PDA

View Full Version : Do the White Sox have the "Curse of the Black Sox"? + When they will win the WS?

WhiteSoxFan84
10-28-2004, 01:45 PM
You want to talk about mystique, how about starting the whole curse of the Black Sox? Funny how it happened the same year the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees. I honestly don't believe in curses in sports, but I do believe in horrible management and real bad owners. Whether those are to blame for the White Sox lack of success or not, I do not know, but I know one thing; we need a damn title and we need it SOON.

Would you want the national media to brand the ChiSox cursed and use the "Curse of the Black Sox"?

I think the Sox will win the World Series in 2008, I don't know why, I just like the number 8 lol. Even if they get the Big Unit this upcoming year, they're lineup is nowhere near consistent unless they bring in some new players.

Finishing up, when do you think they will win it all? And if you want, tell us what year you picked and why.

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
It's time to start consolidating "curse" threads.

Tekijawa
10-28-2004, 01:48 PM
It's time to start consolidating "curse" threads.Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

jlh0023
10-28-2004, 01:50 PM
if i start hearing curse rumors about the sox, i would feel ashamed to be associated with the title 'sox fan'

The Big Squirt
10-28-2004, 01:56 PM
My signature says it all

kittle42
10-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Is it time to start consolidating pointless and redundant polls?

Nick@Nite
10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey BF, I see you changed your sig. Your previous one always gave me a chuckle due to the Hell reference. :D: ...

...the sound of one hand clapping... I like it. :cool:

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey BF, I see you changed your sig. Your previous one always gave me a chuckle due to the Hell reference. :D: ...

...the sound of one hand clapping... I like it. :cool:Thx. It's from a zen buddhist riddle, meant to open one's mind. Buddhists love that kind of gobbledegook. :cool:

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 02:19 PM
if i start hearing curse rumors about the sox, i would feel ashamed to be associated with the title 'sox fan'
likewise.

LVSoxFan
10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Boston showed that it can be done; an object lesson for the Cubs and the Sox.

But Boston also has:

a) Owners who were willing to spend cash and compete with the Yankees, salary-wise
b) The chutzpah to trade Garciaparra, which was the turning point for Boston (see ya, Sammy!)
c) A smart GM who's just barely in his 30s
d) A BIG chip on their shoulder from losing the ALCS last year
e) The chutzpah to fire the manager after they lost the ALCS last year

They made no effort to hide the fact they considered anything less than a World Series an utter failure.

Now let's look at the Sox, sadly.

a) We can't even win our division, much less talk about winning a world series.
b) Not to be too bleak, but the division is the Comedy Central. Minnesota, who left us in the dust and was probably the most feared team this year besides St. Louis... just got smoked by the Yankees
c) Even if we make it out of the Central, we are year-in, year-out cannon fodder for West Coast teams, particulary Oakland and Anaheim.
d) That's not when we're blowing games to lowly opponents who we should be crushing and sweeping, like Detroit

If we had the talent (we don't) and the team ball (we don't) and the ownership (we really don't) of Boston and still couldn't get there, you could talk about "curse." You can't even tell if there's a curse because you can see past JR and his foolishness.

Stuck in the middle wit' you--we're not a Yankee/Boston big-spending team, we're not a middle-market Twins-like team with a great farm system. We're mix-and-match. And it shows. 2008? I doubt it. I think the Cubs will get there before we ever do--especially in light of this Boston thing, which made them look even more absurd for their selfish, whiny, season-ending meltdown.

nasox
10-29-2004, 01:15 AM

It's time to start consolidating N00bs as well.

LAWSfan
10-29-2004, 01:43 AM
You want to talk about mystique, how about starting the whole curse of the Black Sox? Funny how it happened the same year the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees.Not to continue this thread but Ruth was sold to the Yankees in 1920. Sure it was Jan. 3 1920. Sure still 1920.

Our "curse" is having owners who either have no money or are not willing to spend the money they have/make.