PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kolb on the block?

Mohoney
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Ken Rosenthal from The Sporting News seems to think so. In his "Inside Dish" column in the Oct. 11 issue, he mentions that the Rockies will try to acquire a closer, and mentions Jorge Julio and Dan Kolb as guys that might be available.

Kolb is arbitration eligible, and maybe the Brewers will be scared to offer it to him after his breakout season.

My question is, how would you guys feel about getting Kolb to close and moving Shingo into a setup role? What could we give up to get him?

santo=dorf
10-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I think the closer's role is so overrated, and this guy is a prime example of that. He is the anti-closer as he doesn't strike anyone out (except for the Cubs) and he depends on the defense to make plays behin him. How many closers were crappy starters? Hell, let's teach Felix a new pitch and hand him the closer's role!

:bkoch:
"I had a great year closing the year before I was traded to the Sox."

Mohoney
10-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I think the closer's role is so overrated, and this guy is a prime example of that. He is the anti-closer as he doesn't strike anyone out (except for the Cubs) and he depends on the defense to make plays behin him. How many closers were crappy starters? Hell, let's teach Felix a new pitch and hand him the closer's role!

:bkoch:
"I had a great year closing the year before I was traded to the Sox."
Ok, I see your point. But at least admit to me that our bullpen is in trouble and needs to be significantly upgraded if we're going to have a chance.

I'm just pitching an idea out there.

Win1ForMe
10-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Dan Kolb was pretty sucky after the All-Star break (0-3, 4.88 ERA, 4 BLSV).

Milw
10-23-2004, 05:46 PM
The Brewers' new owner plans to increase payroll by about 50% this year. I'm thinking Kolb won't be available, not that I'd want him anyway.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2004, 01:11 PM
The closers role is NOT overrated. See 'genius' Theo Epstein and the 2003 Red Sox who quickly moved to end their inept experiment by signing Keith Foulke.

Lip

CubKilla
10-24-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't think Kolb automatically vaults over Takatsu as the '05 closer at this point. But Kolb is a definite upgrade over M Jackson and Kolb is probably better suited to be used as Ozzie did M Jackson this season.

Mohoney
10-24-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't think Kolb automatically vaults over Takatsu as the '05 closer at this point. But Kolb is a definite upgrade over M Jackson and Kolb is probably better suited to be used as Ozzie did M Jackson this season.
Not automatically, no. I'm just looking at this the exact same way you are, as a way to acquire depth. You're going to need more than one guy capable of closing, anyway.

benjamin
10-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Not automatically, no. I'm just looking at this the exact same way you are, as a way to acquire depth. You're going to need more than one guy capable of closing, anyway.
I would be scared of Kolb. Two seasons ago he was a Fastball/Slider guy who was clearly a power pitcher who racked up his fair share of strikeouts.

All of a sudden this year he relied almose exclusively on a sinking fastball to get a bunch of groundballs.

My guess is that his arm isn't being held together by much more than strings and he was able to gut it out this year. Guts I like, but he doesn't exactly look primed for dominance in the near future.

OEO Magglio
10-24-2004, 11:19 PM
The closers role is NOT overrated. See 'genius' Theo Epstein and the 2003 Red Sox who quickly moved to end their inept experiment by signing Keith Foulke.

Lip
I agree with Lip. :o: Statistically it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to get a save, however there is a certain mind set for people to close them out, only certain amount of guys can close games, this is why a bunch of great setup men can't close, just ask Latroy Hawkins.

bartmanisgod
10-25-2004, 01:59 AM
The closers role is NOT overrated. See 'genius' Theo Epstein and the 2003 Red Sox who quickly moved to end their inept experiment by signing Keith Foulke. Lip
I'll agree with Lip that Theo Epstein is pretty much a genius... (what is he like 25... long sucessful career for this guy)... however, I think it is also easy to be a genius when your rolling out with nearly 130 million dollars and you can pick up guys like Schilling and Foulke and add them to your already 110 mil payroll!

Lip Man 1
10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Bart:

'Genius' was in quotes. In normal writing that is used to mean an ironic or sarcastic meaning.

Perhaps I should have used teal but I figured it would be understood.

Guess I was wrong. Epstein is now 30 by the way.

Lip