PDA

View Full Version : Attention Sox Fans: We Are Not Cursed!

Rocky Soprano
10-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Im sick of reading all these cursed threads! WE ARE NOT CURSED, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURSE.

Let us not become Cub Fans and start blaming our dismal years on some stupid curse.

We lose cause our owner is cheap and because our team underachieves. PERIOD.

That is all.

GO SOX!

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I've been saying that, but I'm just a newbie and can't throw my weight around :D:

idseer
10-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Im sick of reading all these cursed threads! WE ARE NOT CURSED, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURSE.

GO SOX!
are you sure???? :unsure:

Dan H
10-28-2004, 05:21 PM
I am with Rocky. There is no such thing as a curse. The Cub sideshow with blowing up the ball was overblown and not real fun. It was also stupid and Sox fans shouldn't get caught up in it or anything like it. And we are wasting our time fighting with the media. Want to send a message to someone? Send one to Jerry Reinsdorf that we don't want to wait anymore. Enough is enough.

shagar69
10-28-2004, 05:25 PM
no doubt we are not cursed. our problem is bad ownership who wont spend money and underachieving year after year after year

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I don't think anyone at WSI thinks we're all of the sudden "cursed"... a lot of the threads referencing the supposed "curse" are just illustrating the newfound attention to our longstanding futility.

Foulke29
10-28-2004, 05:32 PM

Let us not become Cub Fans and start blaming our dismal years on some stupid curse.

That is all.

GO SOX!Whew - well, now I am glad to know that the 666 embroidered on the inside of my Sox cap is probably related to the Anti Christ rather than a White Sox curse. That's quite reassuring.

:bandance:

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 05:43 PM
I never claimed we were cursed. I agree with Rocky.

All we need is ownership committed to winning and knows how to make it happen. Real simple. Completely missing here.

BTW, blowing up the ball, whining about goats and "curses" makes our city look like it's inhabited by bumpkins.
:sellreinsy

soxfan26
10-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Whew - well, now I am glad to know that the 666 embroidered on the inside of my Sox cap is probably related to the Anti Christ rather than a White Sox curse. That's quite reassuring.
:bandance:
:tealpolice:

Ladies and Gentlemen please! Think before you color you're sarcastic comments. It could be someone you love who gets hurt in the end.

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 06:16 PM
i would just like to give my undying support to the idea that we are not cursed and curses are for whining little cub fans

StockdaleForVeep
10-28-2004, 07:19 PM

That is all.

GO SOX!

This was off the AP and the topic was the cubs curse

"White Sox fan George Bova, 43, of suburban Elmhurst called curses ``goofy'' excuses and said they aren't to blame for the performance of the White Sox, who last appeared in the World Series in 1959. ``There were tangible reasons that our team wasn't good enough as opposed to cursed baseballs or Babe Ruth being traded. All these reasons don't wash for White Sox fans,'' said Bova, who runs a White Sox fan Web site. ``Unlike a Cubs fan, we have never turned our losing into some sort of lovable attribute.''"

TornLabrum
10-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Today in the Kansas City Star there was an article by Chicagoan (and White Sox Fan) Kevin Kaduk, who identified himself as an avid WSI reader, titled "Chicago Now Cursed Worst."

In the article he discusses both Chicago teams' long string of futility. He then discusses the Cubs at great length but then discusses the White Sox after discussing next year's upcoming Cubs-Red Sox series.

Here is what he had to say about us (quoting a WSI writer I'm very fond of):

So where do the White Sox fit into this entire picture? The 87-year dry streak on the South Side rarely surfaces in national discussion and even gets lost in Chicago, which has largely turned Cubs-crazy in recent years.

The response of White Sox fans — a group that would rather take a January bath in Lake Michigan than cheer for the Cubs — has been to simply ignore it. The South Siders believe they don't need a billy goat or a nerdy guy wearing headphones to rally around.

“White Sox fans don't talk about a ‘Black Sox Curse' or a ‘Curse of Buck Weaver,' ” said WhiteSoxInteractive.com writer Hal Vickery, referring to the thrown 1919 World Series. “Sox fans are quite aware of why they have made the postseason only four times since 1919. It has nothing to do with curses and everything to do with bad management and lack of talent.”

The funny thing is that Chicago teams seem to own the copyright on bad management and lack of talent.

He then goes on to briefly discuss this situation as applied to the Hawks, Bears, and Bulls.

Deadguy
10-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I never for one second believed that the Sox were cursed. The problem is lack of parity. When one team (the Yankees) wins 26 titles over the course of 80+ years, it's not surprising that a couple of teams hit long droughts of not winning a title.

Add to that expansion, and the fact that now, even with perfect parity, it would take 30+ years for every team to win a title, lots of teams are going to go long periods of time without winning a title. I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now, 4 of the following teams will still have never won a title:

Padres
Mariners
Brewers
Rangers
Astros
Devil Rays
Rockies

Sell Jerry Sell!
10-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Mike Greenburg this morning on 1000. He said the cubs have the cubs nation (which was copied from the red sox) and then he said forget about the white sox because they have nobody.

I think it's time for the biased people at WSI to band together and fight this notion that we are nobodies. From now on when someone goes to a game in bring signs, wear shirts whatever and get the word out there that we probably are some of if not the most emotional and passionate fans in MLB.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I don't think anyone at WSI thinks we're all of the sudden "cursed"... a lot of the threads referencing the supposed "curse" are just illustrating the newfound attention to our longstanding futility.

If the Red Sox breaking theirs gets us extra attention, then it ultimately means a little more money. I say what the hell...

Lip Man 1
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
On the Tribune web site, Sox fan John Kass has a new column that talks about John Kerry but weaves in a lot of the White Sox and talks to fans about 'curses.' You may enjoy reading it. It's up right now in sports.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
10-28-2004, 08:25 PM
This was off the AP and the topic was the cubs curse

"White Sox fan George Bova, 43, of suburban Elmhurst called curses ``goofy'' excuses and said they aren't to blame for the performance of the White Sox, who last appeared in the World Series in 1959. ``There were tangible reasons that our team wasn't good enough as opposed to cursed baseballs or Babe Ruth being traded. All these reasons don't wash for White Sox fans,'' said Bova, who runs a White Sox fan Web site. ``Unlike a Cubs fan, we have never turned our losing into some sort of lovable attribute.''"
Here's the AP news wire story about Chicago's lousy baseball teams. As usual, we get second banana billing.

:redface:

Cubs fans blah blah blah... and Sox Fans, too. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1911555)

Obviously our web address was edited from the story. Bastards.
:wink:

Deadguy
10-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Well said. This gives the nation a nice perspective about how most White Sox fans feel about curses (if they care).

Sell Jerry Sell!
10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
we were ranked #2 in most cursed teams by espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=cursed/041029

marlins03
10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
There is only one team in Chicago that has a curse and thats the Cubs LONG LIVE THE GOAT
http://justin.turnthecrank.com/graphics/cubs_marlins_goat_game7.jpg

Deadguy
10-28-2004, 08:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...e=cursed/041029
35. Texas Rangers - Curse of Robin Ventura: Look, when that old man grabbed Robin around his neck and knocked him silly, let's just say Ventura's hike into the mountains of Tibet that winter paid off with a certain spell he cast over the Rangers

:rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
If the Red Sox breaking theirs gets us extra attention, then it ultimately means a little more money. I say what the hell...
Any curse associated with the White Sox will be bad, and people will not want to see it broken. The Curse of the Black Sox? A curse based on a team that threw the World Series? People will think we deserve to be cursed. I've already had people tell me that they'd never root for the White Sox since they threw the World Series, an event that happened before their grandparents were even born.

nasox
10-29-2004, 01:12 AM
We are "cursed" with an ownership with **** for brains. Not cursed, but "cursed"

SOXSINCE'70
10-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Please read Hal Vickery's column "Curse The Ineptitude!" on WSI.

He echoes Rocky's thoughts as well.:yup: :yup: