PDA

View Full Version : Renteria or Cabrera

Foulke29
10-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Does anyone see the White Sox bringing one of these guys over here. I can halfway see St. Louis bringing in someone else - maybe Garciapara for the right price...

What do you think?

Palehose13
10-27-2004, 11:15 AM
I would like either. :D:

CubKilla
10-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Does anyone see the White Sox bringing one of these guys over here. I can halfway see St. Louis bringing in someone else - maybe Garciapara for the right price...

What do you think?
No

Brian26
10-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm not interested in Cabrera at ALL. He reminds me so much of Royce Clayton in his approach at the plate. Every swing looks like he's trying to hit a 500-ft 3-run homer. No thanks.

Renteria, on the otherhand, would be an excellent addition. Do I think we will get him? No.

hitlesswonder
10-27-2004, 01:36 PM

What do you think?
With absolutely no supporting evidence, I would say it's 90% likely that Omar Vizquel will be the Sox shortstop next year, 10% it's Uribe. Honestly, unless the market for Renteria, Cabrera, and Garciaparra falls apart I think it's likely they'll all be overpaid. I'd rather the Sox weren't the ones to do it (hopefully they won't overpay for Vizquel).

batmanZoSo
10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
With absolutely no supporting evidence, I would say it's 90% likely that Omar Vizquel will be the Sox shortstop next year, 10% it's Uribe. Honestly, unless the market for Renteria, Cabrera, and Garciaparra falls apart I think it's likely they'll all be overpaid. I'd rather the Sox weren't the ones to do it (hopefully they won't overpay for Vizquel).

I think you're correct. I can totally see Vizquel landing here. Those other guys, let someone else pay a ton for them. It's not vital for us to add superstars on offense. Our problem was not hitting last year, it was pitching. On offense, all we really need is Vizquel and a catcher and we could probably just go with that. I would like to improve the defense and speed in the lineup, so I wouldn't mind an outfielder like Pierre coming along and moving Rowand to right. But we need a big name starter and a good two relievers to really be competitive next year. We were up there in hitting all year, but we were 10th or so in team pitching. Gee, do you think we need another starter????

mdep524
10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
I think you're correct. I can totally see Vizquel landing here. Those other guys, let someone else pay a ton for them. It's not vital for us to add superstars on offense. Our problem was not hitting last year, it was pitching. On offense, all we really need is Vizquel and a catcher and we could probably just go with that. I would like to improve the defense and speed in the lineup, so I wouldn't mind an outfielder like Pierre coming along and moving Rowand to right. But we need a big name starter and a good two relievers to really be competitive next year. We were up there in hitting all year, but we were 10th or so in team pitching. Gee, do you think we need another starter????I disagree with you about "our problem was not hitting last year"- I think hitting was a big problem, as big as pitching was. But I agree about the shortstops, let someone else overpay for them. Cabrera is nice, but is not a superstar. I doubt Renteria will leave St. Louis anyway. And Nomar, who cares? Juan Pierre would look pretty damn good leading off for this team next year though.

:ozzie
I tell you what, we want Willie to be the next Juan Pierre.
But I no see that happening, so I go out and get the real Juan Pierre.

Foulke29
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I disagree with you about "our problem was not hitting last year"- I think hitting was a big problem, as big as pitching was. But I agree about the shortstops, let someone else overpay for them. Cabrera is nice, but is not a superstar. I doubt Renteria will leave St. Louis anyway. And Nomar, who cares? Juan Pierre would look pretty damn good leading off for this team next year though.

:ozzie
I tell you what, we want Willie to be the next Juan Pierre.
But I no see that happening, so I go out and get the real Juan Pierre.
The major reason I mentioned Renteria is because we did have a big problem with hitting last year - OBP hitting - not SLG.

Renteria can get on base - no doubt about that.

OEO Magglio
10-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Renteria is a great player but I think the money could be better spent elsewhere, cabrera is a higher paid and less productive version of Juan Uribe.

soxfan26
10-27-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm not interested in Cabrera at ALL. He reminds me so much of Royce Clayton in his approach at the plate. Every swing looks like he's trying to hit a 500-ft 3-run homer. No thanks.

Renteria, on the otherhand, would be an excellent addition. Do I think we will get him? No.
Great comparison. I was watching him at the plate tonight and knew he reminded me of someone! I certainly don't want to pay $6+ million for him.