PDA

View Full Version : Can Mike Lowell Really Be Had?

Hangar18
10-23-2004, 02:00 PM
I wanted to post this this morning, had an interesting conversation
with some SOX fans last nite. They really like Lowell and think the SOX
should do anything and everything to get him, including trading Joe
Crede to the Marlins. I never thought one way or the other about it,
but I do like this idea. Of course, theres the situation involving Money

:reinsy
"Forget it Hangar. Dont you remember? This is a small-market, we
just cant afford a guy like him"

The more I thought about it........ this could work. I know there was a thread talking about Lowell possibly being available, but I think a
straight up trade would work.

RichFitztightly
10-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Throw in Pavano in a sign and trade and the Marlins could take Crede and whatever other position player they'd like to have.

Flight #24
10-23-2004, 03:02 PM

The more I thought about it........ this could work. I know there was a thread talking about Lowell possibly being available, but I think a
straight up trade would work.
Assuming the Marlins are willing to deal him, I highly doubt a straight swap for Crede will work. You'd have to add in an Anderson/Sweeney type of guy, which I doubt the Sox are that interested in.

That said, if Garland/Crede would do it, I'd jump on it. Unless they're willing to go get Beltran since I'd rather have him than Lowell.

santo=dorf
10-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Throw in Pavano in a sign and trade and the Marlins could take Crede and whatever other position player they'd like to have.This isn't the NBA.
AND THANK GOD FOR THAT!!! :yup:

Shingotime!!
10-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I would prefer to see Pierre come to the sox. We need speed, leadoff, and defense.

Mohoney
10-23-2004, 03:51 PM
That said, if Garland/Crede would do it, I'd jump on it. Unless they're willing to go get Beltran since I'd rather have him than Lowell.
Wow. That could definitely work for me.

hitlesswonder
10-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Assuming the Marlins are willing to deal him, I highly doubt a straight swap for Crede will work. You'd have to add in an Anderson/Sweeney type of guy, which I doubt the Sox are that interested in.

I know the Marlins want to move Cabrera out of the outfield. Does anyone know if they plan to play him at 3rd again? If he goes back to 3rd, it would have to be Garland/Anderson I think. I know the Marlins want to drop Alex Gonzalez, so they could be interested in Uribe, although I wouldn't give him up (particularly if the Sox had to take A-Gon as part of the package). The Marlins might be interested in a 1B as well. If the Sox really want Lowell, I think there are probably several ways they could get him. If they do deal Garland though, they'll desperately need to acquire some starting pitching.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2004, 04:27 PM
I would prefer to see Pierre come to the sox. We need speed, leadoff, and defense.
Agreed.This would go a long way in solving the myriad of problems
the Sox encounter this year(infield defense, no # 1 starter amongst
Beuhrle,Garcia,Contreras and Garland,no team speed).Aaron Rowand
could play right as easily as he plays center. If he's out there with
Pierre,it would be like having 2 centerfielders.Nice thought.
Hope KW will think about it.

Win1ForMe
10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I think Cabrera would be moving to 3rd. They'd probably want pitching in return.

Ol' No. 2
10-23-2004, 07:06 PM

:reinsy
"Forget it Hangar. Dont you remember? This is a small-market, we
just cant afford a guy like him"

straight up trade would work.Lowell has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a FA on Nov 7. His contract isn't worth a bag of practice balls.

Brian26
10-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I think Cabrera would be moving to 3rd. They'd probably want pitching in return.
I would rather have Cabrera than Lowell. Lowell seems injury-prone lately.

hitlesswonder
10-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I would rather have Cabrera than Lowell. Lowell seems injury-prone lately.
Well, sure me too. But there's nothing the Sox could trade the Marlins to get Cabrera. He's 21 with a career .850 OPS in 1000 at bats making league minimum. His stats look like the beginning of a HOF career. Lowell has been getting more dinged up lately, but he still racked up 500+ ABs last season.

ESPN's story on him is at http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1902843
It sounds like there's a good chance he could become a free agent. Otherwise, the may trade him and look for a left fielder.

gosox41
10-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Lowell has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a FA on Nov 7. His contract isn't worth a bag of practice balls.
I thought if Lowell were traded his option years become automatically guaranteed.

Bob

Ol' No. 2
10-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I thought if Lowell were traded his option years become automatically guaranteed.

BobThat's correct, IF he doesn't excercise his FA clause. The clause enables him to become a FA if there's no stadium deal in place, which there isn't.

CubKilla
10-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Crede to the Marlins.
I, for one, would love to see Lowell and all his "question marks" starting at 3B for the '05 White Sox. Even if Lowell goes down and Crede is no longer with the team, I think it would fairly easy to replace Crede's mindboggling .230 average with a stop-gap player. Obviously, replacing Lowell's production offensively and defensively wouldn't be that easy.