PDA

View Full Version : Curse publicity or no pub?

MRKARNO
10-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Over the past few years, the White sox have gotten very little publicity. With the WS win of the Red Sox, this makes it increasingly likely that there will be "curse" publicity about the Chicago White Sox. If the choice was between having a lot of "curse" publicity coupled with an overall increase in general publicity vs. having the same level as before without the curse nonesense, which would you take?

mactheknife
10-27-2004, 11:18 PM
who voted yes?

i want a free hit.:angry:

A.T. Money
10-27-2004, 11:19 PM
I would say throwing a World Series and only appearing in one since, only to lose, qualifies as some kind of hex.

The Baseball Gods just don't forgive. The Black Sox tainted the game.

samram
10-27-2004, 11:21 PM
who voted yes?

i want a free hit.:angry:
I voted no curse, but the upside to more publicity would be there would be more pressure on ownership to build a winner. Right now, JR and Co. can fly under the radar with minimal criticism outside of Sox fandom.

mactheknife
10-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I realize that, but there is nothing i hate more about baseball than curse talk. It's a lose-lose...but i'd rather have my pride.

It's chicago...i'm used to not winning things.:rolleyes:

soxnut
10-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I'll take the publicity. This organization needs pressure put on it in order to win.
But as I've stated in a previous post, instead of a curse, I'd rather we be called......THE KINGS OF MEDIOCRITY.:smile: :D: :?: :(:

rwcescato
10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
I would say throwing a World Series and only appearing in one since, only to lose, qualifies as some kind of hex.

The Baseball Gods just don't forgive. The Black Sox tainted the game.
Don't forget about the 94 strike. The year we were suppose to win it all.

Man Soo Lee
10-28-2004, 01:59 AM
As stated in a PHG manifesto (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2466):

You're totally biased Sox Fans because you believe in the cause -- the cause of a baseball championship for Chicago. And you're totally biased Sox Fans because you're too intelligent to think glorifying losing can possibly lead to anything but more losing -- a lesson too many of our neighbors are utterly incapable of understanding.

Over By There
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I know I'm a dreamer, but I'd like to get publicity for being a fanbase that's long-suffering but stoic, skeptical of curses, passionate, down-to-earth and practical. Because that's what we are.

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Forget the curse BS. The Cubs will have that as their own monopoly now. With Boston out of the way, Chicago now has the WS futility spotlight all to itself. It's now a battle between the Cubs and Sox to see which team can win first. The Sox braintrust should start making hay out of this.

"Which Chicago team can overcome a near-century of futility and bring a championship to the long-suffering Chicago fans? Which team will end the Windy City drought? Can the Sox overcome years of mediocrity and do what it takes to win it all...or can the Cubs overcome their own stupid curse and win it all?"

Sure it's a high stakes battle because the Cubs have been deemed by the media to be making more of an effort to win, putting the Sox behind the 8-ball...but maybe that will get JR & company off their sorry asses and finally get serious about spending some dough for a title. Dammit, I don't care about curses. It's the relentless mediocrity of the Sox that pisses me off to no end. :angry:

PorkChopExpress
10-28-2004, 09:29 AM
National publicity about a curse will give die-hard fans a chance to refute any such notion, and show everyone the true nature of White Sox fans. But notice the words I used above - "national publicity"

SoxFanTillDeath
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
To whine about a curse is about as lame as anything I've ever heard. I have always hated this curse talk. Even if there is a curse, it is the player's responsibility to go out and play and win, and the managment's responsibility to put together a team that is capable of winning. If a team does not win then the blame falls on one or both of those parties: You cannot blame some stupid curse for your inability to win a game when it counts.

Flight #24
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
From a practical perspective, more publicity on the team's title drought will create more interest and more pressure on management. Those are all good things. I'd rather get that pub without the idiocy of a curse, but if the choices are curse pub or no pub, I'll go with "pub is better than no pub".

Lip Man 1
10-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Any publicity is better then no publicity

Lip

soxnut
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM

Lip

Absolutley right. I can't believe the mental midgetry that is being displayed here by the fact that 60% want the Sox to keep the same level of publicity. The way it stands right now in the national public--the White Sox don't count---we're nothing. It is important to be recognized....especially by something else other than "fans running onto US Cellular Field...in that dirty neighborhood". Of course, winning would be the ultimate, but that can't be counted on initially. Don't some of you get it?

Unreal.......:mad:

A.T. Money
10-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Absolutley right. I can't believe the mental midgetry that is being displayed here by the fact that 60% want the Sox to keep the same level of publicity. The way it stands right now in the national public--the White Sox don't count---we're nothing. It is important to be recognized....especially by something else other than "fans running onto US Cellular Field...in that dirty neighborhood". Of course, winning would be the ultimate, but that can't be counted on initially. Don't some of you get it?

Unreal.......:mad:
That's why I voted yes.

SOXSINCE'70
10-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Over the past few years, the White sox have gotten very little publicity. With the WS win of the Red Sox, this makes it increasingly likely that there will be "curse" publicity about the Chicago White Sox. If the choice was between having a lot of "curse" publicity coupled with an overall increase in general publicity vs. having the same level as before without the curse nonesense, which would you take?
You might want to read Hal Vickery's column
"Curse The Ineptitude!".True South Siders don't believe
in curses.They'd rather blame cheap management,inept GM's
and teams with no heart.Maybe THAT'S why this damn team
hasn't won anything since 1917.:angry: :angry:

DSpivack
10-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe?

MRKARNO
10-28-2004, 01:02 PM

So instead of just complaing about it, make your opinion clear and set the record straight when you are in a conversation about this issue. Turn the curse publicity into the "we've been used and abused" theme

Uncle_Patrick
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I know I'm a dreamer, but I'd like to get publicity for being a fanbase that's long-suffering but stoic, skeptical of curses, passionate, down-to-earth and practical. Because that's what we are.I with Over By There. If we have to be associated with curse-talk, I'd rather have it be that White Sox fans don't believe in any curse. I get the feeling that some people here would rather embrace the notion of curse just so we'd get more ESPN coverage or something. I'm sure that more talk of a Black Sox curse will come up now, even though we still have to compete the Cubbies and their plethora of curses. Instead of embracing any idea of a curse, like Cubs and Red Sox fans did, why don't we use the publicity we get by showing some intelligence by rejecting any notion of a curse and placing blame exactly where is belongs, on a mediocre franchise with lousy ownership.

I think the idea of promoting a curse will give JR and co. something to hide behind (not that they'd ever come out and say it). "Fans don't really believe that the White Sox will win because they are cursed." I think we should use any additional publicity we get to let the baseball world know that we demand the owners field a worthwhile team and we will not hide behind any myths.

Clarkdog
10-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Lip
Lip is right on here. I voted yes, but not because I have desire to blame a curse for the woes of the White Sox.

With the media sniffing around for the next feel good "underdog" story - the Red Sox winning the Series was the best thing to happen for the White Sox in terms of national publicity. Chicago has now become the epicenter of baseball misery for the world. The Cubs "lovable losing" and thier "curse" have been well documented. But what about the White Sox? That is a question that the media will seek the answer for from the fans- and we as fans of the White Sox all know the answer we'll give them.

The problems of this team have nothing to do with forces beyond it's control. The franchise has never been run right, and probably never will. Sox fans have come to grips with that, and we hold on to that because it's part of who we are.

A metaphore: It's every drivers' dream to drive a Ferrari. The Yankees are a Ferrari.

The White Sox are the Edsel of baseball.

Regardless of the best intentions, we always end up with failure. We curse at the breakdowns and failures and the inability (or ineptitude) of those who drive and make repairs that never seem to get the team to run right. Yet we always climb in for the ride - instead of trading them in for another model - because it's comfortable. And because we have faith that someday with the right repairs and modifications, our Edsel will be good enough to beat the Ferrari.

Who knows, maybe the exposure of the team's mismanagement might create change. I certainly think Sox fans will be seen in different light.

idseer
10-28-2004, 02:12 PM
you know what? the fact is, the sox are the ONLY team that was ever actually cursed as far as i know. so it's kind of ironic we're bitching about cub curses and red sox curses.
luis aparicio actually did curse the sox when he was traded in 1963.