PDA

View Full Version : 1917

FightingBillini
10-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Its good to see the Red Sox win the world series. Its a strange feeling. The players didnt even celebrate that much on the field. The people in Boston arent looting or rioting yet... it almost feels surreal. Somewhere, Ted Williams' dissembodied frozen head is smiling. :gulp: Someone once told me you wouldnt want to live forever. You would see all your friends and family die. The Red Sox were the last old men alive who would sit on the porch and talk with us (we dont really talk to the other old men). Although I was happy to see the victory, it really got me thinking. Time has passed us by. We are now the uncontested losers of the AL. It makes you think about our past.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

My grandpa was 12 months old the last time a champion was crowned on 35th and Shields. He was a diehard White Sox fan. He spent countless nights at Comiskey Park. Even when he couldnt get friends to go with him he would go by himself. He absolutely loved the game of baseball. As it turns out, his nephew was one of the bat boys for the Sox in 1959, so he got to see the last time we went to the World Series. He died in 1983, 7 months after I was born, and a few days after the Sox clinched the division. I have been the kind of fan that would give anything to see the White Sox win the world series. Its not just for me. Whenever I think about it, I get a little misty eyed. I think about him, how he spent his whole life as a fan and never saw a title. I know that he is still rooting for the Sox up there. The strange thing is, and tell me if you guys feel the same, I almost want the White Sox to win it more for him than for myself. I want the White Sox to win it for Shoeless Joe, Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, Minnie Minoso, Big Klu, Bill Melton, Richie Allen, Harold Baines. I dont know how I would react if we actually won it. It would be unbelievable.

As long as I live I will bleed silver and black (or whatever they change their colors too 15 years from now). We are such a miserable bunch of people on this board. I feel like you guys are a few hundred drinking buddies for me. I found this board a few months ago, but now I cant go a day without reading it. Its good to know that no matter where I am in the world I will have a bunch of people to talk to who hate Reinsdorf as much as I do. Whether its to celebrate big aquisitions or to talk eachother off the ledge, we will always have this board.

We are the charter team in the American League. We have a proud tradition that we can never forget. Teams come and go, but we will always have the memories of going to the park as kids, seeing a big win on a friday night, and winning more games than the Cubs. I hope more than anything that we finally win this thing soon.
Until then, we have eachother.:(:

A.T. Money
10-28-2004, 12:29 AM
I think it's now up to this franchise to get serious about winning.

HITMEN OF 77
10-28-2004, 12:48 AM
I was pulling for Stl all the way and after seeing Jimmy Falon running on the field after the game with the Sox, that was a total turn off. What a freaking joke!Boston now ranks in my teams I hate most with Peattle, NYY and Cubs.

Hosey22
10-28-2004, 02:19 AM
I know exactly what you mean. As much as I myself want to see the White Sox win a World Series, I just want true White Sox fans to see it within their lifetime. My grandfather is always telling me stories about the 1959 Sox. I mean they were his team, Fox, Pierce, Jungle Jim and Al Lopez, they're his Frank, Paulie, Maggs, and ARow. He still follows them now as much as he did then, and I want him to see them win it all while he still can. So many have spent their lifetime waiting, never to see it. There has been a lot of suffering in Boston, but before this year they could at least remember or watch highlights of their club in the world series within the last 20 years. When I see clips of the White Sox in the world series I get goosebumps because it seems surreal, that shouldn't be the case.

stl_sox_fan
10-28-2004, 03:22 PM
I was pulling for Stl all the way and after seeing Jimmy Falon running on the field after the game with the Sox, that was a total turn off. What a freaking joke!Boston now ranks in my teams I hate most with Peattle, NYY and Cubs.
Yeah I could have done without Fallon and his highschool makeout session on the Busch Stadium turf. Ewwwwww!!!!

http://www.papermag.com/magazine/mag_01/mag_nov01/cover/images/jimmy1.jpg

Tekijawa
10-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I want them to win so Hangar can have a weekend off to relax!

As for the Jimmy Falon thing, I'm pretty sure that Kiss was for the movie that he's in that is about him chosing his Girlfriend (played by Drew Barymore, the one he was making out with last night) over the Redsox... I'm guessing by how fast it was taken off the screen that it will be part of the movie...