PDA

View Full Version : Schedule for interleague games next year

kittle42
10-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Sox at Wrigley at the end of May; Cubs at the Cell at the end of June.

I personally like this better than the consecutive weekend series we've had the past few years.

santo=dorf
10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it gives Cubs fans 3 extra weeks to make up excuses as to why we kicked their asses at Wrigley the previous series. :cool:

Parrothead
10-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Personally I am sick of the home and home series. I would rather play the other teams in whatever division they are playing. This year the Sox are not playing the Giants. This interleague play has run its course under its current setup. Why not play the each division every 3 years like it was supposed to be? The Sox had not played the Central in 5 years.

chisoxmike
10-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Personally I am sick of the home and home series. I would rather play the other teams in whatever division they are playing. This year the Sox are not playing the Giants. This interleague play has run its course under its current setup. Why not play the each division every 3 years like it was supposed to be? The Sox had not played the Central in 5 years.

If there was only one Sox/Cubs series the losing team's fans would complain that they did not play in their home park so it wasn't a fair judgement of "who is better" blah blah blah.

I personally like having the two series. A week worth of "playoff-like baseball."

FightingBillini
10-26-2004, 10:29 PM
You have your owner to thank (some say blame) for 2 series each year with interleague rivals. He knew that 3 Cub-Sox games at the Cell would sell out. That moved the number of garaunteed sell-out dates each year from 1-4. Funny, I thought you would get more fans by fielding a winning baseball team.

dickallen15
10-26-2004, 10:43 PM
You have your owner to thank (some say blame) for 2 series each year with interleague rivals. He knew that 3 Cub-Sox games at the Cell would sell out. That moved the number of garaunteed sell-out dates each year from 1-4. Funny, I thought you would get more fans by fielding a winning baseball team.Now your blaming Reinsdorf for having 3 home games against the Cubs every year? Can I blame him for the crappy performance of my 401k? It has to be his fault. The Sox have been fielding winning baseball teams. They have finished .500 or better 11 of the last 15 years. They won a division in 2000. Their attendance during that AL Central championship year was below average, just like it is now. Do you really think Reinsdorf has that much power with all the other owners? He says he can always sell out the Cubs games, so MLB has most teams play natural rivals? The reason they have home and home series is because of the interest in acquiring tickets. It wasn't some sort of slick move by Reinsdorf.

Rocklive99
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I say away with interleague, as a baseball fan, a little was taken away from me watching Game 1 of the World Series, knowing that the Cardinals visited Fenway last year.

rwcescato
10-26-2004, 11:10 PM
I say away with interleague, as a baseball fan, a little was taken away from me watching Game 1 of the World Series, knowing that the Cardinals visited Fenway last year.
Thats a sorry excuse not to watch our sports championship. I did not watch the 1st 2 games because I worked. now I am disappointed becuase this 3rd game is pretty much boring. The cardinals have died and it looks like the curse is over. They have had there chances to score and blew them. I suppose its possible but just doesn't look like it.
Rich

Parrothead
10-26-2004, 11:12 PM
If there was only one Sox/Cubs series the losing team's fans would complain that they did not play in their home park so it wasn't a fair judgement of "who is better" blah blah blah.

I personally like having the two series. A week worth of "playoff-like baseball."
For playoff baseball atomsphere, I would rather have the real thing. Plus, another problem I have with the interleague play is that not all teams play the same amount of game vs. the other league and it results in more two game series. Be gone with the interleague play. I would rather see the Yankees and Red Sox a few more times.

FightingBillini
10-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Now your blaming Reinsdorf for having 3 home games against the Cubs every year? Can I blame him for the crappy performance of my 401k? It has to be his fault. The Sox have been fielding winning baseball teams. They have finished .500 or better 11 of the last 15 years. They won a division in 2000. Their attendance during that AL Central championship year was below average, just like it is now. Do you really think Reinsdorf has that much power with all the other owners? He says he can always sell out the Cubs games, so MLB has most teams play natural rivals? The reason they have home and home series is because of the interest in acquiring tickets. It wasn't some sort of slick move by Reinsdorf.
Actually, he is one of the most influential owners. He vocally pushed for it. I dont blame him, I dont think its a bad thing. A fact is a fact. Those are 3 easy sell-out games. Thats why he wanted them.

ChiSoxRowand
10-27-2004, 12:03 AM
I like interleague, but I liked it better when they had AL central vs. NL central, AL west vs. NL west, etc. I liked when the Sox played the Cardinals and Brewers. I went up to Miller in 2001 for a Sox-Brewers game and it was awesome. Who wants to see Sox-Expos?

jackbrohamer
10-27-2004, 12:17 AM
I like interleague play also. It screws up the standings (Sox play the Cubs 6 times, while the Twinkies get to play their "rival" Brewers 6 times) but it's interesting.

As for the Sox, I'm sorry that during rare years like this (when the Scrubs are competitive) it upsets their goal of being a .500 team in the worst division in baseball. But if they were a good team, it would be good experience for the playoffs if they played a few games every year in a "playoff-like" atmosphere.

Flight #24
10-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Now your blaming Reinsdorf for having 3 home games against the Cubs every year? Can I blame him for the crappy performance of my 401k? It has to be his fault. .
Well, if only he'd spend $$$, the Sox would have won multiple WS by now. That would have increased the Chicago profile, and the added tourism would have revitalized the entire south side. The combination would have pumped trillions into the Chicago economy, driving up the value of local businesses and by extension the stock market overall. In fact, that alone might have averted the pop of the "Internet bubble", and your 401k would be rolling along.

Durn that JR. I'm sure he shorted the market and planned Sox payroll accordingly!!!:angry:

Rocklive99
10-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Thats a sorry excuse not to watch our sports championship. I did not watch the 1st 2 games because I worked. now I am disappointed becuase this 3rd game is pretty much boring. The cardinals have died and it looks like the curse is over. They have had there chances to score and blew them. I suppose its possible but just doesn't look like it.
Rich
I still watched it, but I guess it took out some of the magic for me. It's probably just some stupid little thing for me, but I had gotten excited about the matchup by thinking of it being some of the Cardinals/players (like Pujols) first trip to Fenway, and then remembering that StL was at Boston last year ruined that for me. That's just me though. And I'm sure most would agree (especially in NY), that the NYY/NYM Subway World Series didn't have the feel it should have because they had met in interleague (of course it would've helped if the Mets actually had a chance).

nitetrain8601
10-27-2004, 01:00 AM
I like the current format. Because even if one team sucks in any given year, it gives that team something to look to during the season. Not bad at all.

MUsoxfan
10-27-2004, 01:06 AM
You have your owner to thank (some say blame) for 2 series each year with interleague rivals. He knew that 3 Cub-Sox games at the Cell would sell out. That moved the number of garaunteed sell-out dates each year from 1-4. Funny, I thought you would get more fans by fielding a winning baseball team.

There is nothing wrong with these series'. For all the talk that goes back and forth every year between not only Sox and Cubs fans, but for fans of other teams (ANA/LA, NY/NY, SF/OAK etc.) why not have a home and home series every year. It makes the fans happy. I look forward to the Red Line series and all my friends look forward to the series. I'm willing to bet that you look forward to it too every year. Reinsdorf is not an evil man for wanting this. I think this is a rare instance where he wants to make his fans happy, and he succeeds in this aspect

mikef1331
10-27-2004, 03:45 AM
I like interleague, but I liked it better when they had AL central vs. NL central, AL west vs. NL west, etc. I liked when the Sox played the Cardinals and Brewers. I went up to Miller in 2001 for a Sox-Brewers game and it was awesome. Who wants to see Sox-Expos?

I also liked it when the Sox played the Brewers, but I liked it even more when they were still in our division. In fact.... send KC to the AL West and put the Brewers back in the AL Central.

Nobody want's to see the Expos, that's why they're moving to DC. :D:

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Know why? because MLB keeps trying to match up the Cubs with whomever
is the "marquee" team in the east. How many times the cubs are gonna play the AL EAST is beyond me ...........

JKryl
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM

"Playoff-like baseball"? Sure, why not, it's probably the closest we'll ever get as long as the hierarchy remains the same. And as a special favor to the fans, they'll even enhance the experience by raising the price of tickets to $44 to make you feel like you're getting ripped off just like in the big league playoffs!:angry:

pinwheels3530
10-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I was there too, and it was all Sox fans for the three game series.
The media never gave us any credit for going up there and selling out
Miller Park.

longshot7
10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Know why? because MLB keeps trying to match up the Cubs with whomever
is the "marquee" team in the east. How many times the cubs are gonna play the AL EAST is beyond me ...........
they played the AL West this year - I hadda deal with the Flubbie fans at Angel Stadium.

Hangar18
10-27-2004, 05:19 PM
I was there too, and it was all Sox fans for the three game series.
The media never gave us any credit for going up there and selling out
Miller Park.
Never Do. BUT, when the cubs go up there, all you hear CHimp and radio buffoon Pat talking is "listen to all the cub fans here, what great fans we have"
never mind that we made that trek every year, all the time. Funny how
the media acts like its the first time Fans from Chicago FLOOD a milwaukee area stadium. ALSO, when those flubby brewer games are going on...
NOTE how every single inning, 18 times at least during the game, they make
Great Pains to show every single cub fan in the stadium for road games, always setting up the the Gratutious "Look at all the cub fans here tonite" comments. They NEVER do this for the White Sox. I point this out, because of All the SOX fans I saw in KC a couple yrs ago ......... and especially in Dodger Stadium. There were so many SOX fans there, and we
whooped it up so loud when Big Frank Crushed that homer on Saturday nite.
I was told there were NO CAMERA shots of the fans every single inning.

longshot7
10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
can you post the rest of the interleague schedule?

RKMeibalane
10-27-2004, 06:50 PM
The Sox last played the NL Central in 2001.

Parrothead
10-27-2004, 08:47 PM
The Sox last played the NL Central in 2001.
I stand corrected. But anyway they should be playing the Central this year. MLB has their collective heads up their a$$.

I agree Hangar, it is all about the cash.

LAWSfan
10-29-2004, 01:48 AM
I stand corrected. But anyway they should be playing the Central this year. MLB has their collective heads up their a$$.

I agree Hangar, it is all about the cash.
From the first year of interleague play 96 or 97, MLB had the AL Central playing the NL Central, AL East-NL East etc. They kept that format until 2002. I think we should play the NL Central every third year.

Since I don't like in Chicago, I like the fact the White Sox came to LA twice in 2003 to play the Dodgers and Angels. Since 2005 is the NL West vs the AL Central, I'm hoping the White Sox coming out to Petco Park in San Diego. Petco is a very nice park.