PDA

View Full Version : San Fran to host 2007 All-Star Game

SomebodyToldMe
10-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I didn't see this anywhere but if there is a thread already, feel free to move it.

The Giants will host the 2007 All-Star Game

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-all-stargame2007&prov=ap&type=lgns

A selection:

This will be the first time the All-Star game won't alternate between the American and National leagues. Detroit hosts next summer's game, then Pittsburgh has the 2006 event -- meaning the NL will host two straight games
I don't think that's fair. I like the AL/NL thing...I mean...We have to keep it fair!

Erik The Red
10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't hold your breath waiting for Bud Selig to be involved in something that's fair.

SaltyPretzel
10-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Don't hold your breath waiting for Bud Selig to be involved in something that's fair.
If home field advantage in the World Series is still determined by the winner of the All-Star game, this is B.S. :angry:

RKMeibalane
10-27-2004, 11:27 PM
I didn't see this anywhere but if there is a thread already, feel free to move it.

The Giants will host the 2007 All-Star Game

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-all-stargame2007&prov=ap&type=lgns

A selection:

I don't think that's fair. I like the AL/NL thing...I mean...We have to keep it fair!
Bud Selig is the biggest piece of **** in professional sports. Period.

FightingBillini
10-27-2004, 11:34 PM
:reinsy
"Ummm... HELLO!! You are forgetting that I control Selig!"

Parrothead
10-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Selig is a tool. There are teams that have not hosted the game in at least 25 years and he is giving it to a few teams with new stadiums. What a tool.

bigfoot
10-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Selig is a tool. There are teams that have not hosted the game in at least 25 years and he is giving it to a few teams with new stadiums. What a tool.
Tools are occassionally useful. Bud........., well you know.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Tools are occassionally useful. Bud........., well you know.
Selig is definitely a tool, because he keeps screwing things up.

jackbrohamer
10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Selig is a tool. But the NL has 16 teams, the AL 14 so they had to make up the difference somewhere if they are alternating between NL and AL parks.

SaltyPretzel
10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Selig is a tool. But the NL has 16 teams, the AL 14 so they had to make up the difference somewhere if they are alternating between NL and AL parks.
Well, if the Brewers never moved to the National League...

doublem23
10-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Well, if the Brewers never moved to the National League...
That doesn't work because you can't have 15 teams in each league unless you make interleague play just a common thing, and not a "everybody plays interleague" couple of weeks.

Eh, the only way some of these teams got their towns to pony up the dough for a new stadium was a promise that they would host an All-Star Game. In the end, money always prevails over what is best for the game.

bigfoot
10-28-2004, 10:58 AM
2007 All-Star Game, .......

This Time it Matters, that a Wild Card team can get home-field advantage in the WS? What a load, Bud!
Why play to win in the reg season?

Hangar18
10-28-2004, 11:21 AM
That doesn't work because you can't have 15 teams in each league unless you make interleague play just a common thing, and not a "everybody plays interleague" couple of weeks.

Eh, the only way some of these teams got their towns to pony up the dough for a new stadium was a promise that they would host an All-Star Game. In the end, money always prevails over what is best for the game.
If you remember, there was No Commissioner, and the AL was DUE for the next expansion, but somehow, the AZ Dbacks and Jerry Colangelo decided he wanted to be in the NL instead, which was impossible, because the leagues would be uneven. Of course, The Commissioner would Normally have told the DBacks to STUFF IT, and go where your placed. Instead, the Commish was on the take, and had fantasies of Resurrecting his team as a Milwaukee Braves knock-off, and decided he would martyr his team and ALSO move to the NL. Thats how that nonsense went down.

I remember JackAss Seligs smug quotes in the media after the move was made.

:tool
"Milwaukee has always been a National League Town"

Who does that quote remind you of?

:reinsy
" Why is everyone looking at me?"

Hangar18
10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
You know why hes a freaking piece of *****? Because hes on the Take.
and the times he COULDVE made a decision that would be in the best
interests of baseball ....... HE DOESNT. Hes a Stooge put up there
by a small group led by none other than a certain guy named REIN$DORF.

From calling all-star games in a tie, to changing the process to how the AS Games are awarded (formerly a fair process to each team in an order-now to use as a Tool to reward/appease certain owners) to issueing short sighted edicts like Must-have-stadium-to-survive, to non-issues in labor agreement, to looking the other way with Steroids, to letting teams Blatantly TAMPER with people under contract (cubune), to letting expansion teams decide where THEY want to be placed, this guy is a 1st Class AssClown who
couldnt spell the words Conflict of Interest. I still remember his cryptic
and Yogi Berra-esque excuse as to WHY he was changing the AS Game awarding process. "We have to do what is fair"

:tool
Bud Selig: Ethically Challenged

Brian26
10-28-2004, 01:15 PM

The bigger problem is that there are many more new NL parks than AL parks, so they want to try to showcase the NL parks sooner. Pittsburgh last hosted the event in 1994, and they are already getting it again in 2006...as 12 year turn-around. Pretty crazy.

As someone pointed out in a thread a month or two ago, not all teams necessarily WANT to host the ASG. The Mets were named as one of the teams that want nothing to do with it.

In the AL, KC and the Yankees haven't hosted since the mid 70's, so they're due. Not sure if KC wants the ASG, but they're getting screwed by this decision if they do want it.