PDA

View Full Version : 83' Sox vs 04' Cardinals

mike squires
10-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Who is the better team? IMO that is a tough call. I'd have to give a slight edge to thee Whitesox due to their starting pitching. Very few on their squad match up with Hoyt, Dotson and even Bannister that year. Plus the speed of Law and Cruz. We all know what would ahve happened if these two teams have met though. I'm sure their Japenenze left fielder would have hit a dinger in the 10th to win it... What is your take on which team is better?

batmanZoSo
10-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Who is the better team? IMO that is a tough call. I'd have to give a slight edge to thee Whitesox due to their starting pitching. Very few on their squad match up with Hoyt, Dotson and even Bannister that year. Plus the speed of Law and Cruz. We all know what would ahve happened if these two teams have met though. I'm sure their Japenenze left fielder would have hit a dinger in the 10th to win it... What is your take on which team is better?

Yes, glad you specified "which team is better" because regardless, we'd choke. I could see So Taguchi pumping his fist in the air right now.

On paper, I'd say the 83 Sox are better than both. I don't know how they didn't go all the way...oh, wait, we're the Sox...but that team was one HELL of a team by all acounts I've heard, seen and read about. Just looking at the team stats is like "wow." I was only a year old then, so I couldn't tell you too much, but just going on stats, that team appears to have had everything. The Red Sox aren't much in the field and don't have any speed. The Cardinals don't have much speed either outside of Womack and Renteria, and they don't have a great starting staff. Neither team has as good of a staff as the 83 Sox did that one year. And their 800 runs then is equivalent to about 920 today, so they can hit with either of them.

Ah, Chicago fans...

This is all we got.

Hangar18
10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
1983 White Sox, hands down. Championships are won by teams
with Strong #1 Type Pitchers. The fact that we also had Rich Dotson,
and supplemented with FA signing (still cant believe we went and got an excellent pitcher and paid him $$$) Floyd Bannister. To top that off,
we had a real #5 Starter in Britt Burns. What a staff that was.

Not sure why the SOX dont try to mold all future staffs this way .......