could collide with Maggs and spent all of his free time carrying Frank around on his back to minimize wear on his ankles....
Enough said. The only reason they hired Francona is because he was a condition of the Schilling deal. The guy has just won the world series so I don't want to discredit him on an incrdeible win but he had little to do with them winning.
Lay off Kenny Williams for another year to see how his draft picks turn out.

Baby Fisk
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
When Boston was approx. 60 games behind the Yankees at mid-season, people in Boston were writing off the season and wanted to hang Francona from a tree.

:threadblows:

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 02:36 PM
100% correct, because Terry Francona would obviously have run onto the field and tackled Willie Harris before he could collide with Maggs ....
Say, Im glad someone brought this up, I keep forgetting to bring this up.
I was at a local watering hole and in walks one of the regulars, hes a Sox Fan
also. We chat for a minute and he gave me the same Exasperated "what-the-hell-is-this-team-gonna-do" speech. He mentioned he didnt know if they could get another Magglio out on the Open Market ....and then Muttered if they werent so cheap and got a real 2B, Magglio wouldnt be hurt!

I didnt comment on it, but its been on my mind the last few days.

A. Cavatica
10-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Good for Francona.

I was a big opponent of hiring Ozzie but he wasn't this year's Alan Trammell. I don't think Francona would've gotten us to the playoffs either. I followed the Red Sox a fair amount this year, and in spite of winning the Series, I think you could say the Red Sox underachieved considering all the talent they had. This team was stacked.

Consider the Boston bench. Mirabelli, Reese, and Youkilis are better than our catchers, second basemen, and third baseman. Kapler would've started in right after Magglio got hurt. Mientkiewicz wouldn't have started for us, but he was good enough to start for the team that beat us the last few years.

Consider the starters. Their top two guys are way better than our top two guys, and their #3/#4/#5 (Lowe, Wakefield, Arroyo) are better than Contreras or Garland.

Their starting lineup was unbelievable, with the defending AL batting champ hitting ninth for most of the year.

So I think any sour grapes about not hiring Francona are just stupid.

SoxEd
10-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Good for Francona.
...and in spite of winning the Series, I think you could say the Red Sox underachieved considering all the talent they had. This team was stacked.

OK, please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'Boston underachieved despite winning the WS'?

What else could they win?

The NASCAR title?

The UEFA Champions' League?

Sure, they didn't win as many regular-season games as the Yanks or the Cards, but they beat both those teams this October, and are now World Champions.

What more do you expect from them?

A. Cavatica
10-30-2004, 03:41 PM
They should've won 100+ games and the AL East with that team. They played indifferent ball until the Garciaparra trade lit a fire under them.

To Francona's credit, he kept them focused through the playoffs, and his in-game decisions were rock solid, but the reason the Red Sox won was TALENT.

Wealz
10-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Say, Im glad someone brought this up, I keep forgetting to bring this up.
I was at a local watering hole and in walks one of the regulars, hes a Sox Fan
also. We chat for a minute and he gave me the same Exasperated "what-the-hell-is-this-team-gonna-do" speech. He mentioned he didnt know if they could get another Magglio out on the Open Market ....and then Muttered if they werent so cheap and got a real 2B, Magglio wouldnt be hurt!

I didnt comment on it, but its been on my mind the last few days.Ordonez' silly slide was as much or more to blame for his injury as Harris. If Ordonez keeps his feet he had a chance of changing course, not to mention he doesn't get kicked in the knee by Harris. Getting kicked might have been what caused the bone marrow edema.

santo=dorf
10-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Ordonez' silly slide was as much or more to blame for his injury as Harris. If Ordonez keeps his feet he had a chance of changing course, not to mention he doesn't get kicked in the knee by Harris. Getting kicked might have been what caused the bone marrow edema.
Magglio loves to do that slidding catch. I swear, sometimes he would use it on what would look like a routine flyball.

SoxFan76
10-30-2004, 06:06 PM
:tealpolice:

Brian26
10-30-2004, 07:03 PM
It's all about the money. Spend, and then you'll see it turn around.
Unless you're the Mets or Orioles.

Whitesox029
10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Red Sox=The New Yankees.
This is the most difficult-to-read color in the whole WSI message board spectrum.

Sorry buddy but I had to get my two cents in.

Whitesox029
10-30-2004, 10:42 PM
:tealpolice::hawk
Is that a tag? It dad-gum well should be.