PDA

View Full Version : King George says Go after Johnson.

santo=dorf
10-27-2004, 01:35 PM
www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109885580366130.xml (http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109885580366130.xml)

First, they could dangle Vazquez, who had a disappointing second half of his first Yankee season. Vazquez has three years and $34.5 million left on his contract, but if Arizona likes Vazquez, the Yankees might not have to pay any. Vazquez's $10.5 million salary next year would be a savings from the $17 million they owe Johnson, and Vazquez, at 28, is 13 years younger.

There are people in the Yankees' front office who believe Vazquez is a good enough pitcher to someday be a No. 1 starter for the Yankees, but Steinbrenner always gets the final say.

Another possibility -- one the Yankees explored back in July when they discussed getting Brad Penny from Florida and flipping him to Arizona for Johnson -- is getting a third team involved.

The Chicago White Sox this week expressed some interest in Johnson, but it's believed they can't afford him and would only be acquiring him in order to deal him elsewhere.

:reinsy
"What were you really expecting from me?"

Flight #24
10-27-2004, 01:52 PM
www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109885580366130.xml (http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109885580366130.xml)

I like the creativity. If you can do Konerko & Garland for RJ, then maybe RJ to the Yanks for Vazquez & cash, then you've freed up cash, and gotten a very good, potentially great #3SP. You then take your cash and go after an offensive player (Drew, Beltran) or 2 (Vizquel), bullpen help, and possibly another pitcher.

CubKilla
10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
:reinsy
"What were you really expecting from me?"
:D: :D: :D: :D: :D: . That made me laugh.

kittle42
10-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I like the creativity. If you can do Konerko & Garland for RJ, then maybe RJ to the Yanks for Vazquez & cash, then you've freed up cash, and gotten a very good, potentially great #3SP. You then take your cash and go after an offensive player (Drew, Beltran) or 2 (Vizquel), bullpen help, and possibly another pitcher.
Here's another solution that requires no creativity - insert hand in pocket. Withdraw pen from pocket. Sign check. Hand check to player(s).

Baby Fisk
10-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Here's another solution that requires no creativity - insert hand in pocket. Withdraw pen from pocket. Sign check. Hand check to player(s).You forgot the deep pink. We all shudder in expectation of what we know is more likely to happen...

:KW
"I'd like to welcome Hideo Nomo to the White Sox family for the next four years! He will make huge starts for us and help us win many big games down the stretch because nothing short of a World Championship will do and that's why we are making big moves like this one bla bla bla bla bla..."

Iwritecode
10-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Then the rotations goes from

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
???

to

Johnson
Burly
Garcia
Contreras
???

If we are going to get a starting pitcher, lets try to get rid of those ??? while doing it...

soxfan26
10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
If we are going to get a starting pitcher, lets try to get rid of those ??? while doing it...
But those ??? give us a chance to showcase the host of "can't miss" pitching prospects from our minor league system.

:ritchie
"Why do that when you can trade the prospects for an established pitcher with a slight mechanical flaw?"

Flight #24
10-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Then the rotations goes from

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
???

to

Johnson
Burly
Garcia
Contreras
???

Seeing as how I can envision Johnson's win total beating Garland's by about 10, I'm less worried about the ???? with him on board. In that scenario, I'd sign 1-2 cheap vets like Wilson Alvarez to compete with Grilli.

soxfan26
10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Seeing as how I can envision Johnson's win total beating Garland's by about 10, I'm less worried about the ???? with him on board. In that scenario, I'd sign 1-2 cheap vets like Wilson Alvarez to compete with Grilli.
I thought RJ was going to the Yanks for Vazquez?

Either way the point is, bring in an establish starter without opening up a black hole at the back end of the rotation. Which is exactly what Grili and Alvarez would amount to.

nitetrain8601
10-28-2004, 01:27 AM
I don't understand why PK and some prospect wouldn't be enough for Vasquez if it was a 3 team trade. Why should we give up two quailty players(even though some of you don't consider JG anything) for one pitched who had a terrible second half? Arizona probably would want PK, the sox prospect and dioner navarro.