PDA

View Full Version : Sox should stay on ESPN 1000, 670 AM sucks!

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
I hate hearing all this talk about bad relations between the sox and ESPN 1000. I think that radio station is one of the best and most popular ever in Chicago. They have superior programming and personalties to 670 and their shows are top notch. Mike and Mike, Mariotti, Dan Patrick, the hilarious Mac Jurko and Harry, Silby and Carmen. Come on there programming is 100x better than the crap on the 670 with boers and borstein, north, hood and those clows over there. ESPN 1000 is huge. It has the ESPN name and great reporters like Bruce Levine who are the best in the business. WHy would the sox want to move to a less popular crappier channel with a huge cubs following.

670 is all cubs and really the hosts are most anti-sox. Plus 670 doens't have half the exposure as ESPN 1000. ESPN has all the national shows that people like to hear plus the best promotions and giveways they are part of the neighborhood. All the free bees like thursday ticket window, alll the contests, the jay walking, the trivia winners its a great station. When I listen to 670 it just seems like a lower class compared to ESPN 1000 and that they aren't as part of the city as ESPN with its more respectable hosts. The sox should definatly not change to 670.

Even here at Purdue guys from far away listen to ESPN 1000 as there sports channel no one even knows what 670 am is. No one cares. Everyone can listen to Dan Patrick and MIke and MIke and people they know. The sox would be stupid to change to 670 AM, especially if it was becuase of contract BS becuase they would be hurting themselves in the long run. If i were the sox i would make sure i sign a deal with the most popular listended to and recongizable station in town not already known for cubs shows, that would be ESPN 1000.

santo=dorf
10-24-2004, 05:40 PM
I would rather see them go to FM radio. It sounds so much better.

DrCrawdad
10-24-2004, 05:43 PM
I hate hearing all this talk about bad relations between the sox and ESPN 1000. I think that radio station is one of the best and most popular ever in Chicago. They have superior programming and personalties to 670 and their shows are top notch. Mike and Mike, Mariotti, Dan Patrick, the hilarious Mac Jurko and Harry, Silby and Carmen. Come on there programming is 100x better than the crap on the 670 with boers and borstein, north, hood and those clows over there. ESPN 1000 is huge. It has the ESPN name and great reporters like Bruce Levine who are the best in the business. WHy would the sox want to move to a less popular crappier channel with a huge cubs following. 670 is all cubs and really the hosts are most anti-sox. Plus 670 doens't have half the exposure as ESPN 1000. ESPN has all the national shows that people like to hear plus the best promotions and giveways they are part of the neighborhood. All the free bees like thursday ticket window, alll the contests, the jay walking, the trivia winners its a great station. When I listen to 670 it just seems like a lower class compared to ESPN 1000 and that they aren't as part of the city as ESPN with its more respectable hosts. The sox should definatly not change to 670. Even here at Purdue guys from far away listen to ESPN 1000 as there sports channel no one even knows what 670 am is. No one cares. Everyone can listen to Dan Patrick and MIke and MIke and people they know. The sox would be stupid to change to 670 AM, especially if it was becuase of contract BS becuase they would be hurting themselves in the long run. If i were the sox i would make sure i sign a deal with the most popular listended to and recongizable station in town not already known for cubs shows, that would be ESPN 1000.

I hope the Sox switch to 670AM. The 670 signal is much, much better than 1000AM out here in the western burbs.

One style comment on your post, I suggest using the RETURN key every once in awhile. That would make it easier to read.

benjamin
10-24-2004, 06:35 PM
How exactly does it matter what station the Sox are on?

If you prefer to waste time listening to AM1000's group of complete morons share their completely moronic opinions about sports over that of AM670's group of complete morons, go right on ahead and do so. For the most part, I too prefer AM1000's morons to those at AM670, but that wouldn't stop me from tuning to AM780 if that's where the Sox broadcast was.

It's not like Mike and Mike and Dan Patrick will no longer allow you to listen to the hot air coming out of their mouths anymore if you suddenly were forced to tune to AM670, or even an FM station, for a few hours during the evening to hear the Sox broadcast.

DannyCaterFan
10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
The folks at ESPN are mad a Reinsdorf for not letting them re-configure their current contract. Additionally, Reinsdorf is going out of his way to avoid the people at ESPN. It was very evident this past season that ESPN's interest in the Sox has waned. While I have always thought that Dave Wills did a great job with post game programming, and I also loved the expertise of Baseball guru Bruce Levine, just listen to the rest of the programming to hear a Cubs flavor.
Just this past week listening to Marriotti, everytime they talked about the Red Sox or Cardinals winning championships, they would ask the audience repeatedly, What do the Cubs have to do to get to that level? Hey! I thought this was the White Sox flagship station. Never once do they talk about the Sox as the home of the Cubs, WGN, talks about the Cubs.
There should be a White Sox flavor to all of their local broadcasts.
No problem with me if they move to the Score 670. Maybe they will give the Sox the coverage they deserve.

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 09:31 PM
The folks at ESPN are mad a Reinsdorf for not letting them re-configure their current contract. Additionally, Reinsdorf is going out of his way to avoid the people at ESPN. It was very evident this past season that ESPN's interest in the Sox has waned. While I have always thought that Dave Wills did a great job with post game programming, and I also loved the expertise of Baseball guru Bruce Levine, just listen to the rest of the programming to hear a Cubs flavor.
Just this past week listening to Marriotti, everytime they talked about the Red Sox or Cardinals winning championships, they would ask the audience repeatedly, What do the Cubs have to do to get to that level? Hey! I thought this was the White Sox flagship station. Never once do they talk about the Sox as the home of the Cubs, WGN, talks about the Cubs.
There should be a White Sox flavor to all of their local broadcasts.
No problem with me if they move to the Score 670. Maybe they will give the Sox the coverage they deserve.
What makes you think 670 would be any different. They are already renown for being a cubbie hype and bandwagon media outlet. We have even already had a physical feud with the moring cub show on that station and the host. What im saying if it aint broke dont fix it. The promotion ESPN 1000 does with the sox is the best i have ever seen. Everywhere the station goes it reminds people it is "your home for the chicago white sox". With the ESPN name then linked the sox, at least in our town.

1951Campbell
10-24-2004, 10:20 PM
How exactly does it matter what station the Sox are on?

A strong signal equals fans. Don't you think that KMOX's strong signal across the plains means more fans for the Cards? Also, I grew up 15 miles north of Milwaukee, and we got every WMAQ game loud and clear back in the day. I'm sure the Sox could turn on some folks in Southeast Wisconsin who are understandably sick of the Brewers.

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 11:25 PM
A strong signal equals fans. Don't you think that KMOX's strong signal across the plains means more fans for the Cards? Also, I grew up 15 miles north of Milwaukee, and we got every WMAQ game loud and clear back in the day. I'm sure the Sox could turn on some folks in Southeast Wisconsin who are understandably sick of the Brewers.
Thats why FM makes no sense for sports. No one used FM for sports, only AM. THe AM signal is not limited to the horizon as FM is becuase it bounces sinusiodly off the surface than the upper stratoshpere and over again. That is how ESPN 1000 has so many lisnters in the Nashville, TN area. If anyone has ever drove through there or listend to sox postagame you will notice there are an abundance of Nashville listeners, i think its cool. The wave bounces back to earth right over nashville.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2004, 11:41 PM
The White Sox were on FM stations exclusively in 1971 and 1972. Of course that's because they were so bad in 1968, 1969 and 1970 that NO radio station in the Chicago area placed a bid for their games when the rights expired.

Lip

CLSoxFan
10-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Thats why FM makes no sense for sports. No one used FM for sports, only AM. THe AM signal is not limited to the horizon as FM is becuase it bounces sinusiodly off the surface than the upper stratoshpere and over again. That is how ESPN 1000 has so many lisnters in the Nashville, TN area. If anyone has ever drove through there or listend to sox postagame you will notice there are an abundance of Nashville listeners, i think its cool. The wave bounces back to earth right over nashville.
That's also why 670 is better than 1000 for the Sox. WSCR is a clear signal channel, and ESPN isn't. I get sick of the 1000 signal dying out here in Crystal Lake after sundown - then I'm stuck listening to Hawk and DJ, and I'm guessing most agree they blow. Bring on Rooney and Farmer on The Score!

soxnut
10-24-2004, 11:51 PM
670 is the way to go--period. Better signal=more listeners=more Sox fans. The Score "talent" is 3rd rate, but who cares. I don't listen to them anymore, but I'd certainly turn on 670 for the Sox.

BigEdWalsh
10-25-2004, 12:49 AM

:D: I'm in southeastern WI and couldn't agree more. There are nights when AM1000 just doesn't come in very well. It's very frustrating. I'd love it if the Sox were on 670. Though I hate 670, The Score I don't care for much on 1000 either. All that matters is the Sox games (well, The Bulls too).

I_Liked_Manuel
10-25-2004, 02:24 AM
1000 starts fading out in batavia....i can hear 670 in des moines. that's all i need to know.

soxtalker
10-25-2004, 08:01 AM
I live near the airport, and I never saw much difference in signal quality between the two stations. Then last week I had to drive downstate. WSCR came in loud and clear most of the way down to Bloomington. ESPN didn't show up outside of the immediate Chicago area.

I'd be less concerned about the current on-air announcers. If WSCR becomes the flagship station for the Sox, there will be more Sox talk on the station. The station management will want to see the broadcasts promoted. It won't change to all Sox, but there will be more.

SOXSINCE'70
10-25-2004, 08:12 AM
I would rather see them go to FM radio. It sounds so much better.

I like your sig,but it's a dream at best.And seeing as Randy Johnson
turns 42 in 2005,is it worth the risk????

SOXSINCE'70
10-25-2004, 08:19 AM
"The coverage they deserve"??

On a station with with bandwagon jumpers like Mike North
(there's one reason to listen to Howard Stern) and that butt
kissing sCrUBbie weasel Mike Murphy?? And then there's Jonathon
Hood,who calls himself a Sox fan,but gives the sCrUBS more
coverage.If it weren't for Laurence Holmes,the Sox would
get no coverage on the "SNORE".:angry: :angry:

Must be a different "Score" station
that you're talking about.

Hangar18
10-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Mike & Mike in the mornings are ............ TERRIBLE. Theyre great at Football
talk. Thats it. I like hearing that nitwit Talent Golic try to talk Ncaa Basketball, or NBA basketball, or better yet, hearing him talk Baseball. Hes a complete idiot. Their subjects are Tired, already talked about, and they State the Obvious. The planning they do on their shows consists of Golic
simply REGURGITATING some columnist in USA TOday (or elsewhere) opinion
and Going with it, as if they really feel that way.
What particularly drives me nuts, and you guys will notice this, is they start
to talk about something ... AND NEVER GET TO THE POINT, or they make a
long long terribly winded speech before they get to the topic. Awful.

Heres an example of something they talked about recently:
" Ok welcome to the morning show, our topic today............. is does it feel better to beat a team, and get to the WS and Lose, or does beating the team in itself good? SO in other words ......If your the Red Sox, ......
do you ....as a Red Sox Player......., feel that, in your long winded history and fighting and debacles and long............. historical feud with the Yankees................... feel that beating them to get to the WS, will you feel great? brutal

santo=dorf
10-25-2004, 10:12 AM
I like your sig,but it's a dream at best.And seeing as Randy Johnson
turns 42 in 2005,is it worth the risk????:hijacked: :tsk:

He sure pitched great last year when he was 41 didn't he?

DrCrawdad
10-25-2004, 10:49 AM
1000 starts fading out in batavia....i can hear 670 in des moines. that's all i need to know.

1000 breaks up here in Lisle/Naperville, generally that's once the sunsets but of course the Sox play most of their games after the sunsets.

As a longtime Sox fan I want a strong AM signal. The Sox have a history of broadcasting on 670. In fact I still have my Grundig radio programmed with 670 AM being SOX.

Dub25
10-25-2004, 02:33 PM
I hope the Sox go to the score. That would mean many summer nights without hearing cub moron Mike Murphy. I would love to see his face if he was ever told that the Sox will be in many of his time slots.

GiveMeSox
10-25-2004, 04:19 PM
1000 breaks up here in Lisle/Naperville, generally that's once the sunsets but of course the Sox play most of their games after the sunsets.

As a longtime Sox fan I want a strong AM signal. The Sox have a history of broadcasting on 670. In fact I still have my Grundig radio programmed with 670 AM being SOX.
ESPN 1000 comes in fine here at Purdue in West Lafayette, it works the whole drive down I-65. Granted the signal does fade and become staticy at night, but they all do. Which leads to my next point, why does the AM signal fade so much when the sun goes down? And why is it more significant to AM 1000 than to 670 AM. ANd if AM 1000 knows this why haven't they upgraded their signal or tower to reach more people and improve their signal?