PDA

View Full Version : Manager of the year?

balke
10-22-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm not drinking kool-aid here, (mainly just water and beer) but La Russa seems to be the guy right now in my head. Playoffs are a big part of that, but also how this team has turned around, and how he handled things last season.

I had this discussion last night when Tony decided to pinch hit Cedeno for Suppan, after Suppan had given up just 1 run through 6ip. Cedeno brings the Red birds back in it and they go on to victory.

Last season, I watched the REd birds have all these sluggers, and perhaps 3 major league level pitchers on their roster. The bullpen was atrocious, Woody was the ace, and I believe isringhausen was injured for a bit. La Russa was in pain every week whenever he had to call to the pen. If they didn't go into the 7th with at least a 3-run lead, they were likely to lose the game (sound familiar?). But the Cards were still a good team last year record wise, and finished a respectable 3rd.

This season they add King, lose Drew, and are in the world Series, after running away with the Pennant in what looked like the toughest division in baseball. La Russa has managed the hell out of that pitching staff, starting back to last season, when he made them get their outs, no matter how bad they were. Now he's winning without Carpenter or Kline in the playoffs.

I like Bobby Cox as well. ANd the Stros coach will get a glance, but unlike Mckeon, he didn't go the full mile, so I don't think he should get it. And, Bobby Cox left in the first round... so it's iffy to think he'll get the nod.

Your thoughts?

Soxzilla
10-22-2004, 01:34 PM
:ozzie
"**** you"

CubKilla
10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Garner

Mickster
10-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Garner
Agreed.

balke
10-22-2004, 01:42 PM
:ozzie
"**** you":roflmao:

shagar69
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
its gotta be garner

mantis1212
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
What about the American League? Seems like a tougher question to me. (Both leagues get a Manager of year right?)

jackbrohamer
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
I think Garner's a miserable manager but the team completely transformed when he came in. If they could consider the playoffs Francona would deserve it.

MRKARNO
10-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Garner and Showalter

doublem23
10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Garner and Gardenhire

ChiSoxRowand
10-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Cox and Showalter

idseer
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
whoever managed the rangers.

MRKARNO
10-22-2004, 05:57 PM
whoever managed the rangers.

That would be Buck Showalter

OEO Magglio
10-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Cox and Showalter
Agreed.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-22-2004, 06:51 PM
ozzie guillen

dcb33
10-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know about Phil Garner. Under his watch the Astros did make an incredible run to make the postseason, but considering the level of talent they had and the degree to which they underperformed the first half of the season, I think it was almost inevitable that they would eventually break out and go on a roll.
You're all probably going to laugh at this but I think Jim Tracy should be seriously considered. The Dodgers offense (outside of Beltre) was pretty weak, the pitching rotation was in a shambles down the stretch, and they traded away two of their best players for Brad Penny, which turned out to be a huge bust. All this and Tracy still managed to win the West against a solid Giants and Padres team.
For the NL it definitely has to be either LaRussa or Tracy.
The AL pick is a no-brainer- Schowalter for sure. It will be interesting to see how competitive the Rangers are next year.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Dusty Baker.

Buck Showalter for the AL.

Cox or LaRussa in the NL.
Garner only coached the team for half of the year.

1951Campbell
10-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Hate to say it, but Garner. And the half year thing is precisely why he should win.

Question: will any team hire Jimy Williams after the BoSox and 'Stros players gave up on him? Another strike against Jimy: he is possibly the least media-friendly manager out there today.

Thoughts?

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2004, 11:29 PM
If the Red Sox win it all, after how long it's been for them, I have to believe that Francona will get it. But I don't even know when MOTY gets voted on.

1951Campbell
10-22-2004, 11:33 PM
If the Red Sox win it all, after how long it's been for them, I have to believe that Francona will get it. But I don't even know when MOTY gets voted on.
Francona doesn't get it. You don't walk into that kind of talent and payroll and win MOTY. Hell, he should be disqualified just for Pedro's relief appearance!

StillMissOzzie
10-22-2004, 11:39 PM
I agree that Garner & Tracy will be 1 & 2 for the NL. I'll take Gardenhire for the AL. He lost a bunch of FA's & dealt with a few injuries that, luckily for him, had some super subs come in to make some of them relatively painless (pun intended)

SMO
:gulp:

Jerome
10-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Bobby Cox. The Braves WAYYYYY overachieved.

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Francona doesn't get it. You don't walk into that kind of talent and payroll and win MOTY. Hell, he should be disqualified just for Pedro's relief appearance!

Oh, I agree with that, I was just thinking from the perspective of these people who vote. They will be so infatuated with the Red Sox victory (if it happens) that they won't be thinking straight.

MRKARNO
10-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Bobby Cox. The Braves WAYYYYY overachieved.

I would say that Leo Mazzone was a lot more important to the Braves' success this year than Bobby Cox, but I dont think Pitching Coaches are eligible for the award.

Foulke You
10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Gardenhire for sure in the AL. The amount of talent that the Twins lost and they still won the division. Granted, you got to give a lot of credit to the GM but if you would have told me that the Twins would win a division with JC Romero and Balfour as setup guys and Joe Nathan as a closer, I would have laughed at you.

I'm of the opinion that Garner was successful simply because he sucked less than Jimy Williams therefore, the Astros went on a tear. I'd have to give it to Tony LaRussa as manager of the year in the NL and I'm not one of the hardcore Cards fans that have appeared on the board recently. I'm actually pulling for the Red Sox. LaRussa has done an incredible job with a team that has no dominant starting pitchers.