PDA

View Full Version : Canseco's True Colors

RKMeibalane
10-10-2001, 07:16 PM
Joes Canseco has shown his true colors. I read something at chicagosports.com about Canseco being interested in the Cubs. I realize that he won't be back because Thomas will back in the number three spot in 2002.

Canseco has proven time and time again that he is arrogant. He just doesn't understand that he is thirty seven years old, and that means that he can't do everything he used to do. Because of this, he must assume a limited role, not the role of someone who's an elite player.

I fail to see why Canseco belives that he can play the field. He is slow, and he no longer has the athletic ability to chase down fly balls. Besides, his late-season slump will probably scare off teams from pursuing him. He's become a hired-gun, somebody teams add when they're trying to win a a penant of if they need a replacement for someone who is injured.

Daver
10-10-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Joes Canseco has shown his true colors. I read something at chicagosports.com about Canseco being interested in the Cubs. I realize that he won't be back because Thomas will back in the number three spot in 2002.

Canseco has proven time and time again that he is arrogant. He just doesn't understand that he is thirty seven years old, and that means that he can't do everything he used to do. Because of this, he must assume a limited role, not the role of someone who's an elite player.

I fail to see why Canseco belives that he can play the field. He is slow, and he no longer has the athletic ability to chase down fly balls. Besides, his late-season slump will probably scare off teams from pursuing him. He's become a hired-gun, somebody teams add when they're trying to win a a penant of if they need a replacement for someone who is injured.

Canseco is pursuing 500 HR's the same way that Harold is pursuing 3000 hits,I cannot really fault either of them for trying to get into the HOF.In Harold's case he may become the first player with over 1500 RBI's that DOESN"T get in.And now that he has proven he is healthy someone will sign Canseco for next year.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2001, 09:07 PM
I cant imagine a National League team putting him on defense every day. He has a decent shot at 500 HR, but will only get enough At Bats in the AL.

Daver
10-10-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I cant imagine a National League team putting him on defense every day. He has a decent shot at 500 HR, but will only get enough At Bats in the AL.

Last I checked he needs less than thirty,with MLB pitching being what it is these days,he will get there.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by daver

Last I checked he needs less than thirty,with MLB pitching being what it is these days,he will get there. with the old agreement in, will we offer him a little contract and let another team get him, like this we will get a draft pick for him...... assuming a team will do that. do you think that is what going to happen?

Daver
10-10-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
with the old agreement in, will we offer him a little contract and let another team get him, like this we will get a draft pick for him...... assuming a team will do that. do you think that is what going to happen?

Kenny Williams was quoted as saying he won't be back,so the most they would offer is the league minimum if that.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:22 PM

Kenny Williams was quoted as saying he won't be back,so the most they would offer is the league minimum if that. even with the league minimum, we are to get compensated if a team sign him....... right?

Daver
10-10-2001, 09:24 PM
even with the league minimum, we are to get compensated if a team sign him....... right?

I would have to check to see if that applies,he was not here a full season.

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:25 PM

I would have to check to see if that applies,he was not here a full season. cool...... thanks.

CLR01
10-11-2001, 02:54 AM
cool...... thanks.

Please let him go to the north side, they could use another poor fielding free swinger over there. As long as he never wears a sox uni again i will be happy.

LongDistanceFan
10-11-2001, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Please let him go to the north side, they could use another poor fielding free swinger over there. As long as he never wears a sox uni again i will be happy. i'm with you on this, as long as we get a draft pick with that.........

Randar68
10-11-2001, 12:51 PM
I would have to check to see if that applies,he was not here a full season.

Does not matter, as long as we make a "qualifying offer" or offer arbitration but are refused. Since Canseco is a veteran and doesn't have to go through arbitration, we simply have to offer a very small pay raise to be qualifying, but we would only get a second round choice, maybe even only a sandwich pick for him. But that's a lot IMHO for what he was able to bring in the short run at league minimum.

LongDistanceFan
10-11-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Does not matter, as long as we make a "qualifying offer" or offer arbitration but are refused. Since Canseco is a veteran and doesn't have to go through arbitration, we simply have to offer a very small pay raise to be qualifying, but we would only get a second round choice, maybe even only a sandwich pick for him. But that's a lot IMHO for what he was able to bring in the short run at league minimum. perfect......... define qualifying offer?

Tragg
10-11-2001, 04:41 PM

Canseco is pursuing 500 HR's the same way that Harold is pursuing 3000 hits,.

Neither one is a hall of fame caliber player. Baines hasn't been the best player in the league in 15+ years (if he ever was). MVPs are a nice hall credential - at least you were best (or enough people thought so or you kissed mike lupica's ass enough) at some point.

Daver
10-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Neither one is a hall of fame caliber player. Baines hasn't been the best player in the league in 15+ years (if he ever was). MVPs are a nice hall credential - at least you were best (or enough people thought so or you kissed mike lupica's ass enough) at some point.

Pete Rose is the only player I can think of that has 3000 hits and is not,or will not be,in the HOF,the same for Canseco and 500 HR's,it is like a free ticket in.

Tragg
10-11-2001, 07:13 PM
It's a different era now. I don't think those milestones are as meaningful. And baines is really hanging on way to long, such that the 3K hits, if he gets it, is sort of bogus.

But, as someone else says, what the hell do I know.

doublem23
10-11-2001, 07:21 PM
Perhaps, but 3000 H and 500 HR are still all but guarantees into the Hall of Fame. Maybe in a few years, the 500 HR will mean little, but players hitting 500 still played in the late 80s, early 90s when homers were a little less commonplace. But I think 3000 hits will always be a major milestone unless they expand the schedule.

voodoochile
10-11-2001, 07:55 PM
They used to say the ame thing about 400 HR. If Baines doesn't get in, he would definitely be the only player with that many hits and 1500+ RBI that doesn't get in even if he doesn't get another one of either. Probably make it through the veterans committee in time...