PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Struggling in AFL

Wealz
10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.

MarkEdward
10-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Anderson is having a tough time in the AFL .184/.319/.316 (38 AB's). Coming on the heels of a tough final 4-5 weeks in Birmingham I think his development is somewhat of a cause for concern at the moment.
I think you're reading into a small sample size a bit too much. Can we give him, like, a full season of failure in Birmingham before we say his progress has been hindered?

OEO Magglio
10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Anderson barely played the last couple weeks with Birmingham, maybe now he's just trying to get back playing, he'll be fine, you're making to much out of this.

Wealz
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.

MarkEdward
10-25-2004, 11:01 PM
All I'm saying is Anderson's first 330 proffesional AB's were very good, his last 150 have not been very good. The vast majority of those first 330 AB's came in high single-A where he was a little old for the league too.

Are there legitimate reasons for concern with him here? I don't know, but I'd certainly have liked to see him hit better against the tougher competition.
Unless he continues to struggle over an extended period of time (like something over 400 ABs), I see no cause for concern. Anything can happen in 40 ABs... hell, anything can happen in 150 ABs. Hector Ortiz hit .386/.443/.455 in 88 ABs for the 2000 Royals. He never amounted to anything.

California Sox
10-26-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't think there is cause for concern yet. Look at his bb/k ratio. Even hitting .189 he's got 8 walks and 7 strikeouts. Plus, it's 38 AB's. As far as the end of his season is concerned, he was tearing up the Southern League until he had injuries and illness. I don't think this is a Borchard situation, where the more you looked inside the numbers, the more worried you got. I think Anderson'll be fine. Maybe not a superstar, but a productive major leaguer.

rdivaldi
10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
You have the numbers wrong Wealz, he's currently .217/.339/.391 in 46 at bats with 9 BB and 8 K.

It's definitely too small a sample size to be concerned, and it's good to see Brian taking more walks.

Wealz
10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.

doublem23
10-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I see where Anderson pitched 2/3 of an inning the other day in the AFL. I'm sure it was a case of the team running out of pitchers, however I'd be very surprised if Williams isn't highly upset at the manager of the team for this. It's a good way for a position player to blow out their arm.
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.

Wealz
10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
2/3 of an inning? Are you kidding me? That could be 1 pitch.
He, or rather Brian Anderson (I suppose it could be another Brian Anderson), faced 8 hitters gave up 4 hits, 4 runs (2 earned) and walked 1.

California Sox
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.

Soxzilla
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
That's hilarious. Anderson has been wantingto pitch and keeping his arm in shape for the opportunity according to the interview he did with mlb radio. Too bad he didn't pitch better, we need a rightfielder and bullpen help, getting both from one guy would give us roster space for team mascot Sandy Alomar Jr.
:reinsy
"And it'd be cheap too!"

California Sox
10-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Anderson's had a decent week. He leads his team in homers and rbi even though he's only hitting .232. He's the least of our worries in the minors IMHO.

santo=dorf
10-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Wealz! Read this from Rotoworld:

Brian Anderson homered, singled, walked twice and stole three bases for Mesa of the AFL yesterday.
Anderson entered the game 11-for-53, giving him a .208 average

SoxFanTillDeath
11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Sounds pretty good to me...he's not one-dimensional (power), and that's what I like.

skobabe8
11-11-2004, 10:55 PM
I caught him in action on Monday playing for Mesa. He went 0-4 with 3 Ks. I was just happy to see put the bat on the ball and ground out in his last at bat. He looks llike he's just not picking up anything offspeed. On the brighter side, Pedro Lopez looked good at second. He turned a sweet dp at the pivot with the runner right on top of him. He's got soft hands. He layed down a sac bunt his first at bat. Not something you see every day by a guy in a sox uniform! :smile:

rdivaldi
11-15-2004, 10:41 AM
After a pretty good weekend Anderson's numbers are starting to look a bit more tolerable. Currently:

.238/.354/.388

and rising...