PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Cubs bias in Chicago media

BBaum21
10-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing a research paper for my journalism ethics class at Michigan State about the bias in which the Chicago media, specifically the Tribune, has towards the Cubs. We know there is a bias towards the Cubs and the White Sox get the shaft, despite the fact the Sox have been better historically.

I need some ideas about how to research this. We all know it's out there, but how could I prove it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blake

santo=dorf
10-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Buy Hangar18 a Guinness. :gulp:

pinwheels3530
10-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing a research paper for my journalism ethics class at Michigan State about the bias in which the Chicago media, specifically the Tribune, has towards the Cubs. We know there is a bias towards the Cubs and the White Sox get the shaft, despite the fact the Sox have been better historically.

I need some ideas about how to research this. We all know it's out there, but how could I prove it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blake
Hangar this is all you man........:D:

cornball
10-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Rent a truck and go over to Hanger's house. He will be able to prove it for you in many ...many volumes. He has a Phd. on the subject.

OzzieBall2004
10-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Call CBS news, Im sure Dan Rather can come up with some documents that prove there is a bias in the Chicago Tribune.

Sorry, lame joke and completely useless, but good luck on the paper.

SouthSideHitman
10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey guys,

Blake
Some obvious ones are to look at the amount of press given to each team (in terms of number of articles) and then compare their records during the given times. I would also look for the number of critical stories run about each team, ballpark, etc. I'd especially look at the Tribune's aborted attempt this year of covering the Cubs' race to 100 wins. Besides this, I'm sure there's some great quotes and/or clips to be had proving the bias. Besides these, I'm sure that Hanger is composing a lengthy post or email that will be much more helpful.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-25-2004, 09:55 PM
All you need is this snail to show the bias, it solved the Cubune's problem.

:giantsnail

DumpJerry
10-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah, Hangar could be of assistance. Send him a private message and, if possible, an email to direct his attention to your project.

You could count all the "Frank Thomas Watch" and "Magglio Ordonez Watch" sidebars in the Tribune when those two stars went on the DL. I recall someone on the Cubs being on the DL early this year and there was a "Watch" sidebar in the Trib each day until he returned and then pitched the Cubs to a division title and World Series berth..............................

You could count the newsprint inches each team recieved from Feb 1-Oct 15 this year.......

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

GiveMeSox
10-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,

Blake
This is easy. First i would cite Hangar18's chicago news media bias thread where he kept a running total of this years published articles on the sox and cubs. Second i would cite how the tribune buried the strories that were related to negative things surrounding wrigley and the cubs. For example the murder of the sox fan outside wrigley was burried as a small blip in the metro section of the tribune and in the sun times it was a front page headline. Also make not of how the tribune uses "wrigleyville" when talking about something postiive in the wrigley area and "lakeview" when someting negative or crime related. Furthermore i would look at old papers and show specific example of how the tribune would put a front page headline of a cubs loss in a meaningless game as a huge headline and cover story while the sox have a dramatic win over a divisonal rival to move into 1st is small side story with reference to page 6.

Jjav829
10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,

BlakePrimary Source. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=19771)

Hangar was born for this. Just pay him a few bucks and he'd probably love to help you write it. :D:

nodiggity59
10-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Primary Source. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=19771)

Hangar was born for this. :D:
Ya. You're paper now becomes Hangar's World Series. All of the countless threads he has posted have been preamble, the regular season if you will. Now that the grand moment is here, he dares not fail.

BTW - thanx Hangar for your diligence and informing many of us in more depth than we otherwise would have been.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Primary Source. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=19771)

Hangar was born for this. Just pay him a few bucks and he'd probably love to help you write it. :D:
We would have too many people whining about his random capitalizations and spacing.

I love how hangar posts! :D:

TDog
10-26-2004, 04:07 AM
I wish you luck. However, your professor could well consider sports reporting so insignificant that it doesn't rise to the level of real journalism. Ethical questions in the sports department concern things like getting autographs from ballplayers, a no-no that could and should get a baseball writer fired. To impress me, you would have to raise anti-trust questions.

I believe the Tribune Co. is biased, but so is so much of the rest of the media competing with the Tribune, which rather defeats your ethics argument.

34rancher
10-26-2004, 06:30 AM
You sure you want to use this topic for a paper? I think there is a doctoral thesis in there somewhere. You could also talk about how when the idiots went after Gamboa, their faces and stories were on every front page, but when someone was murdered on the doorsteps of the shrine, how the trib decided page 9 was appropriate.....

soxtalker
10-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey guys,

Blake

I'd urge you to change your topic. If you are a Sox fan (or Cub fan), how are you going to keep out your own bias? Neutral broadcasters of games such as the World Series or NBA championship often get accused of being biased toward the other team by fans of both sides. (I don't think that I realized this until the Bulls were great in the 90's.) While you can acquire data and make a presentation that will appeal to members of this board, it probably won't be judged to be very good writing -- particularly if your professor is a neutral party.

If you want to do something like this, go investigate the rivalry in another city -- e.g., NY Mets vs. Yankees.

nlentz88
10-26-2004, 09:06 AM
I think that your approach to this paper would be dependant upon your journalism professor's assignment. Is s/he looking for truly unethical practice in today's media or perhaps just an unfair bias?

If the latter, then you should probably do a count of all Cubs and Sox stories in the Trib. You can go to the library and check out microfiche or whatever format they store newspapers on these days. A simple count will tell you a lot. Random sampling of daily inches per team would also be a good way to go. Headline space, front-page stories, pictures, etc. There's endless evidence that the Tribune favors the Cubs. Their bias is blatant and without excuse. However, despite my loyalty to the White Sox, I cannot call such a bias unethical. Certainly it does not rank up there with fraud, extortion, assault, murder, genocide, etc.

Therefore, if your journalism professor is looking for examples of truly unethical behavior, you should take a different approach to your examination of the Tribune. In particular you may want to look at their coverage (or lack thereof) of the Premium ticket scalping scandal. Greg Couch over at the Sun Times did an excellent investigation of the scandal, and his stories appeared weekly. The Tribune, though, avoided the subject and tried to hide their few editorials on the matter. One such response to the claims of ticket scalping actually bore a title accusing the mayor of having a double standard in his exercise of the department of building inspection! It was a clear red herring. The Tribune-Premium Ticket-Wrigley-Cubs scandal is certainly unethical. It bears all the trappings of conflict of interest, media manipulation, and the reporting of untruths. Also, as suggested above, you could take a long look at the Tribune's coverage (again, or lack thereof) of the murder of a Sox fan outside of Wrigley. Hiding a high-profile murder story in the depths of one's paper so that one's stadium won't be blemished is another conflict of interest, and certainly unethical.

There are so many ways you could attack this assignment. I'm glad you chose to investigate the Tribune. They are truly an evil empire worthy of your journalism ethics paper. Good luck to you! I would love to read your paper when you're finished. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Early eighties. Neither team had won anything in a very long time. Then the Sox won the AL west in 83, followed by the Cubs winning the NL west in 84. Compare the coverage the next day after the clincher for each year.

For the Sox, it was a pretty big deal. For the Cubs, it was covered like the end of WWII. And they don't even have the excuse of the Cubs having been first.

eriqjaffe
10-26-2004, 11:11 AM
If you want to support your argument with a quote from an actual publication:

The Biographical History of Baseball (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572435674/qid=1098806868/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4117642-6972829?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Donald Dewey and Nicholas Acocella has a great line in their entry about Jerry Reinsdorf...

Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me, but the quote is something like, "The purchase of the rival Cubs by the Tribune Corporation resulted in 10 words being written about the Cubs for every one written about the Sox."

I'll try to look up the exact quote for you when I get home...

MrRoboto83
10-26-2004, 11:18 AM
You better hope your professor isn't a Cub's fan, or he/she might show you what being Bias is all about right on your report card!!

Hangar18
10-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Start by researching some of the Past Threads on the Subject here at WSI.
ALSO, many here also posted LINKS, so you can use them for Proof.
Simply point out how the Cubune (who promised to NOT favor the cubs with positive coverage when they purchased them back in 1981) reneged on their
promise and Outnumbers the Stories, and purposely puts negative articles about the SOX together.

ALSO, point out how the WB Network, which is a part of the Tribune Corporate Umbrella, "asked" the members of Jamie Kennedys "X" comedy troupe, to wear Cub Jerseys in their "Chicago" segments promoting the episodes that were filmed here, so as to further ingrain in the viewer/readers heads that their product is "Good" and that the Sox Product is "Bad".

Of course, you will also have to point out that alot of this problem was allowed to Escalate Unchecked by the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf themselves to the point that, after 20something years of constant promotion of the north side team, and denigrating of the south side team, the Cubs are now known as Chicagos Team. Prove that by how Comiskey
Park ISNT featured in ANY of the Current Chicago Calendars/Photo Tourist books you find on sale at Borders and Barnes & Noble. This is about 15 Titles ........... NONE feature the White Sox, almost as if they DONT EXIST.

Baby Fisk
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but Hangar also kept a running tally of Sox-related stories VS Cubs-related stories in the Chicago media all this year. Hangar: what's the latest numbers?

Hangar18
10-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but Hangar also kept a running tally of Sox-related stories VS Cubs-related stories in the Chicago media all this year. Hangar: what's the latest numbers?
The Flubs were well ahead by like 400 when I simply gave up in August ........

BBaum21
10-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I've been looking at some of the media bias stuff in the thread archives, which will help. Thanks Hangar for the help there.

Glad to see people are coming forward with suggestions. This is a topic that doesn't get much press when we know it exists. It's something we're all passionate about.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Blake
baumga31@msu.edu

jabrch
10-26-2004, 03:07 PM
My focus would be on the portrayal of the fans and the respective neighborhoods. It is a well known fact that Sox fans are low income, southside (read ghetto, not south suburbs), minorities (no offense intended) who are usually low income while the Cubs fans are mostly from the North Shore, wealthy, better educated fans. As far as the respective neighborhoods go, USCF is located in a Beirutesque area of town, while The Shrine is located 3 steps from heaven. USCF is a very dangerous place - and everyone knows about the "safety" in Wrigleyville. I'd look at crime rates also. The media clearly lets us know about how Wrigleyville is a safe area relative to USCF/Bridgeport but they never actually publish the crime statistics. I'd also look at how they term Wrigleyville/Lakeview. In the Trib, if there is something negative happening in Wrigleyville, they call it Lakeview even if the even was a murder that happened on the doorsteps of Wrigley Field as a DIRECT RESULT OF A CUBS GAME. Meanwhile, something happening sometimes up to a mile away from USCF during the offseason will be reported as having been "not far from Sox park". That makes sense to me. One final one I'd look into is the attacking of Gamboa and of Laz Diaz and compare them to the attacks on the LA Dodgers bench at Wrigley a few summers ago. Cuz only Sox fans would attack players/coaches/umps - everyone knows that.

Baby Fisk
10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
It's also worth noting that one club is owned by a media company, and the other is owned by a conglomerate of idiots. :mad:

JB98
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Another way to approach this issue is to look at how the Cubune hypes mediocre and overrated Cubs players while at the same time ignoring the efforts of more accomplished White Sox players. For the sake of argument, I would throw out the names of Mark Buerhle and Kerry Wood to use as an example.

Buerhle has been a member of the Sox starting rotation for four full seasons now. In that time, Mark has AVERAGED 16.3 wins per season and 233.1 innings pitched per season. Pretty damn good, considering that 15 wins and 200 IP are benchmarks of success for all starting pitchers. Any man who can sustain that type of success over a period of 10 or 15 years is a candidate to have his jersey number retired at the very least.

By way of comparison, Kerry Wood has never won 16 games or pitched 233 innings in ANY SINGLE SEASON DURING HIS 7-YEAR BIG-LEAGUE CAREER. Despite that, the beloved "Woody" is one of the most recognizable media figures not only in Chicago sports but in all of Chicago. That's not an accident. Every spring, we are treated to a litany of articles about how "this is the year Kid K is going to break through, win 20 games and take home the Cy Young." Of course, it never happens, but his face still appears on all the pro-Cubbie advertising in the Cubune sports section.

Meanwhile, I don't think anyone at the Cubune has ever bothered to write anything about Mark Buerhle except for the game stories the day after he pitches. He's the best pitcher we've had on the South Side since McDowell left, but he could walk down Michigan Avenue unrecognized.

There are other examples too. I think if you go back and look at the stats from the last six or seven years, you'll find that Magglio Ordonez is better than Sammy Sosa in every statistical category except for HRs. Rest assured, the editors at the Cubune are in blissful ignorance about that as well.

jabrch
10-26-2004, 04:49 PM
The big difference here is that Wood and Sosa are both media hounds. Ordonez and Buehrle are not.

Another way to approach this issue is to look at how the Cubune hypes mediocre and overrated Cubs players while at the same time ignoring the efforts of more accomplished White Sox players. For the sake of argument, I would throw out the names of Mark Buerhle and Kerry Wood to use as an example.

Buerhle has been a member of the Sox starting rotation for four full seasons now. In that time, Mark has AVERAGED 16.3 wins per season and 233.1 innings pitched per season. Pretty damn good, considering that 15 wins and 200 IP are benchmarks of success for all starting pitchers. Any man who can sustain that type of success over a period of 10 or 15 years is a candidate to have his jersey number retired at the very least.

By way of comparison, Kerry Wood has never won 16 games or pitched 233 innings in ANY SINGLE SEASON DURING HIS 7-YEAR BIG-LEAGUE CAREER. Despite that, the beloved "Woody" is one of the most recognizable media figures not only in Chicago sports but in all of Chicago. That's not an accident. Every spring, we are treated to a litany of articles about how "this is the year Kid K is going to break through, win 20 games and take home the Cy Young." Of course, it never happens, but his face still appears on all the pro-Cubbie advertising in the Cubune sports section.

Meanwhile, I don't think anyone at the Cubune has ever bothered to write anything about Mark Buerhle except for the game stories the day after he pitches. He's the best pitcher we've had on the South Side since McDowell left, but he could walk down Michigan Avenue unrecognized.

There are other examples too. I think if you go back and look at the stats from the last six or seven years, you'll find that Magglio Ordonez is better than Sammy Sosa in every statistical category except for HRs. Rest assured, the editors at the Cubune are in blissful ignorance about that as well.

Hangar18
10-26-2004, 06:05 PM
For the sake of argument, I would throw out the names of Mark Buerhle and Kerry Wood to use as an example.

Buerhle has been a member of the Sox starting rotation for four full seasons now. In that time, Mark has AVERAGED 16.3 wins per season and 233.1 innings pitched per season.

Excellent excellent point my friend. EXCELLENT!!!!! how many Commercials do we see with Kerri Wood in them? How many times do we see him on the covers of everything in sight? I remember the people at ESPN saying Magglio Ordonez was a huge Secret in Chicago, but noone bothered to ask why .......(Hint: THE CHICAGO CUB LOVING MEDIA)

The media in this town Outwardly and Actively ROOT for someone on the cubs to just even do OK, so that they can write about him. Augie Freaking Ojeda had as much press as Mark Buehrle for crying out loud. The medias to blame, but so are the White SOX for NOT MARKETING THEIR PLAYERS ALSO.

greenpeach
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Hey guys,

BlakeBEAT MICHIGAN !!!!!!!!! :bandance:

DumpJerry
10-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Excellent excellent point my friend. EXCELLENT!!!!! how many Commercials do we see with Kerri Wood in them? How many times do we see him on the covers of everything in sight? I remember the people at ESPN saying Magglio Ordonez was a huge Secret in Chicago, but noone bothered to ask why .......(Hint: THE CHICAGO CUB LOVING MEDIA)

The media in this town Outwardly and Actively ROOT for someone on the cubs to just even do OK, so that they can write about him. Augie Freaking Ojeda had as much press as Mark Buehrle for crying out loud. The medias to blame, but so are the White SOX for NOT MARKETING THEIR PLAYERS ALSO.I agree there is a strong bias, but I also agree that Uncle Jerry has done an excellent job of alienating the media. Look at the Bulls, once Michael left and they tanked, there are just the obligatory stories about them in the press. While I'm sure if you stopped someone on the street in the 90's and asked them to name 6 Bulls, they could whip out the names without effort. Now, only a true die-hard Bulls fan could do that.

If I owned the team, I would make press relations a top priority. It does not cost much $$ and it would help attract FA's who want their names in the paper as local heros. Maybe Brooks should adopt next year's slogan as "The White Sox: Chicago's Team!" There is nothing preventing the team from saying that. It has more appeal than "The Kids Can Play"..............

BBaum21
10-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Do you guys think I should contact Brooks Boyer about this to get a Sox perspective on how they're covered by the media? Could someone post his e-mail address?

RichFitztightly
10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Maybe Brooks should adopt next year's slogan as "The White Sox: Chicago's Team!" There is nothing preventing the team from saying that. It has more appeal than "The Kids Can Play"..............
"The White Sox: Chicago's Team!"

That's a damn fine idea. However, to use a slogan such as that, the White Sox may have to have some proof to back up that claim. Even if proof isn't required, rest assured the Cubs will do studies to refute that claim and could lead to a potentially embarrassing situation.

DumpJerry
10-28-2004, 07:10 AM
"The White Sox: Chicago's Team!"

That's a damn fine idea. However, to use a slogan such as that, the White Sox may have to have some proof to back up that claim. Even if proof isn't required, rest assured the Cubs will do studies to refute that claim and could lead to a potentially embarrassing situation.Let's see: Our name is the CHICAGO White Sox, we play in the city of Chicago, what more proof do we need? Let the Flubs try to say the Sox are not a Chicago team.

Oh yeah, we beat the Flubs in the World Series.

eriqjaffe
10-28-2004, 09:54 AM
If you're still intereted, here's the exact quote that I mentioned a few pages back in this thread:

"For one thing, there was the mid-decade purchase of the Cubs by the Chicago Tribune, which meant that the city's main newspaper and its associated broadcasting network devoted about 20 words to the National League club for every one spent on the White Sox."

Dewey & Acocella, "The New Biographical History Of Baseball", pg. 342. Triumph Books, Chicago IL 60605.

BBaum21
10-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks a lot for the quote. I'll be sure to use that in my paper. I'm hoping I can talk to Brooks Boyer about this. I left a message for his secretary yesterday, after he e-mailed me back.

chidavid18
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I bet it gets printed.