PDA

View Full Version : Mike Greenberg insulted Sox fans this morning

Shift
10-28-2004, 01:26 PM
I made the mistake of tuning into "Mike and Mike in the Morning" this morning. The topic, of course, centered on the Red Sox victory last night. The discussion then turned to Chicago. Mike Greenberg said that the fans in Chicago must be feeling especially lonely and pained this morning for obvious reasons. He then clarified, "I'm talking about the Cubs, of course. The White Sox don't count. There is no White Sox Nation."

All on the radio home of our Chicago White Sox. Nice job, Greenie. I'm all too happy to contribute to your failing ratings here.

Anyway...in case you want them:
Jim Pastor, GM WMVP
Len Weiner, PD WMVP 980-1000
mikeandmike@espnradion.com

Al Capone
10-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Considering i dont live in chicago....that is way everyone here in ohio tells me....we dont count because the lovable loosers are always the "team" in chi'town.

Soxzilla
10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Considering i dont live in chicago....that is way everyone here in ohio tells me....we dont count because the lovable loosers are always the "team" in chi'town.

It's because our fans have jobs.

TommyJohn
10-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not surprised. What, White Sox fans don't deserve a title because there are fewer of us than Cub fans? What kinda crap is that? I'd like to have him look at all the Granny and Grandpa Gumjaws who have been following the White Sox since 1925 (those that aren't pissed and bitter at whoever happens to be owning the team at the moment, that is) and tell them that they don't count.

My grandmother was a lifelong White Sox fan. She had just turned 3 years
old the day Zim chased Eddie across the plate and "the showgirls all cried."
She died last year at the age of 89, never getting to see her favorite team win another title. I'd like that asswipe to tell me that she and others like her
"don't count." But what do you expect from an ******* Cub fan? Not much.

Justafan
10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
I heard it and could not believe it.

Ol' No. 2
10-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I made the mistake of tuning into "Mike and Mike in the Morning" this morning. The topic, of course, centered on the Red Sox victory last night. The discussion then turned to Chicago. Mike Greenberg said that the fans in Chicago must be feeling especially lonely and pained this morning for obvious reasons. He then clarified, "I'm talking about the Cubs, of course. The White Sox don't count. There is no White Sox Nation."

All on the radio home of our Chicago White Sox. Nice job, Greenie. I'm all too happy to contribute to your failing ratings here.
I'm SHOCKED!!!!

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 02:28 PM

Anyway...in case you want them:
Jim Pastor, GM WMVP
Len Weiner, PD WMVP 980-1000
mikeandmike@espnradion.com
The media putting down the White Sox? How original.

Dan H
10-28-2004, 02:31 PM
The media putting down the White Sox? How original.Actually he wasn't putting down the White Sox; he was putting down White Sox fans. When it comes down to choosing between the baseball industry or the fans, the media will always side with the industry.

cornball
10-28-2004, 02:32 PM
I heard it and it is the same old thing. No respect.

Rocky Soprano
10-28-2004, 02:35 PM
I had a friend call me this morning to tell me what the moron said. He told me man Im glad you didnt hear it, he's not even a Sox fan and he didnt like the comment.

I would e-mail him and rip him a new one but what is that going to do?

:angry:

BainesHOF
10-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Remember the name Mike Greenberg. Screw him and his station.

balke
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
This just makes me wish the sox had a rival in St. Louis. I know Chicago believes they are the only city in Illinois, but actually there's a whole state outside of the city. Because of the intermixing between Cards fans and Cubs fans dribbling down between the two cities, there is a lot more pride and flag waving to prove superiority between the two. Here in Spfld, it's mostly Cards fans, and a lot of ignorant Cubs fans. It's about 50/50, w/ all the flip-flopping. But it never fails that someone will support either team based on what year it is. That drips all the way into Kentucky, where both caps must fly, because there is always some dumb Cubs fan who has to be the bad guy in Cardinal country. Politicians often stick to the Cubs when they make appearances to win over those morons, because it's more of illinois' team than St. Louis' Cardinals.

IF the Twins were the ST. Louis Twins or something, then I think we'd see a lot more Rivalry, flag waving, and pumped up games at the Cell. There is a dwindling fan base for the Sox. We have little to defend, other than the 6 cubs games a year. it's pretty unfortunate for us. The only way we'll get bandwagon folks is if we start competing with the Yankees every year. And that would cost 100 million dollars or more we don't have. That's the way I see it anyhow.

mweflen
10-28-2004, 03:11 PM
We used to have a geographically close regional rival. They were called the Brewers, and it was good.

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 03:13 PM

You would most certainly shatter the laws of physics if you could achieve the latter by doing the former. Keep us posted!

oneil78
10-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I hate the Brewers.

TommyJohn
10-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I had a friend call me this morning to tell me what the moron said. He told me man Im glad you didnt hear it, he's not even a Sox fan and he didnt like the comment.

Exactly. He'll just laugh at us, anyway. 'Taint worth it.

Nick@Nite
10-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Wow... White Sox fans don't count? Even if Greenberg is a Cubs fan from Chicago, his statement is incredibly bush. :mad:

SaltyPretzel
10-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I hate the Brewers.
That's why it was great to have them an hour and a half away and in our division.

wdelaney72
10-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Greenberg is from Chicago and is a Cub fan. So I'm not surprised.
Factually speaking, Greenberg went to Northwestern and spent some years covering the Bulls and other Chicago sports teams. He's actually from NYC.

Still, it was an ignorant comment, a load of crap.

Irishsox1
10-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Greenberg covered the Sox. He usually speaks positivly about the White Sox, but lets face the facts, the Cubs have a national appeal, the White Sox don't. The Yankees have a national appeal, the Mets don't. So what....the Marlins don't have fans in Miami and they have 2 world series titles. As soon as the White Sox win a world series, they will be the talk of ESPN and all that crap.

Al Capone
10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
The cubs are use to loosing or choking....what the hell would thier fans do if they won a series!

Jerome
10-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Well what the hell am I supposed to do? Theres no way I can listen to Mike North in the Morning! Now I have to Boycott Mike and Mike!?

SoxFanTillDeath
10-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Well what the hell am I supposed to do? Theres no way I can listen to Mike North in the Morning! Now I have to Boycott Mike and Mike!?

That's a load of crap. You don't boycott anything, because that won't do anything. If it truly ticks you off that much, than email him and then get over it.

The comment was stupid, but it's not like we're not used to comments like that from the media. Until we earn ourselves some credibility by making the postseason and actually doing something in it, we're gonna be stuck listening to the same garbage every day.

What do you expect from a radio station that will do anything for ratings? They're not going to side with the unpopular team, so we get shunned. Get used to it if you aren't already.

I_Liked_Manuel
10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
why do so many on here get their panties in a wad anytime somebody says something harmless against the white sox or their fans? get over it

SoxFan78
10-28-2004, 04:53 PM
why do so many on here get their panties in a wad anytime somebody says something harmless against the white sox or their fans? get over itThis is exactly what Greeny was talking about. He thinks nobody is passionate about the White Sox, that their fans don't matter.

Thanks for proving his point.

Foulke You
10-28-2004, 05:19 PM
why do so many on here get their panties in a wad anytime somebody says something harmless against the white sox or their fans? get over it"I'm talking about the Cubs, of course. The White Sox don't count. There is no White Sox Nation."

-Mike Greenberg

How can you possibly say this comment is harmless? This comment was said on the air to thousands of listeners both on radio and those out of state who listen to ESPN 1000 on the internet. It continues in the familiar constant bashing of the White Sox as a whole. From the ballpark, to Frank Thomas, to the fans themselves. We should just laugh and say, "Oh that Mikey Greenberg" What a zany, crazy guy! He shouldn't say things like that but I'm just so happy that I don't care about being insulted. Gimme a break!!

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 05:20 PM
This is nothing short of war. It's not just Greenberg, but the whole #$%*& attitude about the Flubs and us! We need to get the word out about Sox culture vs. Flub culture....

US-many, many Softball fields (over 100) in Chicago area maintained for kids by the Sox. With small, tasteful signs with the Sox logo
Them-a handful (dozen, if that many) of softball fields where yuppies play after work with a huge Cubs sign in case you wonder where the field came from.

US-Active servicemen in uniform given free admission to Sox games in 2004. Only MLB team to do so.
Them-see above.

US-provided equipment and our coaching staff to little leaguers in Utica, Illinois after fields and equipment were destroyed by tornado in 2004.
Them-"Where's Utica? How many blocks from Sluggers?"

US-Only MLB organization which works with children with disabilities who want to play baseball.
Them-Only MLB organization which works with "professional" Right Fielders who have severe emotional disorders.

US-Fan base who can name 90% of the roster players without prompting.
Them-Fan base that can name 90% of the beers on tap up and down Clark Street.

US-Stadium that is designed for kids and is being updated this off season to be even more fun for kids.
Them-Take kids to the Urinal at their own peril.

US-Patient people who blame human beings for the team's failure(s) who are actually in position to change things.
Them-Blame dead goats, foul balls and media commentators for failures.

What have I left out?

jdm2662
10-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Do what I do, don't listen to any sports talk radio. It's all the same BS to cause stir and get ratings. Since the ratings for both stations blow chunks, that should tell you what people think of the two "sports" stations. Until Les gets a show, it will be music, WBBM for their traffic report so I know which way to take home from the boats in Gary, and no radio period. I'm going back to nights anyway starting next week, so I my finger won't accidently hit the dial for 670 or 1000.
________
Vaporizer Shop (http://www.vaporshop.com/)

Over By There
10-28-2004, 05:39 PM
This is nothing short of war.
:rolleyes:
I think we're all feeling a lot of emotion today because the Red Sox are getting a ton of attention, and the Cubs have been brought up a lot. We all would like to win a World Series and we all want respect. But seriously, get a grip. I'm usually not a stickler about war analogies, but come on.

Newsflash: the world doesn't give the White Sox and their fans the respect they deserve. Let's just take a deep breath here, folks.

kittle42
10-28-2004, 05:40 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scorecard/10/27/fans.suffering/index.html

Enjoy.

Brian26
10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
"I'm talking about the Cubs, of course. The White Sox don't count. There is no White Sox Nation."

-Mike Greenberg

I remember quite vividly Mike Greenberg riding the White Sox train in the Summer of 2000. They actually played that song that was popular at the time, and Greenie would give Golic grief because Golic is an Indians fan. So, is this a case of a hop-on-the-bandwagon Sox-hater? Did Greenie have a change of heart over the past 4 years? Was he just on the Sox bandwagon in 2000?

IlliniSox
10-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Dear Mike Greenberg,
Before you belittle White Sox Fans once again as you did this morning, please visit www.flyingsock.com (http://www.flyingsock.com/), home to thousands of baseball fans every bit as Loyal and Knowledgeable as the much-heralded and overhyped Red Sox Nation and infinitely more beaten down and sullied than the fans of Chicago's other team. Ask a Cubs fan to locate a similar gathering place where countless intelligent fans from all over the world meet to discuss their club, they will not have an answer for you.

White Sox fans don't count? If by that statement you believe that it isn't cosmopolitan to be a Chicago White Sox Fan, then many would agree with you.

But if you truly believe their aren't any of us out there, then I might suggest you quit wasting your valuable time, squeezing in your promos during our telecasts 18 times a game, as we nobodies will be sure to change the channel when we hear them.

Patrick Scahill
Chicago, IL

Foulke29
10-28-2004, 06:09 PM
I'll keep this short. I am very disappointed in the comment made by mike greenberg this morning in regard to white sox fans not counting and there being no white sox nation - just a last straw to me.

how can he make such a comment while white sox fans watch one of their own - keith foulke - close out the world series?

i am genuinely interested in checking into the price of xm radio to listen to my white sox games.

Palehose13
10-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Dear Mike Greenberg,
Before you belittle White Sox Fans once again as you did this morning, please visit www.flyingsock.com (http://www.flyingsock.com/), home to thousands of baseball fans every bit as Loyal and Knowledgeable as the much-heralded and overhyped Red Sox Nation and infinitely more beaten down and sullied than the fans of Chicago's other team. Ask a Cubs fan to locate a similar gathering place where countless intelligent fans from all over the world meet to discuss their club, they will not have an answer for you.

White Sox fans don't count? If by that statement you believe that it isn't cosmopolitan to be a Chicago White Sox Fan, then many would agree with you.

But if you truly believe their aren't any of us out there, then I might suggest you quit wasting your valuable time, squeezing in your promos during our telecasts 18 times a game, as we nobodies will be sure to change the channel when we hear them.

Patrick Scahill
Chicago, IL
That is exactly what I was thiking.

Foulke29
10-28-2004, 06:19 PM

Enjoy.
Posted the following in response:

White Sox fans have suffered a drought of 87 years and counting. However, White Sox fans do not have owners willing to dip into their large pockets in the way that Henry or King George or the Chicago Tribune has done. Instead we have to pray for luck in regard to banged up veterans believed to be washed up by every other team in baseball actually doing something. The last major superstar free agent that the Chicago White Sox signed was Albert Belle (instead of Barry Bonds) nearly ten years ago. In addition, we've watched our owner pass up Roger Clemens to sign the likes of Jamie Navarro and trade Keith Foulke for a washed-up Billy Koch. However, I believe the most telling fact is that the White Sox have appeared in exactly 2 World Series since their last WS victory. 1919 - which they threw and 1959 (though Reinsdorf did significantly help force a lockout/strike when his team held the best record in the league in 1994). To continue to be a fan after all that is a true sign of being a Die Hard Fan - Bruce Willis Style!

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Posted the following in response:

White Sox fans have suffered a drought of 87 years and counting. However, White Sox fans do not have owners willing to dip into their large pockets in the way that Henry or King George or the Chicago Tribune has done. Instead we have to pray for luck in regard to banged up veterans believed to be washed up by every other team in baseball actually doing something. The last major superstar free agent that the Chicago White Sox signed was Albert Belle (instead of Barry Bonds) nearly ten years ago. In addition, we've watched our owner pass up Roger Clemens to sign the likes of Jamie Navarro and trade Keith Foulke for a washed-up Billy Koch. However, I believe the most telling fact is that the White Sox have appeared in exactly 2 World Series since their last WS victory. 1919 - which they threw and 1959 (though Reinsdorf did significantly help force a lockout/strike when his team held the best record in the league in 1994). To continue to be a fan after all that is a true sign of being a Die Hard Fan - Bruce Willis Style!You forgot to add we have to put up with Flub fans.

Foulke29
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
You forgot to add we have to put up with Flub fans.
Yes, but that's the trade off of being so wonderfully entertained at all the choking those Cubs have done in recent years - my hero is still Bartman.

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Yes, but that's the trade off of being so wonderfully entertained at all the choking those Cubs have done in recent years - my hero is still Bartman.You have a point Foulke and I agree. But, I am just sick and tired of it now and would not miss them if they outsourced the team and its fan base to Banglore, India.

Talking with Flub fans is so different from talking with fans of other MLB teams, even the Twins. After all, the other teams' fans don't start off with personal attacks on our ballpark and downplay the sleazy nature of their top "superstar." Maybe if the Flub fans stop insisting that their team is THE identity of the city, I could stomach them. This city is big enough for both teams to be part of the identity: Sox fans-really cool people to spend time with; Flub fans-Whack jobs extraordinaire. Plenty for both!

Hank Kimball
10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
I hate the Brewers.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hank

Wsoxmike59
10-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Enjoy.

I sent this note off to SI

If you want to talk about long suffering fans, you need to look no further to the southside of Chicago where a team called the White Sox reside and play.

This team has been the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball since the Cubs took over the city in 1969! Sox fans have waiting patiently for another trip to the fall classic since their last Pennant in 1959, all the while having had to endure all the lovable loser crap and talk of curses from Billy Goats to Steve Bartman on the other side of town.

You want to talk cursed? How 'bout the White Sox franchise for throwing the "Holy Grail" of all sporting events, the World Series! Any Sox fan worth his salt will tell you it's Buck Weaver and not Shoeless Joe who should be reinstated. It's still up for debate about the guilt or innocence of Shoeless Joe, BUT BUCK WEAVER NEVER TOOK A DIME OF THE GAMBLERS MONEY AND GAVE 110% IN THE SERIES!

While I'm not one for believing in curses and hexes the media seems intent on totally ignoring the long suffering White Sox fans all the while heaping Cubbie love upon the nation, column after stomach wretching column.

But if any team could make a case for a curse, it would have to be the White Sox.
*The Red Sox curse of the Bambino, pulleez, they just sold the top player in the game, that's no crime.
*The Cubs?? Just because a stupid stinkin' billy goat isn't allowed into Wrigley for a World Series game?? No way is that cause to incur the wrath of the baseeball gods......

But throwing the fall classic, that would be a good reason to tick off the gods.

In closing, I think the Sox would have to place 2nd on your list, right behind our neighbors to the north...the Cubs.

I_Liked_Manuel
10-28-2004, 08:46 PM
This is exactly what Greeny was talking about. He thinks nobody is passionate about the White Sox, that their fans don't matter.

Thanks for proving his point.

let's think about this-

are there passionate white sox fans? yes.

are there as many passionate white sox fans as cub, red sox, yankees, etc....? no.

do we historically show up to the park very well? no, we show up when they're winning and on half price nights.

do we have national appeal? no.

i'm just having a hard time understanding why everytime somebody says something remotely negative about white sox fans, it gets posted on here and everybody gets in an uproar. if white sox fans continue to act this way, we're going to be known as a bunch of whiners.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Here's mine:

"I was born in Chicago and have been a White Sox fan for 44 years. Let's see...the Sox haven't won a title since 1917. They have only been to two World Series in 87 years and none since 1959. They haven't won a home post season game since game #1 of the 59 series and have lost nine straight since then. Finally they are one of four current teams in MLB to have NOT won a post season series of ANY kind since 1918.(The others are Texas, Colorado and Tampa Bay)Yet the national media continues to ignore the fans who have waited DECADES for a winner. Nice job guys!"

Lip

bigfoot
10-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Could Greenberg be auditioning for the WGN play-by-play announcer opening? Since he's obviously under contract by ESPN, and the Evil Empire will not contact those they are interested in filling the postion. The Flubs are waiting to be called by people interested in Chimp Caray's spot. Greenie and Stoney(if Stone comes back). Won't Stoney love breaking in another idiot?!

hsnterprize
10-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Even though Chicago is more than well known for its Cubs, the Chicago White Sox have very passionate, die-hard fans. In spite of whatever media-laced hype you hear, the White Sox fans have not only suffered an 87-year-drought without a World Series win, but we've also suffered for being not-as-popular as the Cubs fans who frequently flock to Wrigley Field without question. Granted, there are die-hard Cubs fans who go to Wrigley, and have followed their team for generations. However, there are tons of people who often go to Wrigley for the "show of it", meaning they're there because of the ballpark, the trendy neighborhood the stadium's in, and the status of going to Wrigley. We White Sox fans actually love our team, but hate the team's management. Unlike our "neighbors to the north", Sox fans don't blame out team's futility on "goats", "curses", "hexes", and other "bump-in-the-night" phenomenon that takes the proper blame away from poor on-the-field play and bad on/off field management.

And unlike those who flock to Wrigley every day and night, we Sox fans have the moxy to tell our team's management "either show us you're willing to put a winning team on the field, or we're not going to put our money in your pockets." That's why you see many Sox games with empty seats in them. We don't go to U.S. Cellular Field just because it's U.S. Cellular Field...we go to U.S. Cellular Field because we love our White Sox. It's not "fickle" as some may perceive, but an incentive for the higher-ups with the team that we do want to see the White Sox win, but if you (the management) aren't willing to put in the effort to put a legitimate contender on the field, why should we waste our time? We work during the day, and we don't have the willingness or affluence to cut work every afternoon unlike those who often take advantage of the "1:20 Businessman's Special" at 1060 West Addison Street.

I understand the Cubs have the longest futility streak in baseball. But even when the Red Sox were allegedly "cursed", the White Sox, not the Red Sox, had the 2nd longest. And now that the Red Sox have finally won a World Series, all eyes are on Chicago...that is, the Chicago CUBS. It's time to take off your Cubbie-blue glasses, and look towards the south side of Chicago. You'll see White Sox fans who want our team to win just like other team's fans. You just won't hear us blame a dead goat when our team doesn't make it to the post-season.

Does that about tell the story just right?

Jerko
10-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Us: Don't count

Them: Can't count

mdep524
10-28-2004, 10:19 PM
My respose:

The White Sox trump any team in all of major league baseball when it comes to futility. Sure, the Cubs championship-less streak is 9 years longer (when its 96 to 87, what difference does 9 years really make?), but the Cubs are CELEBRATED by yuppies, casual fans, frat boys, sorority girls, bandwagon-jumpers and the national media. Losing, along with their old ballpark, has done wonders for them- it's EASY to be a Cubs fan! What do the White Sox have to show for their near century of losing? We have so little media attention, even in our own city, that you would never know that Sox fans are among the most intelligent, passionate, and loyal in all of pro sports. Sox fans are not swayed by trendiness or popularity, we are steadfast in our support for the Sox, despite the utter lack of respect and results we get. That's devotion.

Magglios_Girl
10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Does that about tell the story just right? Good job, HSN :D:

Us: Don't count

Them: Can't count :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

kittle42
10-29-2004, 12:18 AM
how can he make such a comment while white sox fans watch one of their own - keith foulke - close out the world series?
One of their own? Puh-leeze. This isn't the dawn of free agency or anything.

ewokpelts
10-29-2004, 12:28 AM
This is nothing short of war. It's not just Greenberg, but the whole #$%*& attitude about the Flubs and us! We need to get the word out about Sox culture vs. Flub culture....

US-many, many Softball fields (over 100) in Chicago area maintained for kids by the Sox. With small, tasteful signs with the Sox logo
Them-a handful (dozen, if that many) of softball fields where yuppies play after work with a huge Cubs sign in case you wonder where the field came from.

US-Active servicemen in uniform given free admission to Sox games in 2004. Only MLB team to do so.
Them-see above.

US-provided equipment and our coaching staff to little leaguers in Utica, Illinois after fields and equipment were destroyed by tornado in 2004.
Them-"Where's Utica? How many blocks from Sluggers?"

US-Only MLB organization which works with children with disabilities who want to play baseball.
Them-Only MLB organization which works with "professional" Right Fielders who have severe emotional disorders.

US-Fan base who can name 90% of the roster players without prompting.
Them-Fan base that can name 90% of the beers on tap up and down Clark Street.

US-Stadium that is designed for kids and is being updated this off season to be even more fun for kids.
Them-Take kids to the Urinal at their own peril.

US-Patient people who blame human beings for the team's failure(s) who are actually in position to change things.
Them-Blame dead goats, foul balls and media commentators for failures.

What have I left out?To Be fair, the padres cant offer free tix to servicemen, since they have a large percentage of thier population living on navy/marine bases in the area. They do, however, offer discounts on individual tix, and offer season ticket packages at a discount for active and retired servicemen.
Gene

nasox
10-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Yawn.

We've heard it before, and we'll hear it again. W/E

hold2dibber
10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Greenberg's remark was very stupid - but I think Sox fans shoot themselves in the foot by reacting too angrily to these types of media slams; it just reinforces the stereo type of Sox fans as trigger-tempered malcontents. I think the better approach is to point out in a more light-hearted way the stupidity or offensiveness of the comment. Here's what I wrote in an e-mail to the show:

Greenie may be right that there's no such thing as a White Sox Nation - we're more like a small, cranky state - like Quebec, maybe. (Of course, there's really no Cubs Nation either. There's a Cult of Wrigley Field, but that's not the same. Ask a "Cubs fan" who's playing 2nd base and the answer will either be "Where's the beer guy?" or "Did you see that hot chick over there?") But that doesn't mean we don't count (as Greenie said) - hell, when you're talking about suffering and pain, we leave Red Sox fans and "Cubs fans" in the dust. We never, ever, ever win, either. But we do it without fanfare, sympathy or even recognition. We suffer in silence, anonymously. Not only do we not get sympathy or recognition for our suffering, we get back-handed by doofy (doofussy?) media types on a regular basis (and not just Greenie - I could send you a list). So when it comes to suffering, Greenie is absolutely wrong - we "win" running away. It's not even remotely close.

TDog
10-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Someone in Oklahoma told me the same thing -- in 1972.

Orta 4-6-3
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Greenie may be right that there's no such thing as a White Sox Nation - we're more like a small, cranky state - like Quebec, maybe

"White Sox Province". I like it!

kitekrazy
10-30-2004, 03:24 PM
The Cub Nation came about by being televised on a super station while the Sox got their identity being on Sportvision. (?) This past season the Sox were on 4 different channels. What confusion.
The last strike screwed the Sox out of national recognition. Who's behind all this? J-E-R-R-Y R-E-I-N-S-D-O-R-F.

A BIG NAME free agent always puts your team on the map. Could the Sox have made their money back by having Alex Rodriguez on the team? I think so.

What if the Sox could've wooed Greg Maddux to the Cell? Look at the revenue from that alone. People would come to see what could be the last 300 game winner. Also to have Maddux do it in a Sox uniform would be the ultimate insult to the enemies in the North.

I'm actually quite glad the Cubs are getting all this attention. It's all been NEGATIVE. Blaming a fan for losing and crying about Steve Stone, they have to be the most embarassing franchise in sports history. Once Stoney finds something else I don't expect him to be professional when the Cubs come up. (maybe he should write a book: Loveable Losers? No. Just Losers)

Why don't fans show up at the Cell? It's understandable. How many times can you read the same book or watch the same movie when you always know the ending.

MiamiSpartan
10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
I heard that comment down here, too....I almost tore the radio out of the dash.:angry: Just because we don't blame a stupid curse on our losing ways, we don't get the national press....

Unfortunately we don't have another alternative in Miami. WQAM just sucks.

MrRoboto83
10-30-2004, 10:20 PM
I don't want to be part of a national phenom of idiots, I'm happy being just a lonely pathetic Sox fan in a city that likes fuzzy animals.

If the Sox got national attention like the Bean Flubs and the Flubs then I think I might have to find a new team.

santo=dorf
10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Ken Rosenthal's latest article from the Sporting News: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3116686

Oops, forgot something: Not everyone is smiling. The Cubs (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71602), no world championships since 1908, and White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590), none since 1917, are the sole remaining members of the Cursed Franchise Society.
Hardly anyone cares about the White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590), who possess all the charm of a South Side tenement. But the Cubs (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71602), like the Red Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71588), have a huge national following. They, too, were considered a World Series favorite before succumbing to injuries and expectations.

JUribe1989
10-30-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm up for forming the WhiteSoxNation.com site

MrRoboto83
10-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Ken Rosenthal's latest article from the Sporting News: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3116686

I hope we get our glory soon, only bad thing is after the WS win the Championship all the Flub crap will be out of control even worse

MrRoboto83
10-30-2004, 10:31 PM
great first post!! I'm all with you on this

Jjav829
10-30-2004, 10:37 PM
There already is one. Here's the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/).

1951Campbell
10-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey Greenie,

I've lived in Wisconsin, New Mexico, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania, but I haven't lived in Illinois for one ****in' day of my life. But I love the White Sox, do or die. But gee, I've never blown a .32 vomited on Waveland or Landsdowne, so I guess I'm just not into "storied" franchises.

*******. Whose nuts are on your chin? The Billy Goat's or Dan Shaunessy's?

JUribe1989
10-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Coudn't have said it better. Corked bats, stolen hats since 1908

Wsoxmike59
10-31-2004, 04:08 PM
There already is one. Here's the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/).http://www.geocities.com/thak98/thinking.jpg

COMIC BOOK GUYS SAYS: BEST NATION....EVER!