PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit XZXXZ of White Sox getting no respect nationally...

Unregistered
10-27-2004, 02:59 PM
I know we'd all prefer not to be lumped in with the likes of the "cursed ones" in Boston and the North Side, but seeing crap like this makes me want to scream: "We're haunted by the possibility of living an entire lifetime -- 80-90 years, followed by death -- without celebrating a World Series title. That's not a curse; it's an imaginary guillotine that hangs over us every season. We're just waiting for it to go away, that's all. And only Cubs fans can truly understand." I used to like Bill Simmons, too. Oh well... :rolleyes:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041027

Flight #24
10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
I know we'd all prefer not to be lumped in with the likes of the "cursed ones" in Boston and the North Side, but seeing crap like this makes me want to scream: I used to like Bill Simmons, too. Oh well... :rolleyes:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041027
Me too, but of late, he's become more than ever, the "Boston Sports Guy". If his column isn't about the Pats or the BoSox, it's about "Basketball jesus", who's obviously nowhere near the greatest player to lace 'em up on the hardwood, and only idiot Boston fans would disagree with that.

Hilarious, certainly, but annoying as well.

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Any sportswriter, especially in the last 10 years, who continues
to write rubbish like that, is an Ass

kittle42
10-27-2004, 03:23 PM
We're really getting to be whiners when we argue about NOT being mentioned as perennial failures.

Unregistered
10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
We're really getting to be whiners when we argue about NOT being mentioned as perennial failures.I guess I just keep forgetting that we're not nearly as tortured as Red Sox and Cubs fans are...

hitlesswonder
10-27-2004, 04:11 PM
We're really getting to be whiners when we argue about NOT being mentioned as perennial failures.
I agree :smile: I'd rather the Sox organization didn't get that kind of publicity and I'd like to think that Sox fans in general don't think of themselves as "tortured". IMO, that seems sort of silly and self-absorbed. I think Ray Ratto's column (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/09/19/SPGM81QBRR1.DTL) last year expressed pretty much how I feel about "long sufferingness".

Lip Man 1
10-27-2004, 07:05 PM
There's an old saying in marketing / advertising...ANY publicity is better then NO publicity.

Lip

soxnut
10-28-2004, 12:26 AM
There's an old saying in marketing / advertising...ANY publicity is better then NO publicity.

Lip

Lip, you're exactly right.(can't believe I just said that:tongue: ).

But anyway, it's the truth. And it's pathetic that the White Sox can't get attention for anything. there was also in blurb in a Southwest Airlines magazine about the World Series, and of course it metions the Red Sox and Cubs futility, but you-know-who wasn't mentioned.:?:

jackbrohamer
10-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Lip

I agree with you also. As pathetic as this "curse" BS is it seems to have motivated both the Carmines and Scrubs in the last couple years to have better teams. JR has been able to fly under the radar and not deal with the public humiliation that is associated with going nearly 100 years without a title. Maybe some increased focus on it will change his priorities (finish .500 in the worst division in baseball and make a profit for his investors). But I doubt it.

SSN721
10-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I havent been able to read Bill Simmons since the playoffs started. I always look forward to his column the rest fo the year because it is easy to ignore the worship he has for all his Boston teams as he doesnt include too much of them in his normal articles. But these playoff diary ones make me want to puke and made me want the BoSox to lose even more then I wanted them to anyway. A for national respect, unfortunately they are right, there is a Cub Nation and Red Sox Nation. There is no White Sox nation. As much as we as die hards hate that those are the facts. We barely survive in the metro area let alone have any fans outside Chicago, this team just hasnt been nationally significant for about a decade. :(:

Dan H
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I agree. My first thought was night was not whether or not we could be also considered long time suffering fans. My first thought was that the White Sox truly have the the #1 ranking as the American League team with the longest World Series drought. The team always had it but it was pracitcally a tie with Boston. No more. When is this ownership going to get off its collective butt and do something? Saying Hope Springs Eternal won't work.

SoxFan78
10-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Who gives a crap what Bill Simmons says in his articles. They should rename his articles from "The Sports Guy" to "Boston Sports Report".

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Who gives a crap what Bill Simmons says in his articles. They should rename his articles from "The Sports Guy" to "Boston Sports Report".How about: "Daily Journal of a Self-Absorbed Red Sox Fan". That more accurately reflects the content of everything he writes.

bigfoot
10-28-2004, 10:53 AM
As if the local Chicago Media Morons(and you know who you are) continue the myth of the One Team Chicago, the smallest dweeb of them all Mike Greenberg expounded upon the breaking of Boston's "curse" and the continuation of the "curse of the Goat" by telling the nationwide ESPN radio audience that, "...the White Sox don't count. They are not "America's Team", like the Red Sox Nation and Cub Nation.
~The little weasel was fortunate he was so tiny, that when I reached through my radio and pulled his pathetic soul into my home that he barely noticed as I ripped what passed for his heart out of the chest cavity.
~I'm MUCH better, now.
~OK guys, you can bring me my Jello, now.