PDA

View Full Version : How much will the Evil Empire of the NL spend?

GiveMeSox
10-25-2004, 11:07 PM
So how much do you think the new free spending evil empire of the NL, the cubs will spend this coming season. Give your guess as of opening day 2005.

Daver
10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
:whocares

MUsoxfan
10-26-2004, 12:09 AM
While Daver has a point, I'm gonna go out and say that they won't increase payroll at all. They were already at 98% capacity for the year, and spending more money won't bring more people in. Winning isn't their top priority based on history alone. They'll probably cut payroll. That won't stop the lemmings from going to the Urinal.

daveeym
10-26-2004, 12:49 AM
While Daver has a point, I'm gonna go out and say that they won't increase payroll at all. They were already at 98% capacity for the year, and spending more money won't bring more people in. Winning isn't their top priority based on history alone. They'll probably cut payroll. That won't stop the lemmings from going to the Urinal. I think they will give it one, possibly two more tries before again milking their "fans." They are too close to just cave in. I would bet one more try and we'll watch them choke again and watch dusty start WWIII with the media and then it'll be back to the same ol same ol with the flubs.

Hangar18
10-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the Evil Corporation will push PAST 110 million and give it one more, two
more years MAX at operating at break even, then pare it down. The sheep
will become agitated, but continue to show up in droves. The Media will
also become Frustrated and Angry, knowing their chances of Eating at the MLB/Press Food Spread, and printing their Pre-Written "goat visits wrigley" and "the world loves us" stories will have to go by the wayside, and they'll be
FORCED to actually work. Carol SLeazak will have a nervous breakdown,
Mike Kiley will change his name, and Mike Murphy will bitch, moan and Pander to the fans even more. FOX News will change the stations colors to Blue & Red and move their studios to outside Clark & Addison.

Uncle_Patrick
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
While I agree with Daver's sentiments, I'll throw in my 2 cents for the sake of discussion. I think they up the payroll to at least $100 Million. They were close to the playoffs, and in their own minds they believe they should have been there (they certainly had the talent), but they've got holes to fill. Not to mention, the fans are unhappy. Many aren't as content with losing as they have been in the past. This is what was bound to happen when people started expecting them to win. Chances are, they won't be able to get rid of Sosa, or if they do they will have to eat a large chunk of his salary. They still need a reliable closer.

Also, there are strong chances that they will make moves to sign/re-sign Beltran, Nomar, and/or Magglio (among others I can't think of right now). That's going to require big bucks.

white sox bill
10-27-2004, 07:21 AM
While Daver has a point, I'm gonna go out and say that they won't increase payroll at all. They were already at 98% capacity for the year, and spending more money won't bring more people in. Winning isn't their top priority based on history alone. They'll probably cut payroll. That won't stop the lemmings from going to the Urinal.
I agree..they will draw over 3 million again regardless of payroll. Why increase? Its like a diner serving bad soup, when people are lined up at door to eat it, why change receipe and make something more expensive?

samram
10-27-2004, 08:50 AM
I agree..they will draw over 3 million again regardless of payroll. Why increase? Its like a diner serving bad soup, when people are lined up at door to eat it, why change receipe and make something more expensive?
Yeah, I've said it before- the Cubs' spending money to field a good team is bad for business. That said, they will spend $1,000,000,000 this year.

SoxFan78
10-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Where is the choice for "Who Cares"

gosox41
10-27-2004, 01:17 PM
The can always increase ticket prices. If they add $3 on each ticket, that's an extra $9 mill. Then they can up food prices. Raise the price of beer .50 cents and everything else a quarter and it'll mean that much more money.

Bob

shagar69
10-27-2004, 02:12 PM
no way in hell the cheapass tribsters let the payroll be over a 100 mil. it will probably be around 90 mil again. and the scrubs will choke, again.

MUsoxfan
10-27-2004, 04:49 PM
The can always increase ticket prices. If they add $3 on each ticket, that's an extra $9 mill. Then they can up food prices. Raise the price of beer .50 cents and everything else a quarter and it'll mean that much more money.

Bob

I heard a rumor on Mac, Jurko and Harry a few weeks ago that the Cubs are thinking about doubling the price of some single game tickets for next year. When Mac asked Harry if he would still purchase his tickets at that price, he replied, "Of course I would. That would mean my tickets are even more valuable than they are now." That's just the way most of those people up there think.