PDA

View Full Version : 10/09 AFL Report

Vsahajpal
10-10-2001, 05:23 AM
Mesa lost 6-5 last night, their 4th loss in a row.

Sox 2b prospect Tim Hummel batted 2nd in the lineup and went 1-4 with an RBI single and a run scored. He's now batting an even .300.

Joe Borchard started in center, and went 1-4 with a single, and a K.

Miguel Olivo started behind the plate, and was 1-3 with a single. Unfortunately though, Orlando Hudson stole 3 bases tonight for the opposition.

Sox RF, Mario Valenzuela was 1-4, but his hit was nullified as he was caught stealing 2b.

Bobby Hill and Earl Snyder were the only standouts for Mesa.

Hill lead off and played SS; he was 2-4 with 2 singles, 2 runs scored, and a stolen base.

Snyder belted a grandslam in the losing cause.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2001, 09:20 AM
Thanks Vsa. Is Chris Honel out there?

Randar68
10-10-2001, 09:23 AM
Kris Honel is not participating in the AFL. Usually, players from AA and AAA are sent, especially by the Sox. It isn't very common for single A players, especially low A, to be put on the AFL teams, because it is VERY high competition, with top prospects upper level leagues.

Vsahajpal
10-10-2001, 01:09 PM
I did see Rauch throwing a bullpen session at Fitch Park, about 4-5 days ago, but as Randar mentioned, Honel isn't there.

Randar68
10-10-2001, 01:16 PM
I did see Rauch throwing a bullpen session at Fitch Park, about 4-5 days ago

Well, IMO, that is a sign that his is right on schedule or slightly ahead of it. Should be throwing simulated games soon...

Vsahajpal
10-10-2001, 02:22 PM
yep, he looked just fine. He's got nasty stuff:

:lurch

You rang?

Vsahajpal
10-10-2001, 02:25 PM
?

no Rauch tag yet?

Spiff
10-10-2001, 02:30 PM
Browsers can't read bitmaps heh.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2001, 03:16 PM
:rauch

LongDistanceFan
10-10-2001, 09:39 PM
it appears that our boys are not doing soooo well.

Daver
10-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Thanks Vsa. Is Chris Honel out there?

Honel is a great prospect,but he is not ready at 19 years old to face that kind of competition.

Vsahajpal
10-11-2001, 01:14 AM
I disagree. The Sox have five legit prospects in the AFL. Guerrier had a solid debut, Kyle Kane has been unhittable, Hummel has been playing real well, and Olivo has been decent. As for Borchard, he's gotten off to a slow start, but the season is just 7 games old, so I expect him to pick things up shortly.

kermittheefrog
10-11-2001, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I disagree. The Sox have five legit prospects in the AFL. Guerrier had a solid debut, Kyle Kane has been unhittable, Hummel has been playing real well, and Olivo has been decent. As for Borchard, he's gotten off to a slow start, but the season is just 7 games old, so I expect him to pick things up shortly.

Is Kyle Kane really a solid prospect? As of last year he posted a 5.68 ERA in the Carolina league as a 25 year old reliever. He had a great year this year, across three levels he threw 58.3 innings with a 15/75 BB/K. Once again that's at 26 so I guess it would make him a fringe prospect.

Vsahajpal
10-11-2001, 02:16 AM
He was drafted as a 21 year old junior I believe (Randar knows) out of Saddleback Junior College, and his poor showing can be attributed to a knee injury that ailed him at the start of the 99 season. His performance this year is more likely indicative of his stuff, as he posted better numbers as he moved higher up the system. He's been nothing short of great at the AFL; I think he's more than a fringe prospect, but I think another strong showing next season will validate my opinion.

Randar68
10-11-2001, 12:44 PM
He was drafted as a 21 year old junior I believe (Randar knows) out of Saddleback Junior College, and his poor showing can be attributed to a knee injury that ailed him at the start of the 99 season. His performance this year is more likely indicative of his stuff, as he posted better numbers as he moved higher up the system. He's been nothing short of great at the AFL; I think he's more than a fringe prospect, but I think another strong showing next season will validate my opinion.

Well, he could be an effective middle to short reliever at the major league level, but I would certainly not label him as anything but a fringe prospect at this point. He isn't a starter, and has many people in front of him in line for a shot at closing if Foulke leaves.

IMO, as the Sox do every year, they stick one or 2 guys in the AFL to give them exposure and to showcase them for inclusion in trades. I do believe that this is the case with Kane. Despite having thrown a lot of innings, there were several other pitchers I would have given the opportunity to...Ulacia, Lantigua, Malone, etc...