PDA

View Full Version : Jaque Jones

PavanoBeltran'05
10-28-2004, 10:05 AM
If the Sox don't go after him, they're crazy. He will make around 6 million, he'd fill that void in right field, he can hit, has a TON of upside, and can field all day long. Plus, he's cheap enough to be extremely serviceable in a lineup that will be built around pitching.

Jjav829
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM
If the Sox don't go after him, they're crazy. He will make around 6 million, he'd fill that void in right field, he can hit, has a TON of upside, and can field all day long. Plus, he's cheap enough to be extremely serviceable in a lineup that will be built around pitching.
I heard Levine talking about this last weekend. He kept saying that the Cubs and Sox will have interest in Jones. I kept asking myself, why the hell would the Twins trade Jacque Jones to the Sox? I'm sure they don't want to help the Sox out at all. Though if he is going to make $6 million, then I might be able to see why they would trade him to the Sox. I don't know that Jones is worth $6 million a year. He had a bad year in 2004, but if he reverts to his previous form, I suppose he'd be a decent replacement for Maggs. I just can't see the Twins trading him to the Sox.

JoseCanseco6969
10-28-2004, 10:13 AM
who is this Jaque Jones? Is he related to that Jose Valentine?

SoxFanTillDeath
10-28-2004, 10:17 AM

I have always loved Jones. Is he a free agent, or would we have to trade for him? There is no way I'm giving MN any of my prospects.

Also, do you think he would fit with this team? Something tells me that he would not fit with the chemistry of this team. I think his skills are worth a look, but if he's gonna be bad for chemistry, then forget it. We've got enough of those players.

Rocky Soprano
10-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Jones is a free agent.

hitlesswonder
10-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Jones is a free agent.Actually, he's not a FA. But he is arbitration eligible and there has been speculation that the Twins may trade him. But that's in doubt now that Kubel went down with a knee injury. If he actually gets 6 million in arbitration, I think that's too much money, not to mention whatever talent the Sox have to give up to get him (it would have to be pitching or Uribe since the Twins have good positional talent outside of SS).

Jones has always had a bad OBP, and has trouble hitting lefties (so he wouldn't help the Sox solve that problem from last year), he had a .254/.315/.742 BA/OBP/OPS last season. His career numbers are better BA-wise, but he's still below an .800 OPS. Bottom-line, I don't think he's worth the cost, plus I just can't see the Sox sitting 4 million dollars of Carl Everett on the bench. The Sox should take whatever money and talent the would use to get Jones and spend it pitching (or a catcher).

soxfan26
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
At anywhere from $5-7m I would personally consider Jones a good replacement for Maggs. It's adds a left handed bat with some speed and above average defense. Too bad we already have a RF who will make $5m next year...

Hangar18
10-28-2004, 12:19 PM
I just can't see the Twins trading him to the Sox.

WHY NOT? the Pirates broke the cardinal rule of inter-divisional trading
back in 2003 by trading 3 players to the cubs (and getting nothing in return)
Oh wait, this wont happen because the Twins are not a DUMB FRANCHISE

ma-gaga
10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
But that's in doubt now that Kubel went down with a knee injury.
If he actually gets 6 million in arbitration, I think that's too much money,
The Twins don't have the budget for J.Jones despite the injury to Kubel. They already have 3 legitimate starting outfielders with S.Stewart, T.Hunter and L.Ford. Kubel was in the mix, but probably to make the team as the 4th outfielder. Restovich probably makes the team next year because he's out of options, and he'll be a perfect fourth outfielder.

Despite that, Jones would be a horrible pickup for the Sox. He makes too much money for his production. He's a nice player for up to $4MM, but anything more is too much to pay him.

:gulp:

Flight #24
10-28-2004, 12:45 PM
He's a nice player for up to $4MM, but anything more is too much to pay him.

:gulp:
Well put magaga

Jaxque's never posted an OPS over .850 or an OBP over .341 and who's never hit more than 27HR (despite playing in the homerdome). Do we really want $6mil in a sub -.800 OPS corner OF who gets on base at an average .330 rate and strikes out 100+times? Yeah, he gets 13 steals, but his 10 CS makes that look a lot worse.

Just say no.

wdelaney72
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I have always loved Jones. Is he a free agent, or would we have to trade for him? There is no way I'm giving MN any of my prospects.
You don't have to worry about us giving MN any prospects. If you look at their farm system, you'll see that they only want players who have the ability to become quality MLB players. Our farm system doesn't have that ability.

jabrch
10-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh wait, this wont happen because the Twins are not a DUMB FRANCHISE
Um - if you recall Hangar, that was a pre-trade deadline deal. When the Pirates were long out of it while your Cubs were still in it. There is a significant difference - no?

Brian26
10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I think Sox fans have an inflated perception of Jones because he always looks like Babe Ruth against us. Maybe adding him to our team gives us 4 or 5 more automatic wins next year against the Twins.

jabrch
10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
RF? Do we really have an opening there? I am thinking we will see a Borchard/Everett platoon there in the second half and Joe playing there full time in the first half. That's not my favorite option in the world, but if it frees up money to be spent on a FA starting pitcher some bullpen help and a FA SS, then I am all for it. I can live with Joe/Carl.

gosox41
10-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Jones isn't worth $6 mill. Why do you want to pay a guy that much who never who has had one year with an OPS over .800 (2002), limited power, and strikes out 100 times a year. 4 of his 6 seasons in the majors he'd had an OBP below the league average. His best OBP season is .341. Add that to his 117 K's last year and his 13/23 success rate in steals and you have the makings of overpaying for mediocrity.

Bob

Evman5
10-28-2004, 01:44 PM
You don't have to worry about us giving MN any prospects. If you look at their farm system, you'll see that they only want players who have the ability to become quality MLB players. Our farm system doesn't have that ability.
Yes but what what we should do is ask Min. what prospects they would want from us. Once we have those players identified we will know which prospects have a place on our team!!!! :smile:

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Oh wait, this wont happen because the Twins are not a DUMB FRANCHISEAnd don't froget in 2002 when the Cubs traded Jeff Fassero to the Cards and Tom Gordon to the Astros. The Brewers also traded Ben Grieve to the Cubs this year.

SSN721
10-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I think it would be a terrible pickup, I have no interest in him personally on this team. His defense woudl be an upgrade, but his hitting isnt anywhere near stellar. We already have nore then enough guys with good defense that cant get on base, certainly dont need to pay another one 6 mil for the same thing.