PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Curse discussion

Foulke29
10-27-2004, 05:35 PM
There's discussion at the following thread about a "Black Sox" curse.

I hope the White Sox are not thrown into this pathetic propoganda of curse discussion.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=37259&PagePosition=1

Ol' No. 2
10-27-2004, 05:39 PM

I hope the White Sox are not thrown into this pathetic propoganda of curse discussion.Isn't that what you just did?

Foulke29
10-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Isn't that what you just did?
I meant at the national media level.

By the way, the site listed is a SimBall site, and I am in a draft league that no players can be duplicated by another team - and I have Nellie shoring up second base for me.

nitetrain8601
10-27-2004, 05:46 PM
it's also being discussed in this board...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=294281&sid=a661cb290a63db7c8e2dc3ec7084d356

Corlose 15
10-27-2004, 11:46 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...people are idiots. If the Sox get wrapped up in this curse crap I think I'll barf. Srew Curses!!:angry:

jabrch
10-27-2004, 11:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...people are idiots. If the Sox get wrapped up in this curse crap I think I'll barf. Srew Curses!!:angry:
Yeah.....Srew em! :)

RKMeibalane
10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
For the last time...

There never was a curse! The Red Sox did not win a WS until tonight because they weren't able to put together a team that was good enough to win in October. That's why it took them so long to get back to this point. End of discussion.

SomebodyToldMe
10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah.....Srew em! :)
Haha.

I "lol"ed at that one.

MRKARNO
10-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Today marks an important day in White Sox history as well. The National media only has enough attention to have 2 afflicted teams in their sights. Now that only two teams havent won for 85+ year, a lot more media attention will be placed on the White Sox. Prepare for White Sox curse discussion and prepare to rebut it and change the topic to "we've just been used and abused, we're not cursed."

RichFitztightly
10-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Oh, the curse talk has already started in the media.

Check here. (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/nadel/)

I can't wait till this goes national.

SomebodyToldMe
10-27-2004, 11:58 PM
We as SOX fans don't need to blame losing on a stinkin' curse.

We KNOW that our team just falls apart and just plain loses.

What about poor Tampa Bay? Why isn't there a "Curse of the AL East"?

I mean those poor guys play in the same division as the Yanks and Bosox...But do they complain?

Al Capone
10-28-2004, 12:04 AM
:gulp: All the attention will be given to the loveable loosers on the north side...everyone knows we wont spend the money or get the players we need to win a series!

Flight #24
10-28-2004, 12:07 AM
For the last time...

There never was a curse! The Red Sox did not win a WS until tonight because they weren't able to put together a team that was good enough to win in October. That's why it took them so long to get back to this point. End of discussion.
C'mon RK, what could be worse than "the curse of insufficient talent"?

santo=dorf
10-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Oh, the curse talk has already started in the media.

Check here. (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/opinions/columnists/nadel/)

I can't wait till this goes national.
Mike Nadel was written some of the WORST cubbie-fluff pieces for the Hearld News. HE SUCKS!:angry:

Whitesox029
10-28-2004, 12:12 AM

I hope the White Sox are not thrown into this pathetic propoganda of curse discussion.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=37259&PagePosition=1 I don't think this will happen because White Sox fans simply will not support it. We are too smart to blame it on some ethereal presence. We know that it has simply been sucky ownership and bad luck over the last 87 years.

SoxFan76
10-28-2004, 12:15 AM
This could be good or bad. I have a feeling the Sox will become ESPN's new AL project now that the Red Sox aren't so loveable anymore. But then again, the Sox will probably get a lot more national attention.

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 12:16 AM
good lord.

doublem23
10-28-2004, 12:17 AM
This could be good or bad. I have a feeling the Sox will become ESPN's new AL project now that the Red Sox aren't so loveable anymore. But then again, the Sox will probably get a lot more national attention.
I doubt it and pray that it is not the case. I would bet if they pick anyone from the AL to be the new "cuddly losers," they'll pick Cleveland or something like that.

There's no such thing as curses; only ****ty teams, ****ty owners, and ****ty management.

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 12:21 AM
There's no such thing as curses; only ****ty teams,
****ty owners, and ****ty management.
thank you

SoxFan76
10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
thank you
The impression I got from your previous post was that you think I am not opposed to the curse thing. Well I am. I don't want the Sox to have a "curse", I would rather remain under the radar. Then the Sox can sneak up on teams and finally win a WS.

Al Capone
10-28-2004, 12:24 AM
They probably will pick the Indians......i think the red sox winning is a sign of the end of the world....i'm moving to canada!!!!!

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 12:24 AM
OK, good.

I apologize, I'm already a little mad boston won the world series/was fox's lapdog. I'm a bit testy. No way to introduce myself to the board i know.

Wsoxmike59
10-28-2004, 12:30 AM
I say play it up to the hilt. If any team deserved to be cursed it's the White Sox for throwing the Holy Grail of all sporting events, the World Series!

The Red Sox and Cubs had really flimsy reasons to be called "cursed" franchises. Selling off the best player in the game, and NOT ALLOWING A FREAKING GOAT into the ballpark is the best that they could come up with???

Think about it, America loves to root for an underdog, which is how the Cubs got to be so popular in the first place. I think just through natural selection the Sox are going to get some press and media attention out of this. And if this puts the focus or spotlight on the Sox with the National media, I say play it up to the Max!!!

It beats being ignored which is what we've largely been complaining about since the arrival of Mark Prior in to town.

1917 and counting........:?:

fusillirob1983
10-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Now I do agree that calling the Sox cursed would bring more attention and possibly at some point more fans to the park, but I find it interesting how over the 6 months I've known about this site, people have gone from saying the Sox shouldn't be cursed, to all of a sudden wanting to be cursed. I'm sure it's not the same people giving these opinions as those that were opposed to be considered cursed, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

cbrownson13
10-28-2004, 02:03 AM
It's already hit ESPN. Page 2 has the article here. They mention the Cubs and Indians too, but more so the White Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=second/guessing

Around the middle of the page.

mikef1331
10-28-2004, 02:21 AM
It's already hit ESPN. Page 2 has the article here. They mention the Cubs and Indians too, but more so the White Sox.

Yep, this sure didn't take very long. At the end of Sportscenter they had a list of the teams who have gone the longest without winning the WS and they said the suffering belongs soley to Chicago now. I just hope the curse talk is left exclusively to the north siders.

"Curses?...We don't need no stinking curses!"

SomebodyToldMe
10-28-2004, 02:38 AM

I must say, I agree about the question of St. Louis throwing this series.

They were a little too manhandled.

LET THE CONSPIRACY THEORIES BEGIN!

Hosey22
10-28-2004, 03:07 AM
I don't know, I mean having the national media re-discover Chicago's south side would be nice for once. I'm not talking about glorifying a stupid curse or anything, I don't think we're cursed and I don't want that to be played up. But as was said in the ESPN article the south side could be the American League's team now. The underdogs to root for instead of the bad guys on the south side who run onto the field. People could start realizing that there are no fans out there who have suffered as much as White Sox fans, which I believe is true. All I'm saying is it would be interesting to see what the country would make out of it, especially if we put a nice playoff run together, but that is a big IF.