PDA

View Full Version : Thomas, Everett, Shingo back...Sandy is not.

Mickster
10-28-2004, 02:53 PM
In the "not really news" catagory:

Frank ($8.0M) and Everett ($4.0M) have officially exercised their player options. The Sox exercised ther team option on Shingo for $2.5M.
The Sox have declined their team option on Sandy Alomar.

LINKY (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=whitesoxthomas&prov=st&type=lgns)

mrwag
10-28-2004, 03:15 PM
In the "not really news" catagory:

Frank ($8.0M) and Everett ($4.0M) have officially exercised their player options. The Sox exercised ther team option on Shingo for $2.5M.
The Sox have declined their team option on Sandy Alomar.

LINKY (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=whitesoxthomas&prov=st&type=lgns)All good things, except maybe Everett. A waste of 4 mil - hope I'm wrong.

SoxFanTillDeath
10-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Not a surprise. Both Alomars are gone. The Alomar brothers were nice guys, but anyone who is eligible for senior citizen discounts at Old Country Buffet should not be allowed to put on a pair of cleats everyday.

SoxBoy14
10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Good to see Frank and Shingo comming back in a Sox uniform. Everett i'm not so sure about, but there's hope. I guess all I can say for Sandy is see ya later.

Brian26
10-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Not a surprise. Both Alomars are gone.

Is Robbie officially gone?

munchman33
10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Is Robbie officially gone?
:KW
"Only until about late June."

Brian26
10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
:KW
"Only until about late June."

LOL! Nice. :D:

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Sandy ought to just retire at this point. I'm sure he'll be a good coach, but his playing days are done.

NonetheLoaiza
10-28-2004, 09:23 PM
carl at 4 million is not as bad of a thing as people make it out to be. provided he comes to spring training in good shape and ready to play, he can go 25/80...and thats not terrible. hes the kind of guy that can fire the other players up and bring some baseball knowledge to the clubhouse. as long as that 4 million isnt totally lost in an injury or pk 2003 performance, im perfectly fine with him coming back in 05.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Sandy ought to just retire at this point. I'm sure he'll be a good coach, but his playing days are done.
Agreed. I could see him coming back next season as the Sox bench coach, with Harold being given another coaching position.

nitetrain8601
10-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Anyone think that the White Sox should just let whoever battle it out in ST with ALomar in the fold and whoever Ozzie feels better with.

schmitty9800
10-28-2004, 10:26 PM
carl at 4 million is not as bad of a thing as people make it out to be. provided he comes to spring training in good shape and ready to play, he can go 25/80...and thats not terrible. hes the kind of guy that can fire the other players up and bring some baseball knowledge to the clubhouse. as long as that 4 million isnt totally lost in an injury or pk 2003 performance, im perfectly fine with him coming back in 05.
Agreed. He can be an outfield sub at any position, and be a dangerous switch hitted bat off of the bench. He still has the talent to hit .280-30-90 or so (assuming 450 at bats or so, and some healthy optimism).

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Agreed. He can be an outfield sub at any position, and be a dangerous switch hitted bat off of the bench. He still has the talent to hit .280-30-90 or so (assuming 450 at bats or so, and some healthy optimism).Dino could be just insurance against Thomas being out longer than expected. If Thomas comes back and is effective, and Dino is in shape and hitting, Dino could be dealt mid-year for whatever need the Sox have at the time. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that should be in deep pink, because it sounds more and more like he's going to be playing the OF.:whiner:

mike squires
10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
You said it. He's got to be in decent shape. I hope he eats healthy, has a good weight lifting program and he should be productive. It shouldn't be long before we hear some Magg news.

Mickster
10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
You said it. He's got to be in decent shape. I hope he eats healthy, has a good weight lifting program and he should be productive. It shouldn't be long before we hear some Magg news.
You got what you asked for. Here's a few KW quotes (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns).

If Ordonez does leave, at least the White Sox have plenty of outfielders. Carl Everett exercised his $4 million option Thursday, and has promised to be in better shape than he was this year.
"We don't have to worry about Carl Everett,'' Williams said. "He had begun (getting in shape) before the season ended and we expect him to return to type of production he had just one year ago. He just was derailed from a couple of little things.''

Tragg
10-28-2004, 11:11 PM
All good things, except maybe Everett. A waste of 4 mil - hope I'm wrong.
As a bench player, fine; I know you don't normally pay 4 Mill to bench players, but it was a terrible trade to get stuck with his salary and it's water under the bridge - nothing we can do about it so don't exacerbate the effects of a lousy deal by figuring we have to start him.