PDA

View Full Version : Larussa a lousy manager

ondafarm
10-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Well, after blowing another World Series appearance, I belive there is little doubt that Tony Larussa will be classed as a lousy manager. 4 WS appearances, 1 ring. Too bad the White Sox can't afford him.

jshanahanjr
10-28-2004, 11:30 AM
I don't know what he could do without any hitting? The Cards looked similar to our Sox when the offense isn't clicking.

JB98
10-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, after blowing another World Series appearance, I belive there is little doubt that Tony Larussa will be classed as a lousy manager. 4 WS appearances, 1 ring. Too bad the White Sox can't afford him.
I totally disagree. The Cardinals just got outplayed. They didn't lose because of any decisions LaRussa made.

I'd be more inclined to give Boston credit than to point the finger at the Cardinals and call them chokers. The Red Sox won eight straight games against New York and St. Louis, which were the two best teams in the regular season. That speaks to how well Boston played.

kittle42
10-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Boy, I guess Marv Levy and Bobby Cox must be REALLY terrible.

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I totally disagree. The Cardinals just got outplayed. They didn't lose because of any decisions LaRussa made.

I'd be more inclined to give Boston credit than to point the finger at the Cardinals and call them chokers. The Red Sox won eight straight games against New York and St. Louis, which were the two best teams in the regular season. That speaks to how well Boston played. I really think coming in as the wildcard team once again helped the Champions - what is that, 3 years in a row now? The Cards wrapped up the division in August, basically - very similar to the Sox in 2000 - and looked like the Sox(in the '00 ALDS) in this World Series.

Brian26
10-28-2004, 12:07 PM

LaRussa is one of the greatest managers the game has ever seen. Boston was the better team this week. The Cards pitching fell short and their offense went into hibernation. That's not Tony's fault.

ondafarm
10-28-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't know what he could do without any hitting? The Cards looked similar to our Sox when the offense isn't clicking.
When you are not hitting, you manufacture runs, that takes teamwork and that starts with the manager.

Jerko
10-28-2004, 12:09 PM
The way the Red Sox ended the year, they could play every day until Christmas and probably not lose 4 games the entire time.

Brian26
10-28-2004, 12:10 PM
LaRussa is one of the greatest managers the game has ever seen. Boston was the better team this week. The Cards pitching fell short and their offense went into hibernation. That's not Tony's fault.

Let me just add this:

I think it is a greater accomplishment, for a manager, to make the World Series 4 times and only win once as opposed to only making it once and winning.

The same applies for Bobby Cox. Are you going to call him a terrible manager because he's won 13 straight division titles but only won the World Series once? Winning 13 titles over the long-haul is the true testament of a great manager. Once a team makes the post season, luck and momentum play a huge role, and the best team doesn't *always* win.

ondafarm
10-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I watched him get cold outmanaged by Tommy Lasorda in the Dodgers-A's WS. LaRussa is as bad as Al Lopez.

Brian26
10-28-2004, 12:12 PM
I watched him get cold outmanaged by Tommy Lasorda in the Dodgers-A's WS. LaRussa is as bad as Al Lopez.

If he got outmanaged once by Tommy Lasorda, that still doesn't prove that he is a lousy manager.

balke
10-28-2004, 12:51 PM
There was terrible baserunning all WS. THat didn't start with Larussa, that started with dumb moves by people who have played baseball thier whole lives. Boston pitching flat out beat Cards hitting. They tried manufacturing runs, and it didn't work. There were several times they bunted the runners over to third, or got the ground out to put a runner in scoring position. Did you even watch the world series?

La Russa is the reason they even got to that point. His coaching won Game 7 v. Houston IMO. 3-4-5 had 2 hits all World Series. Coach that.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 01:02 PM
If he got outmanaged once by Tommy Lasorda, that still doesn't prove that he is a lousy manager.
Agreed. Tommy Lasorda was a great manager. A lot of people have been outmanaged by him at one time or another.

doublem23
10-28-2004, 01:06 PM
I really think Tony LaRussa should have called a different play in Game 3 when Jeff Suppan got doubled up at third. That was pretty crappy managing. :rolleyes:

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 02:26 PM
He's a great manager, I'd kill to have him.

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
He's a great manager, I'd kill to have him. You know what sucks? I literally JUST realized that there is no eff-ing WAY we are EVER going to win/get to a world series with Ozzie Guillen as our manager. Man, that's depressing. :(:

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 04:31 PM
You know what sucks? I literally JUST realized that there is no eff-ing WAY we are EVER going to win/get to a world series with Ozzie Guillen as our manager. Man, that's depressing. :(:
aw, man, now i'm feelin all guilty.

JB98
10-29-2004, 01:07 AM
When you are not hitting, you manufacture runs, that takes teamwork and that starts with the manager.
Baloney. The other night, Pedro retired 13 or 14 hitters in a row. The Cardinals didn't have a man reach base for about five straight innings. Good luck manufacturing a run when there's nobody on base. A couple of times, LaRussa tried to manufacture something with a hit-and-run, and it backfired on him. In fact, in Game 2, it backfired on him twice in the same inning. First, Sanders missed second base and failed to take third on a single by Womack. Then, Matheny hit a screaming line drive that turned into an unassisted double play. There's nothing a manager can do when players don't produce and don't execute and breaks go against you. Rolen and Edmonds went a combined 1-for-30 in this series. No manager is going to be able to win a series when he gets so little from his #4 and #5 hitters.

Incidentally, all you small-ball freaks take note: Boston won the World Series despite their inability to lay down sacrifice bunts. I don't ever want to hear anymore crap about how "small ball" wins championships. If you get great pitching and timely hitting, you can win with any style of offense you choose to play.

FarWestChicago
10-29-2004, 01:15 AM
If you get great pitching and timely hitting, you can win with any style of offense you choose to play.It also helps if the other team completely lays down for you.

kittle42
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Incidentally, all you small-ball freaks take note: Boston won the World Series despite their inability to lay down sacrifice bunts. I don't ever want to hear anymore crap about how "small ball" wins championships. If you get great pitching and timely hitting, you can win with any style of offense you choose to play.
I was shocked when I heard from Jon Miller on the radio broadcast during the ALCS that Johnny Damon - the freakin' lead-off hitter - had (I can't remember exactly) either zero or one sacrifice bunt(s) all season, and that Derek Jeter had more than the entire Red Sox team.