PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: White Sox More Cursed Than Cubs?

fquaye149
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
it was bound to be said

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=second/guessing

The fight now for suffering supremacy shifts to Chicago, doesn't it? And forget the Cubs for a minute. I'm thinking of the White Sox. Haven't won the Series since 1917, haven't reached the World Series since 1959. And unlike their slightly yuppier brethren on the North Side, Sox fans, by and large, are working on the deep, common-folk channels of heartache and want-to. The media story has been the Cubs, and the Cubs are, by a wide margin, Chicago's team, but to me, it's the White Sox Nation who ought to become America's team now.

Palehose13
10-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Wow, but keep curses out of it!

And why are we to be "America's team" NOW? IIRC, 1917 is before 1918. Nothing has changed since the Red Sox won. We are still 2nd in being championshiop starved and never get attention. It's been that way for years.

Jerko
10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
THE SOX WENT LONGER THAN BOSTON WITHOUT WINNING THE WS EVEN BEFORE THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do some research ESPN. I know it's all cute curse talk, but the Red Sox have now won TWO World Series' since the White Sox have; how does that keep getting lost amongst these "professionals". :angry: :angry:

Tekijawa
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
America's team? I hope this doesn't mean longer lines for Nachos!

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 11:46 AM
America's Team bah! I don't want to catch anyone else in Canada wearing Sox stuff, because then I'll have to pick an even less popular team to obsess over, to the exclusion of everyone else.

Palehose Pete
10-28-2004, 11:54 AM
The Cubs and Red Sox have somehow found a way to become heroic icons while losing all these years. The White Sox, I'm afraid, will be viewed as pathetic for losing all the time. This is because our fan base has refused to buy into the whole curse thing and we're more than ready to blame management and players for not winning. Don't brace yourself for becoming America's team. Also, really, this isn't something that's proclaimed by the media alone but felt by the game's fans, too.

Personally, I would rather continue to toil away in anonymity until we win the damn Series than have this national spotlight shone on our history of losing.

Hangar18
10-28-2004, 11:57 AM
whoah whoah .............. HOLD ON A SECOND!!
ESPN, the official network that prints 3rd hand Propoganda articles from the Cubune, the network that loves the Red Sox and makes no bones about it,
the network that tries hard to make the world love the cubs and red sox by
pushing stereotypes and lies .........

Wrote an Objective, Timely and Truthful Piece? Im stunned.
WOW. Its a pretty good piece too. holy smoke ......... can you believe this?

Nellie_Fox
10-28-2004, 12:20 PM
America's team? I hope this doesn't mean longer lines for Nachos!Forget that. What about the Churros?

MRKARNO
10-28-2004, 02:00 PM
I think this kind of stuff is great to be honest while I dont like the premise that its being written under. As Lip said, any publicity is better than no publicity and now the national media is going to start paying much more attention to the White Sox. All of this I think will further the eventual goal of the White Sox making and winning the world Series, so therefore I think it's great.

balke
10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
This'll fade fast. Every year an east coast team does anything worth merit, they'll remember less and less about the losing ways of the central. 5 years will pass, the White Sox will face the Dodgers in the WS, and you'll still get the back-end section of sportscenter, as they cover Shaq's retirement, and Jeter's mental toughness after being ousted by us in the ALCS.

(Note: stories and years passed may be made up)

FightingBillini
10-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I think this kind of stuff is great to be honest while I dont like the premise that its being written under. As Lip said, any publicity is better than no publicity and now the national media is going to start paying much more attention to the White Sox. All of this I think will further the eventual goal of the White Sox making and winning the world Series, so therefore I think it's great.
I can imagine it now "And the AL team with the longest streak without winning a title, the White Sox, took on..."

EVERY SHOW