PDA

View Full Version : Dave Stewart Jock Strap Comments

Ron Lewis
10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Steve Dahl was trying to remember the details of Dave Stewart's tirade from years ago when he said about a specific Sox player or the whole team something to the effect that "you couldn't hold my jock strap" Does anybody remember the circumstances/season etc.

Thanks

santo=dorf
10-25-2004, 07:35 PM
I asked my Dad about this and he told me they held a giant jockstrap in the outfield as Dave Stewart got rocked by the Sox, Could somebody please post an image of this giant jockstrap?

Flight #24
10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Steve Dahl was trying to remember the details of Dave Stewart's tirade from years ago when he said about a specific Sox player or the whole team something to the effect that "you couldn't hold my jock strap" Does anybody remember the circumstances/season etc.

Thanks
IIRC, wasn't Dave Stewart arrestd for soliciting a transvestite prostitute? (no, I'm not kidding) In that light, maybe the whole jock strap incident was misinterpreted....

Dan1972
10-25-2004, 07:59 PM
It was the summer of 90 when the upstart Sox were hot on the heels of the monster Oakland A's.

There was a big series out in Oakland, and I think it was a Saturday afternoon game. The Sox won, and Stewart was upset with some of the celebration by the Sox. He was also mad at McDowell for something he did while pitching, maybe hitting someone? That part I can't remember.

What he did say in an locker room interview after the game was that no one on the Sox had with the exception of "Fisk.......Kittle......Calderon, maybe? Could Hold my jock!!"

TornLabrum
10-25-2004, 08:30 PM
It was the summer of 90 when the upstart Sox were hot on the heels of the monster Oakland A's.

There was a big series out in Oakland, and I think it was a Saturday afternoon game. The Sox won, and Stewart was upset with some of the celebration by the Sox. He was also mad at McDowell for something he did while pitching, maybe hitting someone? That part I can't remember.

What he did say in an locker room interview after the game was that no one on the Sox had with the exception of "Fisk.......Kittle......Calderon, maybe? Could Hold my jock!!"
And then the next time Oakland was in town, someone in the upper deck in left field lowered a giant jockstrap between innings.

Brian26
10-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Dan nailed it here. I heard Dahl this afternoon and was actually tempted to call in. Nobody on the show could remember the exact quote, but this is it exactly. "Fisk, Kittle,...Calderon maybe". Classic.

LongLiveFisk
10-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Yeah I remember that and I also remember thinking, "Now why would Fisk or Kittle actually WANT to carry his jock?" :D:

Flight #24
10-25-2004, 11:21 PM
All you need to know about Dave Stewart:

>January 23, 1985

Dave Stewart had his share of personal problems throughout his career, but this has got to be the highlight. After police observed him soliciting a prostitute in downtown L.A., Stewart was arrested a few minutes later in a nearby alley. Also arrested was the hooker, "Lucille." It just so happened, however, that Lucille was actually Elson Tyler, a 27-year-old 6-foot-3 unemployed laborer. ''Mr. Stewart said he was unaware that Tyler was a male until after the arrest,'' Police Cmdr. William Booth said. ''That was his statement and we have reason to believe him.'' Vice officers refused to give details of the incident but a police source said the transvestite was performing oral on Stewart.

RedPinStripes
10-25-2004, 11:31 PM
All you need to know about Dave Stewart:
I heard a real similar story much closer to home.
:ass
"What da hell are you lookin at?"

StillMissOzzie
10-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Dan nailed it here. I heard Dahl this afternoon and was actually tempted to call in. Nobody on the show could remember the exact quote, but this is it exactly. "Fisk, Kittle,...Calderon maybe". Classic

What he did say in an locker room interview after the game was that no one on the Sox had with the exception of "Fisk.......Kittle......Calderon, maybe? Could Hold my jock!!"That's pretty much how I remember it too, but I also thought that Steve Lyons was mentioned by name as well.

SMO
:gulp:

Tragg
10-26-2004, 01:04 AM

Thanks
He then said, oh there are a few that are okay....KITTLE.

Of course at that time, Kittle was about finished. But he mentioned Kittle as being okay by him.

pudge
10-26-2004, 03:20 AM
He then said, oh there are a few that are okay....KITTLE.

Of course at that time, Kittle was about finished. But he mentioned Kittle as being okay by him.
I vivdly remember him saying that Jack McDowell couldn't hold his jock. There's more to it than that, as others have posted, but I think he singled out McDowell as someone who "couldn't hold his jock."

Man I loved that '90 team.

34 Inch Stick
10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
I thought the Sox were taunting him from their dugout. I promise you Les would know the story in detail.

Hey patbooyah, when your dad has a question about the Sox, you should refer him here. For some reason I don't think Buzz follows sports all that much and if it didn't happen in Mark Grace's condo, Dan does not care about it.

eriqjaffe
10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
IIRC, McDowell made a crack along the lines of, "Well, it's not like we're going up against a Cy Young Award winner or anything," making fun of Stewart's being denied a Cy Young despite having four consecutive 20-game-win seasons...not who was responding to who, though.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Could somebody please post an image of this giant jockstrap?

Taken out of context, that's the quote of the year! :D:

ja1022
10-26-2004, 01:01 PM
This incident is mentioned in the Scott Fletcher interview featured on the WSI home page.

jshanahanjr
10-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I think he said Lyons should be selling insurance. What a sore loser! That 90 team was so much fun.:bandance:

Brian26
10-26-2004, 01:07 PM
For some reason I don't think Buzz follows sports all that much and if it didn't happen in Mark Grace's condo, Dan does not care about it.

Buzz didn't know the difference between a pitcher and an outfielder yesterday. I was actually impressed that Steve remember Stewart's name. Steve said Pat was too young to remember Stewart.

Brian26
10-26-2004, 01:08 PM
I think he said Lyons should be selling insurance. What a sore loser! That 90 team was so much fun.:bandance:

I don't remember that at all.

Brian26
10-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I heard a real similar story much closer to home.
:ass
"What da hell are you lookin at?"

Details please. Send me a PM if anything.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Ask folks and ye shall receive.

It started when the Sox went into Oakland for a weekend series June 23-25. The Sox won the first two games. The Saturday contest saw McDowell hit both McGwire and Canseco which brought the A's out of their dugout although nothing happened except some words being exchanged.

The Sunday game saw Stewart lose it on an opposite field home run by Danny Pasqua in the top of 10th to give the Sox a 3-2 win and a sweep of the series. They were at 41-25 one game out.

Afterwards Stewart was asked about the Sox when he made his 'can't hold my jock' comment. The names he mentioned as guys who 'could' were "Fisk, Kittle and Calderon...maybe." (I have the video of the comment...)

On August 20th the Sox hammered Stewart and the A's 11-1 in Chicago. McDowell got the win. Sammy Sosa hit a titanic two run home run off Stewart deep into the upper deck right down the left field line. It was in that game that fans were throwing jocks out on to the Comiskey Park field. There was more then one I can assure you since I have the video of that as well!

As mentioned Scott Fletcher does talk about this in his WSI Interview and so does Donn Pall!

Feel free to send this recap along to Steve Dahl if you wish. It will answer his question.

Lip

Brian26
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
On August 20th the Sox hammered Stewart and the A's 11-1 in Chicago. McDowell got the win. Sammy Sosa hit a titanic two run home run off Stewart deep into the upper deck right down the left field line. It was in that game that fans were throwing jocks out on to the Comiskey Park field. There was more then one I can assure you since I have the video of that as well!

I remember this game vividly because it was my last game at Old Comiskey. I was sitting in the rightfield upper deck. Sosa's homer, from that angle, looked like a monster blast. However, here's the best part of the game and the thing I remember so fondly about it: It had been a rainy day, so there was a huge (20-ft wide) puddle of water in rightfield just before the warning track. Someone on the Sox hit a deep flyball to rightfield, and wouldn't you know, Jose Canseco chased it, going directly towards the puddle. Before he could get back to the warning track, Canceso took a complete face-first belly-flop into the lake. Splash. Everyone in the park saw it coming, and Jose let it happen. I think the batter ended up getting a triple on the play, and Canseco got up soaking wet, as the rightfield bleachers rode him like a whore for the rest of the game. What a great night. I think I remember the Sox pulling within 4 games after that victory...not sure if they ever got closer than that for the rest of the year.

It was a classic night at the old park too. Because it was rainy, hot, and humid, that traditional Old Comiskey fog seemed to settle into the park. It was probably a combination of fog and smoke from the fireworks. With the arc lights turned on, the park had a cool, ghostly appearance, like it knew it wasn't meant to be long for the world. I'll never forget that.

Dan1972
10-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Brian, was that game before or after Lee Stevens ?

Man Soo Lee
10-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Brian, was that game before or after Lee Stevens ? The Lee Stevens game was in the next series. The Sox took two out of three from Oakland to move within 5 games, then picked up another half game the next day against California.

Oakland lost a day game at Detroit, so the Sox would have been 3.5 out if not for Stevens' two-out, three-run homer off of Thigpen.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Brian:
I know what you are talking about. I have the video of that play where Jose played splish-splash.

Lip

mrwag
10-26-2004, 08:59 PM
LAst week I watched my old videos of the last night game and day game at Old Comiskey. Man, those were some great times. What a team. If our team today only had half of their enthusiasm and spark...

California Sox
10-26-2004, 09:58 PM
That's pretty much how I remember it too, but I also thought that Steve Lyons was mentioned by name as well.

SMO
:gulp:
Steve Lyons wasn't on the 1990 team. That's why they were so much better. :smile:

Brian26
10-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Steve Lyons wasn't on the 1990 team. That's why they were so much better. :smile:
Lyons played a crucial role on the 1990 team. He even dropped his pants in Detroit.

Brian26
10-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Brian:
I know what you are talking about. I have the video of that play where Jose played splish-splash.

Lip
Would love to get a copy of that from you someday.

RedPinStripes
10-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Details please. Send me a PM if anything.
I heard from a few people that North was busted about 10 years back for picking up a "hooker". Not sure if he knew it was really a man before or after the cops showed up.

:chunks

California Sox
10-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Lyons played a crucial role on the 1990 team. He even dropped his pants in Detroit.
My mistake. He only got 146 ABs, which is why the team was so much better. Ventura instead of Lyons is the best upgrade of a position in Sox history.

Brian26
10-26-2004, 11:08 PM
My mistake. He only got 146 ABs, which is why the team was so much better. Ventura instead of Lyons is the best upgrade of a position in Sox history.
Lyons played a ton of games for the Sox in '90, mostly at first base. I think he even played all 9 positions in a game down the stretch.

California Sox
10-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Lyons played a ton of games for the Sox in '90, mostly at first base. I think he even played all 9 positions in a game down the stretch.
Yeah, I think he did. I've got to confess, Lyons is, in my opinion, the worst everyday player the Sox have had in my time as a fan. (And yeah, I'm including Kevin Bell.) Lyons was brutal in the field at almost every position, a terrible hitter and a complete lunkhead on the bases. And I loved the '90 team, so I think I just forgot he was on it so as not to tarnish my memory. :wink:

Lip Man 1
10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
The nine positions in a game that Lyons played was versus the Cubs in the annual Crosstown Classuc exhibition in April of that year. I have the tape of that game.
Lip

Brian26
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
The nine positions in a game that Lyons played was versus the Cubs in the annual Crosstown Classuc exhibition in April of that year. I have the tape of that game.
Lip

Lip-

Do you have the '87 Crosstown Classic from Old Comiskey that had the fog bowl and Bruce Wolf doing Chet Chitchat with Drysdale in the booth?

Wolf told a great story awhile back about doing Chet Chitchat live...and he was trying to recall great #10 players in Sox history but froze up, and Double-D slid him a note while he was talking, and the note said "Dick Allen".

Lip Man 1
10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Brian:

Sorry...I have the 86, 90 and 92 games on tape.

Lip