PDA

View Full Version : Overheard the News on "The Drive" 97.1 FM

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
The morning schmuck says to the woman newscaster, "I hear some big news in chicagoland this morning"
Newscaster: " Yes, the citys news is the cubs schedule was released today"

DJ: "and I see that the Boston Red Sox will be making their first visit to Chicago, since 1938 I want to say? and the last time they won a championship(and mumbles to himself)

Newscaster: "Yes, Boston will be making their first visit to CHICAGO this year, its going to be something else. Also, the cubs will visit Yankee stadium in June
for their first ever visit since (mentions the year)"

DJ: "looks like the last time Boston was here they won a championship, but (laughs) looks like that droughts gonna end.

I sat at my desk and SILENTLY SCREAMED. Why is this city full of Morons
in the Media?

Dan H
10-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Obviously this isn't the first trip the Red Sox have made into Chicago, but Hanger, you have to stop torturing yourself. These people don't get it. They never will.

SoxFan78
10-27-2004, 10:19 AM
This is exactly like when the Red Eye had a special section comparing New York and Chicago when the Yankees visited Wrigley. It was this whole big thing because the mighty Yankees were coming to Chicago.

THEY COME TO CHICAGO EVERY YEAR TO PLAY THE WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes me f'n sick.

Risk
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
This is exactly like when the Red Eye had a special section comparing New York and Chicago when the Yankees visited Wrigley. It was this whole big thing because the mighty Yankees were coming to Chicago.

THEY COME TO CHICAGO EVERY YEAR TO PLAY THE WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes me f'n sick.
This is just more evidence to add to my overall belief that stupidity reigns supreme everywhere, and yes, only stupid people seem to be breeding.

Risk

CubKilla
10-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I sat at my desk and SILENTLY SCREAMED. Why is this city full of Morons in the Media?
:reinsy

"Because Chicago has always been a Cubs Town Hangar."

TommyJohn
10-27-2004, 12:32 PM
The morning schmuck says to the woman newscaster, "I hear some big news in chicagoland this morning"

DJ: "and I see that the Boston Red Sox will be making their first visit to Chicago, since 1938 I want to say? and the last time they won a championship(and mumbles to himself)

Newscaster: "Yes, Boston will be making their first visit to CHICAGO this year, its going to be something else. Also, the cubs will visit Yankee stadium in June

DJ: "looks like the last time Boston was here they won a championship, but (laughs) looks like that droughts gonna end.

in the Media?Not to brag, Hang, but I predicted crap like this some time ago. July, in fact.

I posted this on July 16:

Sneering Chicago Media Ass here. We are looking forward to the Red Sox' first trip to Chicago since 1918.

Do my powers of prophecy not stun you? Shall I call the Amazing Randi and
take his million dollar challenge?

pinwheels3530
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM

in the Media?

Don't worry the LA Dodgers will be visiting Chicago for the first time since the 59 series. :cool:

pinwheels3530
10-27-2004, 12:51 PM
I wonder how much press the Sox/Dodgers series will get compared to the Red Sox/Cubs series? I know that the 59 series is a big deal to Sox fans so I expect a complete sell out the whole weekend.

The Sox should also bring out the 59 uniforms that weekend to help promote the series as someone mentioned on another thread. With that in mind Brook Boyer and the Sox should not miss there chance to go all out and market the hell out of what should be a classic, historical series for the city. I'll be watching very closely on how Brook hypes up the series.......since we know the Chicago media won't help in that department.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Don't worry the LA Dodgers will be visiting Chicago for the first time since the 59 series. :cool:LOL! Good one, pinwheels.

Why am I sure none of the Chicago mediots will make a faux pas regarding that particular series.

For the record, Steve Downs is the morning "jay" at the Drive and he was still pretending to be a Sox Fan until the Giant Collapse of September, 2003. Shortly after the Paniaqua meltdown he jumped with both feet on the Flubbie bandwagon and hasn't left it in the 13 months since... just one more Sox Fan mediot putting on the Lovable Loser pee-soaked clothing to help ingratiate himself with a wider portion of his audience. He foresaked his Sox Fan roots, so **** him.

Separately...

Today's print version of the Cubune has a front page feature about Flubs fans finally finding a "Sox team" they can root for.

I'm not kidding. This story actually made it to the front page of the Chicago Cubune. And they're not biased. It's far more newsworthy than say, oh a MURDER of a fan that occurred after a game there. Bury that story on page 3 of Metro.

:giantsnail

This is where somebody (Lip, Vanderberg, etc.) tells me it's newsworthy and definitely not part of any bias against the Sox in their own town. To hear them NOT ADMIT IT, it's merely a function of the major conflict of interest the Cubune Company created for its newspaper division (and TV and radio division) when it bought the Lovable Losers 23 years ago, the very conflict of interest Ann Marie Lipinski and Gary Washburn are completely blind to, continue to live in a state denial about, and manifests itself over and over and over again anytime the Cubune is finally forced to speak out publicly about it.

It's the same conflict of interest the Cubune Company's executives SWORE back in 1981 would never be a problem. They lie like a rug.

Who's surprised? Not me.

SOXSINCE'70
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Why is this city full of Morons
in the Media?Hey Hangar, you want reasons?? I'll give a few:

:morrisey :ass :moron :giangreco

Does this begin to answer your question ??:angry: :angry:

kittle42
10-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey Hangar, you want reasons?? I'll give a few:

Not really - it doesn't answer the question of "why."

Risk
10-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey Hangar, you want reasons?? I'll give a few:

Four perfect examples of human evolution jumping backwards.

Risk

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Four perfect examples of human evolution jumping backwards.
:ohno
"Are we not men?"

:ass :moron :giangreco
"We are DEVO!'

"Are we not men?"

"D-E-V-O!'

:)

Baby Fisk
10-27-2004, 03:35 PM
The Sox should also bring out the 59 uniforms that weekend to help promote the series as someone mentioned on another thread.
That is an awesome idea. :nod:

TommyJohn
10-27-2004, 04:40 PM
I wonder how much press the Sox/Dodgers series will get compared to the Red Sox/Cubs series? I know that the 59 series is a big deal to Sox fans so I expect a complete sell out the whole weekend.

The Sox should also bring out the 59 uniforms that weekend to help promote the series as someone mentioned on another thread. With that in mind Brook Boyer and the Sox should not miss there chance to go all out and market the hell out of what should be a classic, historical series for the city. I'll be watching very closely on how Brook hypes up the series.......since we know the Chicago media won't help in that department.
I say have a member of the 1959 "Go-Go" Sox throw out a ceremonial first
pitch. Billy Pierce immediately springs to mind, or maybe a member of the
Nellie Fox family.

Of course, even if Brooks and the boys do hype it, the Sneering Chicago
Media Asses will sneer that they are doing it for about 19 people, because
the rest of the world won't care.

Another idea. Turnabout is fair play. Have someone, a Sox fan in the media
or something, say "The Los Angeles Dodgers are coming to Chicago to face
a major league team for the first time since 1959." Play up the fact that
it is a rematch of the last two teams to play a World Series game in Chicago.
You want to rile up the "Cubune" and the Cub-loving media, get them to
notice the series? I guarantee that'll do it.

kittle42
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Another idea. Turnabout is fair play. Have someone, a Sox fan in the mediaor something, say "The Los Angeles Dodgers are coming to Chicago to face
I don't really think that would do it.

TommyJohn
10-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I don't really think that would do it.
Look how riled up they got over "Us vs. Them." Some media people practically
dropped litters of kittens over that one.

ewokpelts
10-27-2004, 05:40 PM
"Are we not men?"

"We are DEVO!'

"Are we not men?"

"D-E-V-O!'

:)george,
dont insult devo like that.......

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Look how riled up they got over "Us vs. Them." Some media people practically
dropped litters of kittens over that one.
Your right. The Chicago MEDIA was FURIOUS over those ads. They didnt like it one bit, and were very incensed. Funny, though, the Media shouldnt be outwardly cheering for the cubs now should they? Who says the Media Isnt Biased ???

Lip Man 1
10-27-2004, 07:03 PM
PHG:

I am wondering though why Lipinski and Washburn haven't been fired yet.

Lip

DSpivack
10-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Doth no one remember when the Sox traveled to Chavez Ravine....
The same weekend the Cubbies played host to NYY?

How much pub did the pale hose receive then?

C-Dawg
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Today's print version of the Cubune has a front page feature about Flubs fans finally finding a "Sox team" they can root for.

I'm not kidding. This story actually made it to the front page of the Chicago Cubune.

My favorite part of that article was when they said Grant DePorter (owner of Harry caray's restaurant) claims Harry would be pulling for the Red Sox because that's whom all the Cub fans want to win. This would be DESPITE the fact Harry was born in St. Louis, and broadcast for the Cardinals for 25 years. C'mon, Grant, you must have breathed a little too much dynamite back in February.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2004, 07:13 PM
PHG:

I am wondering though why Lipinski and Washburn haven't been fired yet.

Lip
The people who sign their paychecks and send them stock options don't feel either of them are hurting the Cubune's bottom line. Once they do... adios.

Next question.

C-Dawg
10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Doth no one remember when the Sox traveled to Chavez Ravine....
The same weekend the Cubbies played host to NYY?

How much pub did the pale hose receive then?

NONE whatsoever! The Sox and Cubs were both playing old World Series rivals, but ALL the hype was over the Cubs-Yankees.

robertks61
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I say have a member of the 1959 "Go-Go" Sox throw out a ceremonial first
pitch. Billy Pierce immediately springs to mind, or maybe a member of the
Nellie Fox family.

Of course, even if Brooks and the boys do hype it, the Sneering Chicago
Media Asses will sneer that they are doing it for about 19 people, because
the rest of the world won't care.

Another idea. Turnabout is fair play. Have someone, a Sox fan in the media
or something, say "The Los Angeles Dodgers are coming to Chicago to face

Excellent!

Lip Man 1
10-27-2004, 08:43 PM
PHG:

Looks like we'll be waiting a long time then.

Lip

white sox bill
10-28-2004, 07:27 AM
I'm sure the broadcasters were referring to in the context of the Scubs--meaning they were dicussing flubs and referring them to playing wrong sox. Harmless. Henry don't get riled up over this. Don't want to see that circus on the bad side of town shorten your life

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 08:05 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Ok, forget buying the Sox, Uncle Jerry won't do it. Instead, we buy a radio station and turn it into a Sports Talk station. Of course, we would be fair and spend 50% of the time talking about the Flubs.....oh boy will we talk about them.....:halo:

SOXSINCE'70
10-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Not really - it doesn't answer the question of "why."
Their anti Sox bias would do for a start.