PDA

View Full Version : I am scared VERY SCARED

Fenway
10-27-2004, 10:24 AM
In my lifetime the Red Sox have had FOUR chances to win a game and be World Champions. Wednesday night becomes #5.......

After what happened in the ALCS when after Game 3 Boston looked deader than St Louis does now I wonder if the baseball gawds have another cruel fate in store for us in New England. Of course the New York fishwraps have to remind me of this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/426-backbig.jpghttp://nypost.com/img/back102704.gif

I just hope that my Chicagoland friends ( on the SOUTH side ) will feel like I do this morning in a not too distant season.

ST. LOUIS -- It looks as if the planets really are aligned for the Red Sox this time. A lunar eclipse is due to start less than an hour before the Sox and St. Louis Cardinals play the fourth game of the World Series tonight. If skies are clear, the moon over Busch Stadium will be blood red in the late innings.

There has never been a full lunar eclipse in the middle of a World Series game. Red October, indeed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/27/one_win_to_go_for_the_crown?mode=PF

samram
10-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Don't be scared- Jason Marquis is pitching for the Cards, and if the BoSox lose tonight, you get to see Woody Williams in game 5. There's no way the Cards pitching shuts them down for four games, especially with Schilling and Pedro set for games 6 and 7.

Enjoy it, fenway. It's a feeling none of us has ever known.

Baby Fisk
10-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Relax man. Breathe. Have a drink. It's over. OVAH!

You are even getting a lunar eclipse tonight to mark the occasion! :cool:

Irishsox1
10-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Once Boston wins, I would like to never hear The Curse of the Bambino, Fenway Park, Nomar, The Evil Empire, Bill Buckner, 1986, 1975, Berne Carbo, Bill Lee, Yaz, 1967, Babe Ruth, Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone, Rocket, Calvin Sharaldi, Dan Shaughnessy, Green Monster, Peter Gammons, Mookie Wilson, Grady Little and "The Red Sox Nation" ever again. Once the Red Sox win, they will be the evil empire, they will be the hunted. They will have more in common with the Florida Marlins than the White Sox & Cubs. Basically, they won't be an interesting story anymore. I can't wait for the Red Sox to win.

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Fenway, your in a very enviable position let me tell you. Good Luck,
though I do like the Cardinals very much (the Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend)
Im pulling for the Red Sox. American League trumps NL in my book.
Have Fun Tonite celebrating, and if possible, post something on the parties
and celebrations. Id like to know what im missing here in Chicago :gulp:

Palehose13
10-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Once Boston wins, I would like to never hear The Curse of the Bambino, Fenway Park, Nomar, The Evil Empire, Bill Buckner, 1986, 1975, Berne Carbo, Bill Lee, Yaz, 1967, Babe Ruth, Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone, Rocket, Calvin Sharaldi, Dan Shaughnessy, Green Monster, Peter Gammons, Mookie Wilson, Grady Little and "The Red Sox Nation" ever again. Once the Red Sox win, they will be the evil empire, they will be the hunted. They will have more in common with the Florida Marlins than the White Sox & Cubs. Basically, they won't be an interesting story anymore. I can't wait for the Red Sox to win.
Good point. :gulp:

Fenway
10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Bill Simmons at ESPN.com sums it up best

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041027

Baby Fisk
10-27-2004, 11:30 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041027This pissed me off:

Here's the complicated answer, which I wrote in a column three years ago: "We're haunted by the possibility of living an entire lifetime -- 80-90 years, followed by death -- without celebrating a World Series title. That's not a curse; it's an imaginary guillotine that hangs over us every season. We're just waiting for it to go away, that's all. And only Cubs fans can truly understand." Is he that ignorant to ignore the plight of White Sox fans? Or have we been hallucinating all this time that there's another baseball club in Chicago? Wait, can someone confirm if WSI is one of those fantasy roll-playing websites, that there actually isn't a real team called the Chicago White Sox?! Is this some stupid reality TV show about a made up baseball team? Why the **** do the White Sox not exist outside of their own fanbase?! :angry:

Palehose13
10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
can someone confirm if WSI is one of those fantasy roll-playing websites,
I loooooove those kind of sites. :o:

kittle42
10-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I wonder how many people will be injured/killed when a throng of people gets an idiotic "reason" to riot.

Iwritecode
10-27-2004, 11:45 AM

Here's the complicated answer, which I wrote in a column three years ago: "We're haunted by the possibility of living an entire lifetime -- 80-90 years, followed by death -- without celebrating a World Series title. That's not a curse; it's an imaginary guillotine that hangs over us every season. We're just waiting for it to go away, that's all. And only Cubs fans can truly understand."

I almost had to stop reading after that quote.

Just another hack that seems to have forgotten that there's TWO teams in Chicago and BOTH have been waiting for far, far too long... :(:

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Fenway states:

"I just hope that my Chicagoland friends ( on the SOUTH side ) will feel like I do this morning in a not too distant season."

Fenway, thanks for your support and for not treating us like the red-headed stepchild of Chicago as many others do (inside and outside our city). I am really cheering for a Red Sox victory even though many here are not because of all the crap with the Cubs fans liking the Red Sox. I like St Louis too, so this was a tough one for me.

So, best wishes and I hope that 1918 can go back to just being a year and not a curse. :bandance:

PaulDrake
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Get ready to party Fenway. Hope your stamina is up, because I think this will be the biggest bash in NE since maybe the Boston Tea Party.

kittle545feet
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I have been pulling for the Red Sox since the White Sox were eliminated and I am one of the few on here who have been arguing in favor of rooting for them. I really can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. I know I would be unable to sleep from all the anticipation and just about ready to explode. It is a feeling that I hope White Sox fans will be able to feel someday within my lifetime. Then and only then, will we be able to tell the scrub fans to shut the hell up and have them actually do it. They will have nothing to say after that. Good luck and enjoy it Fenway. Stay safe! GO RED SOX!:cheers:

doublem23
10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Nothing would be more fitting than for St. Louis to win 4 in a row.

Go Cardinals. Keep the faith.

idseer
10-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Just another hack that seems to have forgotten that there's TWO teams in Chicago and BOTH have been waiting for far, far too long... :(:
i actually DID stop reading after that statement. as i've been saying all along ... it's the media we should be upset with. in this case, bill simmons is an ignorant writer.

Fenway
10-27-2004, 06:12 PM
My best guess is the White Sox are forgotten by the national media simply because they have not folded in a clinch situation like both the Cubs and Red Sox. I never thougt the Cubs could top 1984 silly me.

Of course I never thought the Red Sox could top 1978 either.

This pissed me off:

Is he that ignorant to ignore the plight of White Sox fans? Or have we been hallucinating all this time that there's another baseball club in Chicago? Wait, can someone confirm if WSI is one of those fantasy roll-playing websites, that there actually isn't a real team called the Chicago White Sox?! Is this some stupid reality TV show about a made up baseball team? Why the **** do the White Sox not exist outside of their own fanbase?! :angry:

Foulke29
10-27-2004, 06:24 PM

He is quoted as saying, "We're haunted by the possibility of living an entire lifetime -- 80-90 years, followed by death -- without celebrating a World Series title. That's not a curse; it's an imaginary guillotine that hangs over us every season. We're just waiting for it to go away, that's all. And only Cubs fans can truly understand."

White Sox fans don't know that feeling at all.

Bogus.

Foulke You
10-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Keep the faith Fenway. The Cards DO NOT have the pitching to win 4 straight against the Boston Red Sox. It just ain't gonna happen. Get ready to celebrate the most foreign of concepts. An honest to goodness World Championship.

We White Sox fans will have to live vicariously through you and hope that one day OUR Sox will be the ones to close out an NL team in the World Series.:(:

flo-B-flo
10-27-2004, 11:14 PM
6 more outs for the other Sox to get and they will get the gorilla off of their shoulders. More power to them. I'm a Cardinals fan but, this ain't too bad.:smile: Boston starting pitching and gritty, timely hitting serve as a lesson to all of us in here.

flo-B-flo
10-27-2004, 11:24 PM
One more inning and Boston will be up for grabs.:dtroll:

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-27-2004, 11:28 PM
i cant believe that boston is gunna win. I had so much faith in the cardinals. i KNEW they were gunna win. Boston came out of nowhere and destroyed the YANKEES! I thought this would'nt be a problem because its the cardinals. Boy was I wrong. Damn the red sox.

Who else agrees that this is one BOOOORING world series? The playoffs were way better and exciting.

How would this all have changed if the yankees beat the red sox and went.

Cardinals or Yankees?

FarWestChicago
10-27-2004, 11:28 PM
White Sox fans don't know that feeling at all.Not teal!!

:tealpolice:

samram
10-27-2004, 11:33 PM
6 more outs for the other Sox to get and they will get the gorilla off of their shoulders. More power to them. I'm a Cardinals fan but, this ain't too bad.:smile: Boston starting pitching and gritty, timely hitting serve as a lesson to all of us in here.
You know, it's odd, but seeing the BoSox do this actually gives me hope that our Sox could do this, that these droughts don't last forever, that it will end. Then I remember that the Sox have a hard time winning season series from the Tigers.

idseer
10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Not teal!!

:tealpolice:YEAAaaay for the teal police! where have you guys BEEN? :D:

PaulDrake
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Get ready to party Fenway. Hope your stamina is up, because I think this will be the biggest bash in NE since maybe the Boston Tea Party. Are you still sleeping Fenway or did you stay up all night? It was a hell of a party wasn't it? Here at WSI we can only dream about something like this. It feels a lot lighter now without that big gorilla on your back doesn't it? Enjoy.

Baby Fisk
10-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Congrats fenway. I believe they created the phrase "carpet-licking drunk" for the kind of experience you must have had last night. :cool:

Paulwny
10-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Congrats Fenway,
If the cards would have come back to tie the series at 3 games I doubt any red sox fan would have slept Sat. night with the 7th game being played on Holloween.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2004, 03:59 PM

They don't count us Sox fans because we're content to lose as long as we have fun at the ballpark..so we haven't been sufferring really.

Yeah, that was sarcastic.