PDA

View Full Version : Houston

GASHWOUND
10-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Doesn't Houston remind you of a certain team in Chicago that made the playoffs last year? Maybe we should trade away all our big bats and just get some top line starters. The Astros look exactly like us last year, exactly..Its scary.
You got a Brave's team that looked weak all year lead the Astros 2-0, a Indian team that's the worst team in all of the playoffs beat the best team. Playoff baseball...what can you say. Regular season records don't mean crap.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Doesn't Houston remind you of a certain team in Chicago that made the playoffs last year? Maybe we should trade away all our big bats and just get some top line starters. The Astros look exactly like us last year, exactly..Its scary.
You got a Brave's team that looked weak all year lead the Astros 2-0, a Indian team that's the worst team in all of the playoffs beat the best team. Playoff baseball...what can you say. Regular season records don't mean crap.

Wow, you beat me to it Gash. That double-play in the ninth practically brought shivers with all the feelings from a year ago. The Astros are soulmates to our Sox.

Jerry_Manuel
10-10-2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Wow, you beat me to it Gash. That double-play in the ninth practically brought shivers with all the feelings from a year ago. The Astros are soulmates to our Sox.

Yeah but the difference is in the pitching. The Astros have faced Maddux and Glavine,the M's pitching last year had nobody on their team who was close to Maddux or Glavine.

Spiff
10-10-2001, 04:40 PM
They are also similar in the fact that they are getting outmanaged. Bobby Cox and Lou Pinella are good enough to make up the difference in talent.

GASHWOUND
10-10-2001, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yeah but the difference is in the pitching. The Astros have faced Maddux and Glavine,the M's pitching last year had nobody on their team who was close to Maddux or Glavine.

I think the Astros could've faced any of the playoffs top two aces and the results would be the same. Its like when pressed in to pressure situations, big offensive clubs get cold feet. The same thing happened in '98 for the Astros. They had the top offensive club and were shut down by Padres. Thats why I chose the Braves to win tis series. the Braves have Maddux and Glavine as their top two, the Atros don't.

Jerry_Manuel
10-10-2001, 05:45 PM
I think the Astros could've faced any of the playoffs top two aces and the results would be the same. Its like when pressed in to pressure situations, big offensive clubs get cold feet. The same thing happened in '98 for the Astros. They had the top offensive club and were shut down by Padres

I agree that in the playoffs the big offensive clubs get shut down. Just for the fact that you are facing the best teams not the Tigers or the Brewers. In '98 the Padres had Kevin Brown and I want to say Sterling Hitchcock as their one and two. In 2000 the Mariners had Freddy Garcia starting in game one and had Paul Abbott in game two. Not exactly Maddux material. I'll just say this and I'm done, the Sox last year didn't face the type of pitching the Astros faced in 2001.

Chisox353014
10-10-2001, 05:51 PM

I think the Astros could've faced any of the playoffs top two aces and the results would be the same. Its like when pressed in to pressure situations, big offensive clubs get cold feet. The same thing happened in '98 for the Astros. They had the top offensive club and were shut down by Padres. Thats why I chose the Braves to win tis series. the Braves have Maddux and Glavine as their top two, the Atros don't.

Didn't the Yankees shutout Texas about 4 or 5 games in a row a couple years back also?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 07:19 PM
The Astros never hit in the playoffs, and neither do the Sox. It's been like this for twenty years.

10 to 1 the Braves get blown out in their next series, "good pitching" not withstanding.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2001, 07:29 PM
The Astros never hit in the playoffs, and neither do the Sox. It's been like this for twenty years. Sad, but true.....sigh....

KempersRS
10-10-2001, 07:31 PM
The Astros never hit in the playoffs, and neither do the Sox. It's been like this for twenty years.

10 to 1 the Braves get blown out in their next series, "good pitching" not withstanding.

George, I am willing to put 10 bucks up for the Braves on that one if you truly want 10-1 odds.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
George, I am willing to put 10 bucks up for the Braves on that one if you truly want 10-1 odds.

Sorry--the bravado is gone. It happens all the time after Mrs. PHG serves her famous "Macho Burritoes".

The Braves won't look so tough after they're done disposing of the liliputians from Houston. Is that better?

:)

KempersRS
10-10-2001, 09:00 PM

Sorry--the bravado is gone. It happens all the time after Mrs. PHG serves her famous "Macho Burritoes".

The Braves won't look so tough after they're done disposing of the liliputians from Houston. Is that better?

:)

Oh sure, always blame Mrs. PHG! :)