PDA

View Full Version : Will Reinsdorf Open his wallet in 2005?

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
He's been better lately, but the only way to win today is with $$$. Now I know the Marlins won but in general cash is a key ingredient in a playoff appearance.

Side question....could a payroll increase put us on the maps?

Could we make it on a tight budget?

jabrch
10-28-2004, 02:50 PM
What's a yaht?

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 02:52 PM
a yaht is a big ass boat so that reinsdorf can sail lake michigan in style while the team struggles to stay afloat against the tigers

kittle42
10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
a yaht is a big ass boat so that reinsdorf can sail lake michigan in style while the team struggles to stay afloat against the tigersNo. I believe that is a "yacht."

The "skies the limit" is also incorrect.

Thanks for playing!

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Reinsdorf's yaht better not stray too close to the location of the secret subterranean lair where the reanimated clone of Bill Veeck bides his time...

:veeck
"Igor! How are the middle infield embryos coming along?"

:dumbash
"Most tremendously, master! The Nelson Foxes and Luis Aparicios are almost ready for hatching!"

"Good, good. Hm... I'm feeling wistful. Send in the clone of Eddie Gaedel to entertain me with some dirty limericks."

:dumbash
"Of course, master!"

"God, I love a good dirty limerick."

CubKilla
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Is the Pope jewish?

eriqjaffe
10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Open his wallet? Reinsdorf would rather trade a couple of mid-level prospects to Starbucks for a frappuccino.

:reinsy
"Ha! The secret is...I don't carry a wallet! I keep it all in a money belt!"

Flight #24
10-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Positive signs:

1) historically, when the team has been close to contending and/or attendance has improved, payroll has gone up. This year qualifies.

2) I believe the Maggs offer was still on the table, even after the Everett trade. So they were willing to bump payroll with that signing, why not with others?

3) They were willing to take on significant payroll in trades for Walker/Delgado. An argument can easily be made that doing the same and adding back Frank to the team is a better bet.

4) Between the deals of Paulie, CLee, Frank, Shingo, Everett, Contreras, the Sox have the ability to clear $30-40mil of payroll in the next 2 years via deals or not resigning guys. Thus any big money, long term deal is actually not a long-term commitment to a high salary level. If wins & attendance aren't following, they can easily drop salary dramatically.

5) There have been a number of reports on what Sox management is going to do with the "savings from Maggs & Valentin". This is despite the fact that they've added Garcia, Everett, Contreras for next year.

6) It's possible that watching the Red Sox and the accompanying reaction from fans that Sox ownership will decide the potential benefits outweight hte financial risks (A long shot, but possible).

Negative signs:
1) KW's comments about financial restrictions re:Beltran. Of course, IIRC this was back when he was rumored to cost near $20mil and before the rumored $15mil price tag and move away from Boras came out

2) History: While payroll does go up, a drastic increase like $20mil or so and/or signing of the top name FAs out there is rare.

All in all, I'm rpetty optimistic that payroll will go up a reasonable amount (say 10-15mil). I doubt it would be any higher than that, but if you take that and a trade of a guy like Konerko you have a lot to play with.

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Uncle Jerry can't increase the payroll. The hinge on the checkbook is so rusty, all the 3-in-1 oil in the world won't get it to open up.:whiner:

:sellreinsy

munchman33
10-28-2004, 05:49 PM
"Open my wallet? You gonna add to it?"

Brian26
10-28-2004, 05:53 PM
No. I believe that is a "yacht."

The "skies the limit" is also incorrect.

Thanks for playing!

Oh contrare, Mr Kittle. JR is a very active skier in the offseason, and what the original poster meant was that JR was going to be rushing down those slopes at break-neck speed! Ah, yes. JR, this winter, as in all winters, "skies the limit". Yep.

shagar69
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
no chance in hell, unless it is like 3 or 4 mil.

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 07:10 PM
is it too optimistic to think that he's been waiting until the right time to reveal his 100 million dollar stash which he wants to use to turn us into a WS contender?

soxfan26
10-28-2004, 07:21 PM
is it too optimistic to think that he's been waiting until the right time to reveal his 100 million dollar stash which he wants to use to turn us into a WS contender?
:tealpolice:

Not so fast there jlh0023! The Teal is just north of the button you used. Just one click south of "dark slate blue." Now let's clean it up, and remember a good poster always follow the rules.

MRKARNO
10-28-2004, 08:03 PM
I fully expect to see an increase of at least 10 million in payroll and it wouldn't be all that inconsistant with what the ownership has been doing over the past few years.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Nope.

fusillirob1983
10-28-2004, 08:46 PM
I expect an increase in the use of the teal police picture. Man, it's going to start getting very predictable while scrolling down the page from now on...

LAWSfan
10-29-2004, 02:39 AM
The Orioles spent a lot of money last winter for Tejada and Palmeiro. They have a large payroll and what did that get them?

The Phillies signed Thome, Bell and spent money two years ago. What happened? No division, no wild cards, nothing.

The Dodgers have a large payroll the past 5-7 years didn't win a division or wild card.

The Angels spend a lot of money last winter, Vlad, Colon, Escobar. While they won their division they didn't last long in the playoffs.

Money isn't the answer. Spending money wisely is the only way. Develop players, sign them when they have proven they can play, fill a need with a free agent. (A formula the Angels, Marlins used well to win the WS)

MrKinsella
10-29-2004, 03:50 AM
Positive signs:
1) KW's comments about financial restrictions re:Beltran. Of course, IIRC this was back when he was rumored to cost near $20mil and before the rumored $15mil price tag and move away from Boras came out.
I am a little confused by this statement about Beltran Moving away from Boras, who is still his agent according to ESPN.com's article today.

Not trying to be an editor just checking what you mean.

Probably not any Beltrans coming here but I hope The Big Unit and Carlos Delgado are.

hitlesswonder
10-29-2004, 04:04 AM
My guess is it might go up a couple of million, but it won't be more than 68 million or so. The tribune says (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041028sox,1,5230516.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) it stays the same, at 65 million. I think any major FA signing or salary acquisition will be accompanied by a trade of Carlos Lee to dump salary.

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM

" Hmmmm. New Yacht .....or World Series Championship. You know Hangar,
I know I said Id trade all my Bulls Championships, but you know I was just kidding right? Besides, ive had my eye on this beautiful 60 footer out
in Wilmette the other day. 3 Jacuzzis and 2 wet bars!! Cmon Hangar, you gotta side with me on this one man!

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 10:35 AM

(under his breath) "The day I raise payroll to 90 Million is the day
I'll put my foot so far.....Oh oh ummmm, hi, was I thinking out loud?"

Flight #24
10-29-2004, 10:51 AM
I am a little confused by this statement about Beltran Moving away from Boras, who is still his agent according to ESPN.com's article today.

Not trying to be an editor just checking what you mean.

Probably not any Beltrans coming here but I hope The Big Unit and Carlos Delgado are.
I actually hadn't seen that either, but someone posted it about a week ago that after the WS he was going to switch agents.

JKryl
10-29-2004, 11:09 AM
He's been better lately, but the only way to win today is with $$$. Now I know the Marlins won but in general cash is a key ingredient in a playoff appearance.

Side question....could a payroll increase put us on the maps?

Could we make it on a tight budget?
Open his wallet? Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one.:D:

Hangar18
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Open his wallet? Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one.:D:

" Yeah, that is a good one .........Hah hahah hahahh hahaha hhahaa"

SoxFanTillDeath
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
No, JR doesn't buy yachts, because when he drives, it has more than a %30 chance of hitting something. He only buys things that hit under %27, and with his driving that would mean he ain't getting a yacht.

SOXSINCE'70
10-29-2004, 11:55 AM

"If i've said it once,i've said it a million times.Don't
expect Randy Johnson,Carlos Beltran,et al to
come here.You know my motto:
'You'll get crap and you'll like it.......or else".:angry: :angry: