PDA

View Full Version : Corwin malone

stefaninsane
10-10-2001, 05:44 PM
Is anyone subscribed to Espn.com ? Just curious to hear what John Sickels wrote about Corwin malone a few days ago.

Daver
10-10-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
Is anyone subscribed to Espn.com ? Just curious to hear what John Sickels wrote about Corwin malone a few days ago.

The fact that ESPN is trying to get money for online use makes me sick,It reminds of what Disney.com did earlier this year.

KempersRS
10-10-2001, 10:43 PM
If anyone is subscribed with ESPN.com, don't post, becasue it is shameful. Why would anyone pay money just to get a few extra tidbits from Gammons and his other Boston buddies? A real joke that they charge money, I agree daver.

OfficerKarkovice
10-10-2001, 11:45 PM
If you want a real and in-depth look at Corwin Malone just ask our very own Randar68. I'm positive that he will be more than able to provide you with all of the information that you were curious about.

doublem23
10-10-2001, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by daver

The fact that ESPN is trying to get money for online use makes me sick,It reminds of what Disney.com did earlier this year.

No offense, but I really wouldn't have pegged you to be a big Disney.com fan there, daver. But ESPN is owned by Disney....

kermittheefrog
10-11-2001, 12:13 AM
I got a free trial :-) Here is the article. What Sickels doesn't say is that I emailed him wondering why Malone wasn't in his group of breakout prospects and he responded saying because he's a dumbass sometimes (yeah that's what he actually said) and that he'd do an article on Malone.

Corwin Malone
Chicago White Sox
Position: LHP Height: 6-3 Weight: 200 Born: 7/3/80

Year Team Level G GS IP H R ER BB K W-L ERA SV
1999 AZL White Sox R 10 0 18.0 16 19 16 18 24 0-2 8.00 0
2000 Burlington A 38 1 71.2 67 52 39 60 82 2-3 4.90 0
2001 Kannapolis A 18 18 112.1 83 30 25 44 119 11-4 2.00 0
2001 Winston-Salem A 5 5 36.2 25 10 7 10 38 0-1 1.72 0
2001 Birmingham AA 4 4 19.1 8 5 5 12 20 2-0 2.33 0

A year ago, Malone was a rather anonymous pitcher who had just completed a mediocre season in the Class A Midwest League. I put him in the 2001 Minor League Scouting Notebook only because he had a live arm, with the comment that he was "just a raw thrower at this stage." Now, with the 2001 season behind us, Malone is one of the best lefty pitching prospects in baseball. Who is this guy and how did he improve so rapidly?

First, the background. Malone was drafted in 1999, a ninth-round pick out of high school in Thomasville, Alabama. Scouts liked his fastball, but were concerned about his control troubles and lack of polish. He struggled in rookie ball, then put in a middling season out of the bullpen at Burlington in 2000. I liked the 82 strikeouts in 72 innings, but 60 walks was far too many.

But in 2001 everything changed. Malone was converted to a starting role in spring training, then blitzed the South Atlantic League for Kannapolis in 18 starts, fanning more than a hitter per inning, giving up few hits, and showing improved control. He continued to pitch very well through five starts at Winston-Salem, then won two of four starts after an August promotion to Double-A.

Malone's resume starts with his fastball. He hits 90-92 mph without trouble, and has hit 94 mph on occasion. His heater has movement as well as velocity, and he made great strides with command of the pitch this year. By itself, of course, the fastball is not enough. What made Malone special in '01 was the addition of a strong curveball. He showed some potential with the curve in '00, but this year was the first time he'd been able to throw it for strikes on a remotely consistent basis. He also added a changeup, which still needs work but is promising.

Better control within the strike zone was also a huge factor, as Malone showed much more pitching finesse this year than in his previous pro exposure. Scouts also praise his work ethic and competitive drive; he wants badly to improve, and he is willing to work as hard as necessary in order to do so. Such "intangibles" are impossible to measure with numbers, of course, but few people will show such huge improvement as Malone did this year without a strong work ethic underlying their personality.

What does the future hold? Malone still needs work with his control, as his walk rate in Double-A was too high. A full season in Double-A/Triple-A is advisable, simply to give him time to consolidate the gains he made in 2001. He is only 21, and there is no point in rushing him before he is ready. Another factor that will help him is the fact that he didn't start until this year, which has kept the workload on his arm to a manageable level, hopefully reducing his injury risk at least somewhat.

Overall, I'm optimistic about his chances.

duke of dorwood
10-11-2001, 11:21 AM

Buerhle
Garland
Rausch
Malone
Gurrier
Danny Wrong

:nardi

I cant wait

Daver
10-11-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

No offense, but I really wouldn't have pegged you to be a big Disney.com fan there, daver. But ESPN is owned by Disney....

My 8 and 10 year old kids used to play games on Disney.com,till they changed their site and started charging $29.95 a year for access to what was free before.I have since found several other sites for my kids to play games on that cost nothing.

Iguana775
10-11-2001, 05:59 PM

My 8 and 10 year old kids used to play games on Disney.com,till they changed their site and started charging $29.95 a year for access to what was free before.I have since found several other sites for my kids to play games on that cost nothing.

damn greedy bastards!!!!!! lol :):)

doublem23
10-11-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

damn greedy bastards!!!!!! lol :):)

I know! I hate that damn mouse! :)

But seriously, where is everyone coming with this idea that Rauch will be ready at the start of next year (assuming there is baseball)? I would be shocked (and outraged) if we saw Jon Rauch before midseason 2002.

He needs to do some work in AAA before he battles the big boys.

Daver
10-11-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I know! I hate that damn mouse! :)

But seriously, where is everyone coming with this idea that Rauch will be ready at the start of next year (assuming there is baseball)? I would be shocked (and outraged) if we saw Jon Rauch before midseason 2002.

He needs to do some work in AAA before he battles the big boys.

Jack MacDowell and Alex Fernandez spent little,if any,time in AAA.

Jerry_Manuel
10-11-2001, 07:29 PM
Jack MacDowell and Alex Fernandez spent little,if any,time in AAA.

Same for Buehrle.

doublem23
10-11-2001, 07:37 PM
All right, that is tru e (BTW, JM - Buerhle spent no time in AAA). What I probably SHOULD have said is that Rauch needs to do some work at the minor league level before being called up to the show considering he is comig off elbow surgery. I would just assume he'll be in AAA seeing as that's where he was going to be assigned at the start of the 2001 season.

Iguana775
10-11-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Same for Buehrle.

same for me....but then again, i dont play baseball so that might be the reason. :):):):):)

but i do agree with you, double. rauch shouldnt be in the rotation till at least mid season.......unless...and this is a big unless, he has an absolute awesome spring.

stefaninsane
10-11-2001, 09:33 PM
I want to see what a healthy Barcelo can do...his
fastball has zip..

CerberusWG
10-11-2001, 10:32 PM
Barcelo HAD zip, we'll see how he does coming off of surgery.

Daver
10-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
I want to see what a healthy Barcelo can do...his
fastball has zip..

The problem is he has no idea where it is going when he throws it,he would be one pitcher that would benefit from working with Tommy John,he could show him how to control that heater.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Randar68
10-12-2001, 10:39 AM
All right, that is tru e (BTW, JM - Buerhle spent no time in AAA). What I probably SHOULD have said is that Rauch needs to do some work at the minor league level before being called up to the show considering he is comig off elbow surgery. I would just assume he'll be in AAA seeing as that's where he was going to be assigned at the start of the 2001 season

What in GOD's name are you talking about??? Rauch had shoulder surgery similar to Howry and many others, and will have had 10 months of rehab and throwing under his belt by opening day, which is about 3-4 months more than you are cleared for duty. Effectiveness will be a question, but VS saw him throwing in the pen this week, and he will be throwing simulated games in the VERY near future at the Arizona training complex.

Rauch is better now without any experience at the major league level than Danny Wright and Gary Glover. He has much better stuff than either and throws strikes, you figure it out. He will be given every benefit of the doubt over guys like Guerrier, Wright, etc. The Sox want him in the rotation as soon as he can handle it. It would bring people to the park, and based on the success of Oswalt and Sheets, Rauch's Olympic Teammates, I think you can expect some very good results if he is 100% healthy.

Elbow surgery???? Puleaze!

doublem23
10-12-2001, 04:43 PM
Did I write elbow? Damn! Hey, lay off. I'm a senior in high school. I don't have to think any more.

Whatever. While I agree that Rauch is probably better than most of the pitchers on our staff, but I think he needs at least some time in the minors to make sure everything's clicking. After I broke my wrist, they made me do some rehab, but its nothing like playing in the REAL game with REAL game situations.

Randar68
10-12-2001, 06:09 PM
Whatever. While I agree that Rauch is probably better than most of the pitchers on our staff, but I think he needs at least some time in the minors to make sure everything's clicking. After I broke my wrist, they made me do some rehab, but its nothing like playing in the REAL game with REAL game situations

Well, 2 or 3 points here.

1) You never did rehab as a full-time job or have a professional training staff monitoring your every move
2) Players are returning to start their rehab assignments from Tommy John surgery in under 12 months these days, and 3-4 months from minor shoulder surgery.
3)Rauch has already been rehabbing for about 4 months and is already throwing off a mound, you don't think another 4 months of that is going to see him at 100% by the time spring training starts?
4) You are not a professional athelete in exceptional physical condition...

All of these factors make the comparison of the rehab of a broken wrist to minor shoulder surgery complete invalid, as if a broken bone and some lose bodies in the shoulder didn't already present enough of a difference.

I am not saying he will make the rotation, but he will be given the opportunity and he will be back to 100%, barring a set-back, when that opportunity is handed to him. AFter this year's instability, Jerry has already hinted that he would like to have a rotation out of Spring Training that is his rotation for the year...ie, not shuffling Wells, Garland, Glover, Lowe, etc back and forth from the bullpen...

Vsahajpal
10-12-2001, 08:38 PM
Don't slight Matty! That's my boy right there. He's Zito-esque in character. Wild hair, no socks, and a good pitcher

LongDistanceFan
10-12-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Don't slight Matty! That's my boy right there. He's Zito-esque in character. Wild hair, no socks, and a good pitcher pls forgive but matty who?

Jerry_Manuel
10-12-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
pls forgive but matty who?

Matt Guerrier?

LongDistanceFan
10-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Matt Guerrier? i thought that who was being mention. now i feel like an idiot.

Vsahajpal
10-12-2001, 09:34 PM
Yep, Guerrier

doublem23
10-13-2001, 12:36 AM
Randar, while it is true that I am not a pro athlete and I am not in great shape and I did not have state-of-the-art equipment, but my point was that until you get back out there and play you really aren't ready. Weights, simulators, and workouts will only get you so far, but you really have to be out there in game situations or else mentally, you won't be ready.

But let's not fight about this anymore. I want Rauch to be ready as much as anyone, but I do understand that the Sox want to get this guy in the bigs as quickly as possible. Either way, someone will be unhappy with what happens.