PDA

View Full Version : Yankees may dump Brown and pay ALL of salary?!?!

santo=dorf
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
God, George must really want Brown out of New York.
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/10987662553630.xml

Yankees GM Brian Cashman was still in New York yesterday, awaiting word from team owner George Steinbrenner on when the organizational meetings would begin in Tampa, Fla. Those meetings are expected to convene at some point this week.

In the meantime, Cashman was spending his time poring over a list of free-agent pitchers and dealing with some lingering medical issues from the Yankees' season.

http://www.nj.com/images/spacer.gif
Cashman said it was far too early to talk about specific pitchers on that free-agent list. The Yankees can't even talk contract with free agents until 10 days after the end of the World Series. But one baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans said the team was planning to explore at least one interesting way to open a spot in the starting rotation.

That official said the team would make every effort to rid itself of Kevin Brown, even if that meant paying his entire $15 million salary for next season. If they were able to do that, they would have a vacant spot they could use to sign a New York-tested free-agent left-hander such as David Wells or Al Leiter, if he doesn't go back with the Mets.

Baby Fisk
10-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Wow! Let's go after Kevin Brown! He could give the Sox the "punch" they need.

Flight #24
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/10987662553630.xml
Wow. Get on the phone ASAP. "Brian - let me help you out. You can go into the meeting, and when Big Stein asks about how to dump Brown, you can tell him that you have something all lined up, and you even get back a valuable switch-hitting OF/DH in return in Carl Everett and a potential starter or middle reliever in Jason Grilli".

Dino+Grilli to the Spanks for Brown+$13mil. It's Kevin's FA year, and for a couple mil flier, why not? We can still hit the FA market for a pitcher, and take the best 3 from Garland, Contreras, Brown, FA. Heck - maybe that makes Jose into a closer (it's been rumored before).

Mickster
10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I'd take brown for nuthin'! :smile:

Wealz
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Konerko-for-Brown with the Yankees picking up all $25M in the transaction. :cool:

Mohoney
10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
I would certainly take Brown for the prorated minimum.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-26-2004, 05:32 PM
:reinsy
"A player I don't have to pay? Those are my favorite!"

mantis1212
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Yankee's are gonna end up with a $200MM payroll, with $25MM of that on OTHER TEAMS

munchman33
10-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Yankee's are gonna end up with a $200MM payroll, with $25MM of that on OTHER TEAMS:reinsy
"I'd like to see if I can get Steinbrenner to sink more money into my club than I do. Kenny, get it done."

jackbrohamer
10-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Would Brown's salary get counted against the Yankees for purposes of calculating luxury tax if they did that?

doublem23
10-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Yankee's are gonna end up with a $200MM payroll, with $25MM of that on OTHER TEAMS
http://sportsfrog.com/steinbrenner.jpg
See? We share.

akingamongstmen
10-26-2004, 11:01 PM
This has got to be the craziest thing that I've ever heard from the Yankees. Wow. I really see no reason why anybody wouldn't want to take a chance on Brown for nothing. If he sucks, he sucks. No loss. BUT, if he gets really pissed off like he did earlier in his career, he could be lights out (if he stays healthy). Bring him in here, KW.

Baby Fisk
10-27-2004, 09:49 AM
:reinsy
"I'd like to see if I can get Steinbrenner to sink more money into my club than I do. Kenny, get it done."[*snickering*] Nice one, MM33. :cool:

Flight #24
10-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Would Brown's salary get counted against the Yankees for purposes of calculating luxury tax if they did that?
Great question. That's a huge impact since their going to get hit with 40% this year above the threshhold. That right there could be a reason to trade Brown, eat the salary, and sign someone like Pedro to a smaller deal ($12mil?).

mactheknife
10-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Oh man, I would love to have brown in our lineup.

Would we have to give up anything for him? I've heard people saying we would, and people saying we wouldn't.

Nick@Nite
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
If it happens, NYC will suffer a Brown Out.:kneeslap:

Paulwny
10-28-2004, 06:05 PM
3 way trade, Brown is traded (NY eating a large portion of his salary) to a tean for prospects that the DBacks want, DBacks trade Johnson to NY for the prospects.