PDA

View Full Version : Foulke

TommyJohn
10-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Heard on WEEI Boston tonight:

"He [Keith Foulke] has been a tower of strength for the Red Sox this postseason." Nice. Where the was this Keith Foulke person during the
2000 playoffs? :angry: :angry: :angry:

dpbyron
10-24-2004, 11:40 PM
He was a tower of poo... just like in 2001, 2002 (Before he said he couldn't handle being closer)

Figures.

Blueprint1
10-25-2004, 12:17 AM
wa wa wa foulke foulke foulke im sick of hearing about it

idseer
10-25-2004, 12:38 AM
wow! you got sound here?

Foulke You
10-25-2004, 01:09 AM
With every World Series and Post Season save that Foulke gets, it shows the lack of foresight that our organization had. Bottom line. Even though Foulke wasn't good in the 2000 playoffs, we wouldn't have won that division without him and he obviously learned from that experience in the ALDS. He was young then, and the White Sox should have realized they had a good thing going. I honestly blame Manuel for Foulke's departure. He never gave Foulke the closer job back in 2002 and handed it to the great Antonio Osuna at the same time complaining to the Chicago media that Foulke didn't have "traditional" closer stuff because he didn't have a blazing fastball. KW foolishly indulged our dumb manager by getting a fastball hurler in Koch and we all know how well that worked out.

Foulke You
10-25-2004, 01:14 AM
He was a tower of poo... just like in 2001, 2002 (Before he said he couldn't handle being closer)

Figures.
2001 stats= 2.33 ERA, 75K, 22BB, 42 Saves Just Terrible

2002 stats (his worst year as a White Sox where he really only had one bad month) he still posted a 2.90 ERA, 58Ks, and 13BB.

If we would have gotten half of this "Tower of Poo" from Billy Koch, everyone would have been dancing in the streets.

hitlesswonder
10-25-2004, 01:49 AM
2001 stats= 2.33 ERA, 75K, 22BB, 42 Saves Just Terrible

2002 stats (his worst year as a White Sox where he really only had one bad month) he still posted a 2.90 ERA, 58Ks, and 13BB.

If we would have gotten half of this "Tower of Poo" from Billy Koch, everyone would have been dancing in the streets.
You know, some people will just never believe he was/is a good reliever . That's just the way it is. For what it's worth, I think your're right. He was/is a good closer. And it's ironic that Koch lost his job to Takatsu, who's ten times the junkballer Foulke is (talk about not being a power closer).

TommyJohn
10-25-2004, 01:51 AM
I post one little humorous post about Foulke and I'm going wa wa? Stuff a
sock in it.

Blueprint1
10-25-2004, 02:01 AM
I post one little humorous post about Foulke and I'm going wa wa? Stuff a
sock in it.
post it with the 10,000 other discussions about this. It was a bad trade everyone knows that.

SOXSINCE'70
10-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Is this the same Foulke who gave up a towering 3 run shot
to Jason Giambi in an 8-2 loss in '02 (the Sox went into
that inning with a 2-1 lead)??Is this the same Foulke
who blew countless saves in Seattle,Minnesota,Oakland,
et al?? Is this the same Foulke who allowed "Bad Vlad"
(then an Expo) to untie a 1-1 game with a game winning
dinger in the top of the ninth on a June night in 2002??

PILLAR OF STRENGTH MY YOU KNOW WHAT!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :rolleyes:

JRIG
10-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Is this the same Foulke who gave up a towering 3 run shot
to Jason Giambi in an 8-2 loss in '02 (the Sox went into
that inning with a 2-1 lead)??Is this the same Foulke
who blew countless saves in Seattle,Minnesota,Oakland,
et al?? Is this the same Foulke who allowed "Bad Vlad"
(then an Expo) to untie a 1-1 game with a game winning
dinger in the top of the ninth on a June night in 2002??

PILLAR OF STRENGTH MY YOU KNOW WHAT!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :rolleyes:
Closers blow games sometimes?? Who'd a thunk it!

Hangar18
10-25-2004, 10:38 AM
With every World Series and Post Season save that Foulke gets, it shows the lack of foresight that our organization had. Bottom line. Even though Foulke wasn't good in the 2000 playoffs, we wouldn't have won that division without him and he obviously learned from that experience in the ALDS. He was young then, and the White Sox should have realized they had a good thing going. I honestly blame Manuel for Foulke's departure. He never gave Foulke the closer job back in 2002 and handed it to the great Antonio Osuna at the same time complaining to the Chicago media that Foulke didn't have "traditional" closer stuff because he didn't have a blazing fastball. KW foolishly indulged our dumb manager by getting a fastball hurler in Koch and we all know how well that worked out.
POST OF THE YEAR, I nominate. Sure, he had some blown saves, but mostly because Manuel kept using him in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, because the rest of our bullpen was stinking for a while back then. Bottom line, dont believe the "he doesnt have 'closer' stuff" bs, Foulkie
was Arbitration Eligible, and the SOX again, tried to slip out the back door
while Dessert was being Served to avoid paying the "check". They Never Learn. Weve been looking for a "closer" ever since, fitting since our bullpen has been one of the many reasons we havnt won a division.

gosox41
10-25-2004, 11:34 AM
I was going to bring up Foulke to after reading Downey's article in the Trib. Of course for those who don't know I was against the trade from Day 1.

But here's a quote, I presume between Mike Downey and of course Foulke:

'Keith, would you talk about...?' says Downey.

'Kenny Williams?' Foulke interuppted with a laugh.

So here's my question, what happened between Foulke and Williams? Other then being traded by him, did Williams have any say in the use of Foulke out of the bullpen or was it all Manuel?

Or maybe this is just a one sided conversation that is completely made up to make KW look bad.

Bob

CubKilla
10-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Closers blow games sometimes?? Who'd a thunk it!I know that's a jolt to some. Even the Great Gagne blew more than a handful this season. Shocking :o: .

Flight #24
10-25-2004, 02:40 PM
I was going to bring up Foulke to after reading Downey's article in the Trib. Of course for those who don't know I was against the trade from Day 1.

But here's a quote, I presume between Mike Downey and of course Foulke:

'Keith, would you talk about...?' says Downey.

'Kenny Williams?' Foulke interuppted with a laugh.

So here's my question, what happened between Foulke and Williams? Other then being traded by him, did Williams have any say in the use of Foulke out of the bullpen or was it all Manuel?

Or maybe this is just a one sided conversation that is completely made up to make KW look bad.

Bob
Or maybe just a quote with absolutely no context provided that can be interpreted in 100 different ways depending on your point of view. Was the reporter a ChiSox beat guy? Someone who'd interviewed Keith after he was dealt from the Sox? Who knows.

gosox41
10-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Or maybe just a quote with absolutely no context provided that can be interpreted in 100 different ways depending on your point of view. Was the reporter a ChiSox beat guy? Someone who'd interviewed Keith after he was dealt from the Sox? Who knows.
It was in Mike Downey's column. It sounded like he approached Foulke. Maybe I read it wrong. But I was just curious because to this day I'll never understand the logic KW used in first trading Foulke, and second, trading him for a lesser pitcher that would just make comparisons between the 2 that much easier and obvious.

Plus, I've heard stories that early on KW was dictating to Manuel who should be playing which is why we saw so much of Julio Ramirez in '01. Don't know if that is true or accurate, but we all know KW likes to berate players to other teams and in the clubhouse.

Bob

Flight #24
10-25-2004, 02:51 PM
It was in Mike Downey's column. It sounded like he approached Foulke. Maybe I read it wrong. But I was just curious because to this day I'll never understand the logic KW used in first trading Foulke, and second, trading him for a lesser pitcher that would just make comparisons between the 2 that much easier and obvious.

Plus, I've heard stories that early on KW was dictating to Manuel who should be playing which is why we saw so much of Julio Ramirez in '01. Don't know if that is true or accurate, but we all know KW likes to berate players to other teams and in the clubhouse.

Bob
Berating players is a long way from dictating PT. And the quote from Downey was "a reporter", not "this reporter". Regardless, even if it were Downey, as a Chicago guy, Keith might well assume he'd be asked about the ChiSox. Or maybe he was going to discuss how he was disappointed that KW didn't take his side against Manuel. Or any number of reasons.